Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Snow Day in Texas!

We do not have snow in Texas as a rule......it's always an event when it happens.
But it happened last night and continued throught the morning until this afternoon.


It's a beautiful thing to look at if you do not have to get out in it - and we didn't.
Most of Texas  stayed home today.


This was a very special thing to see today.
Snow is beautiful - especially when it is a rare thing to see like it is in Texas.


The state was prepared for this and schools had already said they would be closed Thursday and Friday.
The roads were fairly empty except for those who truly needed to be out.
We may have learned lessons from last February when we had that Arctic Freeze that caused so much damage. We are smarter this year, I think.

I took pics and video from the safety of our front porch.
I really and truly wanted to go and play in the snow - but I didn't.
Louis Dean and I are doing well in our Covid recovery mode so we aren't taking any risks in getting out and catching cold. Not that that cold air doesn't feel good.
We stood outside and breathed in the fresh cold air deeply......and it felt so good!
Our thermostat is set on 68 during the day and lower at night.
Too warm and it's not good for us.


We enjoyed being warm and cozy inside and looking out at the winter wonderland.


Tabitha perched on the baby grand piano and watched the snow falling through the den window.

There were no animal tracks to be seen all day until this evening after I opened the kitchen French door - took one step out to the trash can under the eave of the house and dropped our bag of trash into the can. The next time I walked past the door  - I saw tracks! I think the possums must have heard me and then came out thinking I had left food for them. I hadn't - at that point. But I did leave some later.

Louis Dean is nearly back to normal. He still coughs and sputters as he always does.
I took a good long nap late this afternoon and have what feels like a cold. I use my Netti pot and Vicks and a nose spray. We are incredibly grateful to be having a very light case of Covid and are praying for those who are suffering - like my friend's Uncle Joe. At last report he was doing better.
We have been monitoring our oxygen and it has gone from the low 90's to the upper 90's now.
I was pleased when my friend told me her Uncle Joe was in the upper 90's, too.
That's a very good sign!

I can't thank you all enough for your kindness and prayers for us.
That's exactly why we are doing so well.

Rest assured we ARE resting and recovering.
We are NOT overdoing anything and are pacing ourselves.
Rest and light housework and reading for me. 
Puttering and watching the weather for him.

Together, we are 3 episodes from the end of Joe Pickett.
We may watch one more before we go to bed tonight.

I saw there are other Spectrum Original programs to choose from......
any recommendations from other Spectrum customers?

Then there are books to read! I finished The Carousel by Rosamund Pilcher and am starting on one of the Sue Grafton books now - N is for Noose!

We are actually enjoying these first days of February!

The highlight of my day was when Rayne made a group phone call to me here in Irving and Summer who is in Arkansas.......
It was her first one and I was included!!!
Plus she told me how to do it so I can call her and Mummers tomorrow!!!


Rayne had a GREAT snow day and this was Sunshine's very first experience in SNOW!!!!
Rayne and Sabrina made a sled of cardboard and a trash bag and ......I forget what else - but it WORKED!!!!


I absolutely LOVED hearing Rayne and getting to see her video!!!


Not just children.......GRAND children, too!!!!




26 comments:

Kathy said...

Glad you are doing better. Keep doing what you are doing. It looks like such a little bit of snow to me, but then we get a foot or more at a time.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm glad to hear you are both taking care of yourselves, ad that you still have only mild symptoms!! Enjoy watching the snow...but ONLY WATCHING!

Hootin Anni said...

I haven't been outdoors yet, but I see the outdoor temp is 29° this morning. We need to move farther south into warmer climes! lol

Love the kitty on the piano & the sled with wonder dog!!

Stay warm & be well.

Stacy said...

I haven't been on the blogs too much recently and wasn't aware you two had covid. I am glad it's been a milder case and you are both beginning to feel better!

MimiG said...

I'm so glad y'all are feeling better. Continue with the resting mode until you are truly over it. Prayers will continue for you both. I know it's sometimes hard to slow down, but there's a reason for it. What a cute little video Rayne made!
We've not had snow, thank goodness, just rain, rain and more rain. And more rain today....

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you are feeling better. Even vaccinated people are getting quite sick from Covid. My son came home sick yesterday and took a rapid Covid test which came back negative but he is still not feeling good, so if he isn't better soon, I will encourage him to take another test. Sure wish our society could get past this nasty virus. So glad you are taking it easy. Prayers for your continued recovery.

Changes in the wind said...

Pretty snow pictures and glad you and LD are getting well. What a cute little sled they made and I am surprised the dog stays in it.

Arlene G said...

So glad you are feeling better. I stocked up a cabinet with meds etc if we come down with it. I also have an oximeter. I have heard the cough and fatigue can linger. Enjoy your snow day!! We are supposed to have a call from the Dallas area today regarding estate planning with our investment company. The young lady told us that if she had power she would call!! Our family in Memphis are not doing so well...ice storm there with so many without power. I would rather have snow any day!!

NanaDiana said...

So glad you are both feeling better. Keep doing just what you are doing! I just read that old book The Carousel a few months ago. I had it on my bookshelf for years and had never read it for some reason.
Enjoy the snow there. If you want more-I will be glad to send some. xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Verey glad you are both doing so well and glad you don't have to go out in the cold and snow. I'm doing the same here. Staying in and keeping safe. Our roads are terrible. We had so much snow, they've had trouble keeping up with it all. But I'm getting cabin fever and hope we can soon get out again !

MadSnapper said...

we watched Joe Picken in 3 nights, and Manhunt in 2 nights. Bob would not watch Mad about you but I think you would like it. I have read all the Joe Picken books and the series did not compare to the books at all, they miscast the part of joe. that said it was a good watch and I liked it. love Angels sled and so glad you are doing better and taking it easy and stayed home out of the snow. good job feeding your possum, probably hard to find food in the snow...

Unknown said...

So glad you two are feeling better! God bless you and your family. Beth J from Iowa

photowannabe said...

The snow is so pretty and I'm glad you are taking it slow and easy.
Recovery takes time for any illness.
Before you know it you will be back at the ranch with your Valentine!
Love the kitty photo and Angel too. It must be so confusing to these pets.
Sue

Donna said...

SO happy you two are doing better! Covid sucks!
Loved watching Sunshine's first snow ride!! Good girl!
It's sleet and ice here in Waco...Streets are frozen in large patches. The Sun looks like it wants to pop out for a few seconds...hope the roads clear up soon.
hughugs
Donna

Deanna Rabe said...

That’s pretty snow!

Your blood oxygenation is excellent! How fun to do a three way call with Rayne and Summer!

Susie said...

Linda, I am so glad to read you and LD are getting better. Sure glad you did not have to be out in the cold weather. Yes, I for one think snow is just for kids,dogs, and skiers. LOL I pretty much hate it. We had about a foot here in two days. Which equals two feet when you are old. LOL Our mail did not run yesterday...what's that old saying?? Hmmm? Stay safe and please continue to improve. Blessings, xoxo,love you, Susie

Carole said...

Covid and snow - what a combo! Glad to hear you are looking after yourselves - this Omicron seems to have got its skates on - my sister and her husband in London have now got it as well... thankfully mild as well. We are hunkering down and hoping to escape. Cheers

Vee said...

Your voice sounds as if you could take more getting better. Very glad for the good oxygen report. I used to not know anyone who had covid; now i know quite a few. Without exception they complain of the nagging hacking dry cough that lingers. Hope that you can keep that from driving you bonkers. Rayne's dog was bailing once that sled took off. So cute! It pickles me tink that you folks can enjoy the snow and cold. Interesting that you like a cool home. I would freeze to death. 😁

Debbie said...

so much great news today, i am so happy to hear you two are feeling better!! i hope you enjoyed the snow, and since you did not have to go anywhere, it is so nice to be able to stay home and watch it fall!! i watched both video's, the sleigh riding dog, sunshine, or was it angel, either way, adorable!!

stay safe and have a wonderful weekend!!

Vick said...

Do believe we were recuperating at the same time. I was snowed in and did not get tested. Knowing all the symptoms, diagnosed myself with the help of MyChart. Also very thankful that I had a mild case compared to so many others. Your oxygen level exceeds mine, and very glad it was available to monitor. Sleep was really my best friend. Won't comment on your sprinkling of snow when I am in a frozen tundra. Wishing you and your family good health!

Sandi said...

Angel! Sweet puppy :)

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh Gosh Covid that nasty word, I went to a funeral today of a 50 year old man from my church who died ! horrible
left sweet wife 3 girls all young

I posted again !
Happy Valentines Day and you all keep getting better
I got 11 inch snow here in central Missouri Jefferson City I think got 15 inches

Jodi Walters said...

My dear Linda, I sure hope y'all feel better soon. We all have it too. It's awful and just lingers on. It's been 2 1/2 weeks already. Mark had the vaccine but I didn't because of my autoimmune condition. Joey is back at school and seems to be ok, just tires easily (So not him). Take high dose Vit C, Vit D and Zinc
(All natural anti-virals).

We've been fortunate for 2 years, I guess it was bound to happen.
God will see us through friend ❤️

Lisa said...

I’m glad you are feeling better. I have been able to avoid it so far but everyone in my family besides my husband and I have had the mess.
I love the sled.
Cute post.
Lisa

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

LInda I am so glad you are both feeling better and I'm sure you are relieved to have had the vaccine and booster which made going through covid less severe. It is more worrisome to have it at our age as our immune systems aren't as strong.

We have had lots of snow so far this winter and are used to it but I never tire of how pretty it looks. WE had a few days of sub-zero temperatures but are now back to sunny, milder weather.

Please continue to rest and take good car of each other!

Carla said...

So glad you continue to do well. We got a lot of sleet, then some big snow flakes and things froze but no snow covering. Is summer and fam living in Arkansas now or just vacation. Hugs