Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Back on the Ranch!!

 We left Irving shortly after noon heading to the ranch by way of Fort Worth.


Louis Dean took this pic of me and I sent it to Amber telling her I dressed up like a little doily today!!
That's a joke between us but she texted back that I looked very put together! (for a DOILY I thought!)


Louis Dean had loaded lots of landscape stones in that big old white truck and by the time we added a medicine cabinet and light bar that Billy and Brenda had given us, groceries from home to last us 15 day at the ranch, our clothes, books, his music, guitar, tools, laudry we were returning......two pumpkins for the goats and a big vase of roses and flowers from Louis Dean.....we were packed tight!


Amber says the fresh flowers are a nice touch!
In the middle of that bouquet is my little poinsettia from Rayne.
I carry it back and forth with me.

Our first stop was to pick pizzas at Little Caesars on McCart and second stop was Krogers to get some Cream Soda with Dr Pepper......


Third stop was to see Lillian!
First thing she said when we walked in was, "I'm all alone!"
I thinkshe meant that in a good way as she seemsto be happier without a roommate.


I think she looks like Judy Dench in this photo!


She is so beautiful and I think Lillian is, too!


She was as happy to see us as we were to see her!
We missed our January visit due to being busy and then getting Covid.
I forgot to give her the Christmas present in December so it was a nice surprise for her now.
I have tried called her so many times but she never answers. Turned out - her phone was on Silent. It's a flip phone much like Louis Dean and I liked to never have figured out how to change the settings on it!
We changed the ring tone to some heavy metal music and she likes it because she can HEAR it!!!

It was nearly 4:00 when we got on Interstate 35 heading South and our next first stop was Walmart in Hillsboro.......Louis Dean went in to the sporting goods department while I sat in the truck with t he cats. The reason we were there was for Louis Dean  to buy fishing worms. He fully intends to do some fishing while we are at the ranch for these two weeks. Last week while I was working the book fair, he set about making a worm bed. He had worms as thick as his finger and as long as a small snake.
Then he went to get them to take to the ranch and all but three of them were gone! He kept digging and digging but, alas, the birds had been feasting on his worm bed!


Sherry and Dean met us at the Lone Star Cafe in Hillsboro - just across the highway and down the service road from the Walmart.
I love that place!

We all had a nice dinner together and then I rode with Dean and Sherry to our bee meeting and Louis Dean went on to the ranch! It was a Win! WIN!! because he came in and unloaded most of the truck and set about stacking up the stones to use in the garden. Goodness! I am always so impressed with how strong he is at 85 years of age!

I got home around 9:00 or so and we still had lots of the evening to nest and get things cozy.


Christmas is gonefrom even the ranch but I'm still using the Buffalo plaids for another month.
I just love how 'country comfortable' they look.


Samantha is loving being here! She's snifted around every nook and cranny in the place!
Right after I took this photo, I caught a whiff of SKUNK and decided it would be best if I shut the door!


This is the 'pretty'end of the front room.
Louis Dean owns the other end ( and rightly so! He has his tools, music, guitars and clothes packed in tubs!) but tonight he said he was going to clean that up!
If he does, I'll be sure to document it!


These sweet cats are as good as they can be!
They were turned every which way on our trip down here.
Louis Dean pulled out from the nursing home and then saw a car coming and thre on his brakes and the cat carriers went sliding and tilted down - unbeknownest to me until I was checking on them while we were on the Walmart parking lot. I couldn't even FIND Samantha's carrier! It was wedged down between the front driver's seat and the floorboard. They never ONCE howled in complaint during the entire trip to the ranch. We have been hauling them back and forth - here to the ranch and back home again and then over to the Bells and back and forth. They are the very best travelers and are always happy to be wherever we are!


THIS was our 'Boston Legal Moment.'
Did any of y'all watch that?
Our favorite part was the ending where Denny Crane and Alan Shore have a drink on the balcony at the end of the day.

We stayed up until nearly midnight just enjoying our wine and the fact we are HERE!
Louis Dean was up early this morning - as in 7:30 -to take care of his newly purchased worms!
I slept in until well after 9:00....


This is the stack of stones he unloaded last night.
It was windy today and had some weird rain off and on -like a heavy dose of spray so the stack remains until the weather is better.


I'm glad we are here BEFORE the trees start to green up.
I love seeing them day by day adding tiny bits of color.


The sky has changed throughout the day......blue with white clouds and then a dark purple gray and then the clouds would blow past and more blue.

While Louis Dean worked on a project in the main bathroom, I nested and put up the laundry and the groceries, prepared meals and did some writing.
I was asked to write the story of finding my father's name for the Dallas Genealogical Society.
I have been in communication with my Kansas City siblings to make sure they are comfortable with that and they have all been most gracious.


Let me introduce you to my youngest sibling, Lori Gage!
She was born in September 1963 so we share our birthday month.
I 'met' her this afternoon by way of a phone chat and we had the nicest visit.


Lori and Buster


Here's my sister, Rita, and Buster and me in May 2021.
I LOVE this photo and I LOVE my siblings - even though we are new in our relationships.
I mean, who KNEW that I would ever know my father's name much less find three amazing siblings???
Only God can do this!


I will close tonight's journal entry with a photo that Lori sent me this evening.
Mary and Leo Gage.
Mother and father to three beautiful people......
Buster, Rita and Lori.

I am so blessed by all my siblings.......
Deanie born in 1951
Lanita born in 1953
Lonnie born in 1955
Luann born in 1957
Shari born in 1958
Buster born in 1958
Rita born in 1959
Lori born in 1963
And I have two deceased brothers.......Clayton Collins, Jr
from my mother and Raymond from my father,
and one deceased sister....Shirley....who shared the same father as I.
That's 11 half siblings and I am so blessed to know who they are.


12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

How wonderful that your family just keeps getting bigger and bigger. And what a loving and caring family, you are so abundantly blessed! That is a new one on me; I did not know that Wal-Mart sells worms! Lillian DOES look like Judy Dench!

Vee said...

Your story is novel worthy. It will be wonderful to tell your story/write your story for the Dallas genealogical society. I am so happy to have been around for the "rest of the story." So nice to see Lillian. Louis Dean is a man among men for sure!

MadSnapper said...

she does look like Dench and I feel the same about Bob, he is really strong and always has been. its amazing what our guys can do at 85. so happy you are at your country home and enjoying the good life once again. I have ONE brother, your family is huge.

Changes in the wind said...

Loved the pictures with Lillian, what a special relationship you all share. A well rounded trip with shopping and eating and visiting and all. LD is amazing and all he can do at this age and your encouragement has a a lot to do with it. Enjoy your time at the ranch.

Susie said...

Well Linda, your family is as big as mine. I had ten siblings. Three brothers are gone now. I miss them. When people ask if we were Catholic (big families), I always said, "no hillbillies". Growing in a big poor family was tough. But we always had plenty of love for one another.
Your cat are amazing travelers. But they sure like to venture out, which can be scary. You do not want any skunk encounters.:):) Have fun and stay safe there. Blessings, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's good to know you are back in your happy place at the ranch. I love you cozy red plaid. It really looks warm and comfy there. Your family story is amazing. You have a large family that loves you and you love them. Your story is one that should be known.

shirjo said...

I have read your blog almost daily for several years now and never have commented. I really look forward daily to reading about your life with Louis Dean and your family. I am pretty much housebound now getting around only with my walker since a bad fall this summer. I am also an artist and pretty much retired at that now but was very active in that for many years. I love your paintings. You are so good at it. Wanted to let you know there are many out here that appreciate you and never write. God Bless you.

photowannabe said...

Your large recently found family is truly a magical story. I'm glad you will be writing it down for all to read.
I have no brothers or sisters so it's always fascinating to hear about the "workings" of a large family.
Enjoy your special time at the ranch...how fun to have a special place to go to unwind. That LD of yours is amazing. I can't wait to hear more about the worm farm, fishing and where the new pavers are going.
Happy writing, sewing, painting and jus enjoying each others company.
Og yes, Lillian looks wonderful. Glad you could see her.
Sue
https://allredmop.blogspot.com

Carole said...

Now that's a complicated huge family for you to keep track of... Well done! Cheers

Linda said...

Thank you, my dear! This means so much to me!

Deanna Rabe said...

Lillian looks wonderful! Glad you made it back to your happy space!

What an amazing gift to know who your siblings are, and your father.

Brenda said...

Amazing story…