Friday, May 21, 2021

Wednesday With Lillian and Kansas City!! Day #1 - Meeting my Brother Buster for the Very First Time!

I spent the late morning and early afternoon on Wednesday packing my bags for the trip to Kansas City. I left Irving in time to drive to Fort Worth, shop Walmart for some things for Lillian, and pick up a special sausage pizza - just for her!


She was one happy camper!
On my way there, she called me and said to hide the pizza when I brought it in....
so I did! Later I found out that she's been on a restricted diet due to the stroke she had earlier this year.
She was holding the pizza box on her lap when the cook and another worker came in to talk to her. She had refused the test they wanted to do earlier which would have allowed her to go back to a regular diet.
So, while the staff and I were talking, she calmly took one slice of pizza out and munched on it and then another.....all the while looking up at the three of us as we were discussing the test situtation.
I guarantee she will be able to pass it!


Lillian LOVES this soda and I have been to store after store in the last three weeks looking for some!
I scored 3 cases at Walmart and she was thrilled!


I hung the new pictures I had on her walls, stored away the perishables I had brought.....
she had requested jars of pimentoes and shredded cheese....
and it was time for me to leave.
I told her about my trip to Kansas City and that I would be back Sunday and come visit her again before I go home.

Nita and Mike were both home from work by the time I got over to their house on Wednesday evening.


I took my glass of iced tea and went out to wander around their beautiful back yard!
That thick carpet of grass is awesome!


Master gardener, Sheryl, lives next door to Nita and Mike and is the best neighbor they could possibly have! I lingered along the fence line admiring the work of her hands.
Can you spy her smiling face?


Nita grilled some salmon and served it on a bed of Caesar salad with cubes of dates and mangos.
It was an early bedtime for us - as in 9:00!


We were up by 3:30 and on the road before 5:00 this morning (Thursday).


I am so grateful to Nita and Mike for taking me to Kansas City!
They are both excellent drivers and the rain came off and on and wasn't too bad at all.


We were allowed to check in early at the hotel.
Can you see Mike?


This is a super nice 4 star hotel......


....and I am loving it!


We settled our bags in the rooms and then rode the free trolley system from Union Station to the River Market and back.


Nita and Mike scoped out what they want to do the next two days and we were able to take in some of the sights of Kansas City, Mo!
The wind picked up and the sky darkened as we were walking back to our hotel and we ended up walking in the rain. At the crosswalk toward our hotel, a man handed me his umbrella and said, "I live one block up, you take and keep this umbrella! I have three more just like it at home!"
People have been so friendly and kind to us!

We freshened up, dressed for dinner, and waited downstairs for my brother and his fiance to pick us up.
On March 13th, I learned through my 23&me DNA testing that I had a brother and sister in Kansas City. I reached out to him through the program and he communicated with me. I was a complete surprise to him and his two sisters, but they were so gracious to me.
I will never forget the very first time I heard my brother's voice......it was precisely 2:00 in the afternoon of Sunday, March 21st. I cannot explain the connection I felt with him from that very moment. A few minutes later, he connected the line to sister, Rita. We talked for an hour and a half that day.
Then plans began to fall into place for me to come up and meet my new siblings.

Today I met Buster in person and I will never forget this first face to face meeting!


Thanks to Nita for taking my camera and capturing this special time.


I am so happy!


And I am so proud to be a big sister to my brother Buster.


We still have two more days to visit and learn more about each other and for me to hear stories about our father.


I could not have asked for a more perfect day - from start to finish!
We all went out to eat some of the famouse Kansas City BBQ - which really is different from what we have in Texas.


From there we went here where Anna Marie's daughter works.
Anna Marie and Buster are engaged....and I have some good pics of her but they are on Nita's phone so I will use them tomorrow. Her daughter is in theater and has the voice of an angel. She visited with us for a few minutes after she got off work and then we all went out on the sidewalk by this sign and she sang for us!! Talk about a special evening! This WAS one!!


And we weren't through yet!
Anna Marie has three favorite hotels here and Hotel Phillips where we are staying is one of them.
We went to The Ambassador to admire the luxury and beauty.
So much history here of both Buster and his siblings and parents and also of Anna Marie.
So much to say and so little time.
My head is reeling with all the goodness of this visit!


Nita is such a beautiful lady - inside and out.


Other than the pics of our first meeting outside the hotel......
this is my next favorite one!
I stll smile every time I look at Buster or even a pic of him or speak about him!
And guess what??
You know how I love to look in the windows as we pass and see the little lights inside? Maybe notice a house plant sitting on the ledge? Or notice the curtains at the window?
As we were walking to the car, Buster pointed out a window with a cozy scene behind it - a plant, small light and such - and he said he loved catching glimpses of the lighted windows at night.
That just squeezed my heart......


Nita, Mike and I ended this amazingly wonderful day in a super cool place.
There is a hidden speakeasy underneath our hotel! You can't even tell it's there but if you ask, the staff will open it up with a key and you can go in. Which is what we did tonight.
Friday and Saturday are super busy and you have to have a reservation.
But tonight we sat in there and toasted this day.
I knew it would be wonderful but it has been even  better than I ever dreamed it would be!
And, yes, I am up realy late tonight but I wanted to share my joy!

Goodnight from Kansas City, Missouri...






21 comments:

markntina said...

Linda ,
So Happy to hear you all made it here. Hotel Phillips is a Wonderful hotel and downtown is really nice .They have really worked hard over the years to make it a neat place to be.
If you have a chance to go by the Old New York Life building, it is closed unfortunately you cant see the inside ,due to covid. But the eagle is really neat. That is where I work .Enjoy your trip to Kansas City and I hope you make it back again! When the weather is more decent.

Estelle's said...

Linda, this is a very special time for you I am sure....enjoy the moments and I am so happy for you to have something like this come full circle!

Arlene G said...

So happy that you were able to meet your brother and perhaps put some puzzle pieces together regarding your family. He looks like a nice guy and I would say that must run in the family.

Latane Barton said...

This is such a special time in your life. Thank you for sharing it with us all. We love that you have found family!!

Changes in the wind said...

What a wonderful post this is. Your relationship with Lillian has been such a blessing to us all and is so nice to see her happy and allowing us the most special moment of meeting your brother is hard to describe. Pray for many more blessings for you and yours.

Vee said...

😁 What a day! It must have felt surreal. Did you find that meeting Buster explains a few family resemblances?

Lillian looks so much brighter...so lovely. That sausage pizza story was a hoot!

MadSnapper said...

so very happy you started your visit with so much fun and love... what a day you have had and waiting for The Rest Of The Story.... love the pic of you and Buster

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sp moce you had company on your trip and loved seeing your pictures. Such a happy bunch of people Your brother has a wonderful smile.

Wanda said...

My heart is overwhelmed at the pictures and the love and joy in your face meeting your little brother, Buster. God is so good and gracious. Nita and Mike are so special too. Love your family.

photowannabe said...

Oh Linda..what a marvelous and exciting day you had. The pictures of you meeting Buster brought tears to my eyes. The happiness and love just oozed out of the photos.
This is truly a dream come true.
I'm so glad you had Nita and Mike to be there with you.
Can't wait to hear all the further adventures.
Love
Sue

photowannabe said...

P.S. oops I forgot to say how good Lillian is looking and I like her spunky attitude about the pizza..the look I got in my mind said ..try and stop me from eating this yummy pizza.
Sue

Bluebird49 said...

What a great post! I can't imagine one better. Now you must write that book!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow!! And now you can say you have been in a Speakeasy! I think your brother looks like you. You look so pretty in this one photo! I am wondering why Lllian would refuse this test, if it meant she may be able to go off the diet? I love Cream soda as well!

Deanna Rabe said...

Oh Linda! I started crying when I saw you and your brother together! How wonderful that they have been so welcoming to you!

LC said...

What a wonderful introduction to newly discovered family!

Lisa said...

This was a fun read. You and your brother look so sweet. He is as handsome as you are pretty. Definitely good genes in the family.

Lisa

Carole said...

So glad for you - amazing to find new family! Cheers

Cheapchick said...

I am so happy for you that you got to meet your brother. Hugs

Unknown said...

Welcome to Kansas City I live 1 city over in Independence Mo just east of Kansas City mo hope you enjoy your stay.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a wonderful post, so full of happy. I don't even know where to start commenting--except how great to have such good friends to drive you all the way to visit Lillian, who seems like quite a feisty lady.
Love that you got to meet your brother, and the pictures you posted of the two of you.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love this story and seeing the smiling faces. You and your brother do favor one another, and that part about walking by windows and loving the lights and little things like that...the fact that you both love those things is so sweet. Wow. I am in awe of this whole story. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.