Thursday, February 24, 2022

Icy Day at the Ranch!

 It's been an icy cold day at the ranch!
I went out to the end of our carport to throw out some table scraps for the horses and was shocked to see all the ice. I went back in to get my coat and ventured back out to take a few pictures.


I saw Mr. Jackson's donkeys yesterday but I couldn't see any of his animals today.


Before I went out this morning, I heard a bird chirping outside.
I eased open the front door and there he was. I don't know what kind but he had a tuft on his head like a blue jay but he was a much smaller bird. I had pitched out some black eyed peas and he had found one and brought it up under the shelter of the big red roof to eat it.


When I looked out of the girl bunk window this morning I thought it was foggy.
Not so. It was all the bushes and ground is coated in ice.

We don't get cabin fever and I'm really glad since we can't get out in this weather.
Neither do we ever get bored. There's always something to do or a book to read or a note to write.
I never run out of things to clean or pictures to paint.

Louis Dean is the same way. He can entertain himself in all manner of ways.
Today he spent most of his time working in his shop room (right next to the bathroom to the right.)
He has cleaned and organized it and even put down the flooring - those inexpensive vinyl squares.
He is seeing the benefits of keeping his work area clean.He is forever looking for something and it's so much easier to find things when it's not all piled up with clothes, trash and debris strewn about.


I do most of the cooking down here and today I made BLTs for a late breakfast.
We usually eat two meals a day and since it was perfect weather for soup .....


that's what I made.
I had plenty of potatoes since Louis Dean bought some - twice.
Potatoes, onions, red bell pepper, frozen green peas, fresh broccoli, a can of corn, milk, and a big hunkof Velveeta cheese.....plus lots of seasonings. We had little packets of red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese from the pizzas we ordered last week for Lillian and I tossed those in for good measure!


I saved some crisp bacon to put on top!
Delicious!

I did my hour of writing in my book today.
The time goes by quickly but I think it's wise to limit myself to an hour.
I find I am thinking ahead about what is happening in the time I'm writing about so when I sit down to write, I already know what I'm going to say.
Yesterday  I wrote about my life in 1981 - 1982 and today I wrote about the house fire on June 11th, 1983.  I am thankful that Summer and Jesse Jr. - who were home that Saturday morning at 3:00 AM - were able to get out through a bedroom window. 
God is a God of redemption and He has redeemed so much for me.


I ended my day with an art session.
I'm having to let Louis Dean's face dry in my other painting project.
I had really messed that up and had to do a lot of 'surgery' with brush and oil to restore the basic shape of his face!

The water has started to flow a little bit in the camper and I am hoping the weather warms up enough to get outside some tomorrow.
The Bells are planning on coming to visit us here at the ranch during spring break and I want to get the deck all cleaned up and the windows washed. Right now we are in a burn ban but I'm hoping that is lifted by then as we have a good supply of fireworks we've been saving for when they come.
We go back home the middle of next week so we need a few good 'work days' to get some stuff done!


That's been known to happen!




11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It's been in the low 30's here today as well. but we sure did not have ice like this! Sounds like your little bird was a Tufted Titmouse, they are so cute! We only eat two meals a day as well. Yours look so good!!

MadSnapper said...

we are in a heat wave the opposite of your ice wave. I can't believe it is time for you to go back to your city home. take lots of photos of the bells in the country...wish I could paint or quilt or do all the gifts you have. i don't wish i could cook, i wish i had a cook

Hootin Anni said...

Those ice photos are shiveringly gorgeous. I agree with Ginny...the bird was probably a tufted titmouse (gray crown) or a black crested titmouse (black crown of course). Both seen in Texas.

Deanna Rabe said...

We had ice overnight here too, but it's been raining now. We've had pretty mild weather this month, but we keep getting pockets of cold. Today the high will be 45 degrees! That's mild for February in Pennsylvania!

Changes in the wind said...

We are having a cold spell here in Arizona too and it is very unusual. How sweet that you feed the bird, am sure is made it happy. Your soup sounded good.

Vee said...

Wow! That's some seriously nasty weather. I hate ice so I'm hoping with you that the weather warms up. It's snowing here today. I am hoping that the remainder of winter is more springlike. Hope springs eternal.

It is wonderful that you and Louis Dean are never bored. I should take some pointers from you!

photowannabe said...

I do love that you have so many projects to keep you busy, especially your painting...happy you are able to "fix" LD' face..haha...
Brrr that icy cold is sure not for me. I'm freezing when its in the 40's.
Last night it got down to 36F. The heater seemed to be going all night long.
Hope the Bells can come to visit. Take gobs of photos.
Sue
https://allredmop.blogspot.com

Carol said...

We have ice here as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer weather and I certainly hope it is as I am ready for this stuff to be gone.

Carole said...

Ice! The nights are getting a wee bit cooler here but the days are still nice and warm. Have fun

LC said...

Same here on caution about getting out in slippery, cold conditions. That little bird may have been a tufted titmouse. Love seeing them at our feeders.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have snow here in Nashua, NH, thanks to an 8-inch snowfall yesterday (Friday). I had read about ice in TX and the photos you posted, Linda, show it can also be beautiful especially when you can stay warm and cosy indoors after taking the photos.