Sunday, February 27, 2022

Dollar Store Finds......

 It's Sunday night and we are closing up shop, cleaning and packing in preparation of going home tomorrow.  I meant for us to go back on Tuesday or Wednesday but I forgot about Election Day!


We brought a lot of food from homewith us when we came down here and wasted very little of it.
This was my cold breakfast on Friday: cottage cheese, boiled egg, avocado, tomato, thin toasted bagel with raspberry/jalapeno jam, and crispy bacon bits.


Louis Dean had a hot breakfast of the rest of oatmeal, bacon and toasted bagel.

It was potato soup again for supper.

The days have been cold and windy nearly the entire time we've been here.
I wrote for an hour on both Friday and Saturday but haven't yet today.
I may take Sundays off....


Friday was really cold and as I pulled my covers up over me, I thought of the dear friend who knitted this denim colored throw for me back in 2012 when we were about to move the camper from our driveway in Irving to the RV resort in Katy, Texas where we lived for 7 months while helping Amber take care of the babies. I've been praying for her and her daughter. They have had 3 deaths in the family in the last year. I sent her this photo before I went to sleep and told her how much I have enjoyed this cover and thanked her again for her friendship.


The ice melted on Saturday but then it rained. And the wind howled as it has been doing.
Louis Dean was working on a bathroom light and I did some art.
At long last I made chili dogs - something Louis Dean has been wanting ever since we got here!

It was so cold and gray that I never really dressed properly and when I did get some clothes on - I went back to bed for over an hour to warm up.

My flag painting is in trouble and I was working on it when at 6:20 (nearly dark!) Louis Dean got his truck keys and said, "I'm going to Waco to Home Depot! I need some wire nuts!"
Well,I certainly wasn't going to let him go alone so I put a cap on my bad hair day hair, drew in a couple of quick eyebrows, slapped some lipstick and blush on - put on some earring and sprayed myself down with cologne. I had camo legings on and fuzzy socks and wore my good houseshoes!
However,I wore a reversible coat that went down to my knees so that made me feel better!

We went staright there in the rain and the night with no misshaps.
He found wjat he was looking for and I went in **gasp** and tried to act invisible. 
I wanted to get some rose bushes since we WERE there and I wanted to get them to take back to Irving.
So I did. A LOT of them!

We were out of bread so we stopped at the Dollar store in Mart before coming back to the ranch.
HE stayed in the truck and I went in and had a good time.
They had just put out their spring things and I was there to see it all.


LOVE these little enamel country signs!
I have one stuck in the pocket of a denim curtain in here by the table where I am writing.
The other one is in the front room sticking out of some debris.
$1 each!


I haven't hung this sign yet but I will when I get through with this journal entry.
$1!!


$1!!


Now these Bee coffee cups were $3 each but I LOVE them!
You can't really tellfrom the photosbut the sides are pocked kind of like honeycomb!


$1!!


How cute are these????
They may go out by the pond and herbal garden later.
$1 each!


3 more yard staked for $1 each!
They will live in this flower arrangement for the time being.


Love little signs.....$1!


I do believe I have as much fun at the Dollar stores as Amber does at Target's Dollar isles!

Would you believe we have used up one huge tank of propane???
Louis Dean had to bundle up and change it out to the other one in the cold.
But we are keeping it on low now and not acting like we have an endless supply!

Louis Dean was telling me this afternoon how much he's accomplished since we've been here.
That man does love a project.

We did have a bit of excitement this afternoon.
I saw Dean and Sherry drive past in a hurry and then stop on the road and get out and was doing something with the mops (aka Great Pyrenees) and then go out the gate.
Turns out, when we came in last night, Louis Dean didn't get the gate locked and a couple of dogs came in and the mops were on them! Dean managed to pull Rugar off and the other dog was okay but their truck door was open and the dog jumped in and stayed. And did I mention that all 3 horses got out and were going up County Line Road? That's how Dean found out the gate was open. He read a posting on Facebook about horses being out on the road.
Oops.

All ended well but Dean and Sherry were pretty worn out before it did end.
Louis Dean and I had talked this very morning about how they don't have to look after us.
Oops. We spoke too soon.


I will close tonight with this sweet bee valentine from a friend.
It is professionally hung in the bathroom by my dressing table with a sturdy staple!



14 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I bought the same sign that you did, the little green one! Our Dollar stores are desperate for help. The Dollar Tree has to close in the mornings now because they do not have enough staff to unpack the spring boxes. They are all stacked up high in the front of the store. Your mugs are lovely. Gosh, I'm glad nothing worse happened with the open gate!

Deanna Rabe said...

You found a lot of cute things! Glad the horses were okay, Eve though they were out on the road!

You’ve had a tough visit this time because of the cold, but you’ve had a good time. God is good!

Debbie said...

i laughed so hard when you described dressing to go to home depot. i dress in a similar way. short hair does not fair well after stepping on it. another important element is, no eye contact with anyone else!!

we are so far away but our weather has been the same, so cold and blistery winds!! you are a good shopper!!

Stacy said...

Our Dollar Tree just moved into a huge new building and has so much more than it used to have. I've only been once and got a lot of Easter things. My daughter went today and got me a little Bee flag that matches the bee stuff you pictured. It's on a mini version of a yard stake and I put it in one of my potted house plants. It's so cute...if only I can get my naughty kitty to leave it alone. Love all the food photos and you've given me some inspiration. It's been ages since we've had chili dogs.

Hootin Anni said...

It's been downright cold here too!! Your heavy blanket looks so cozy & warm.
Glad to know all the critters were not harmed in the gate mishap, and now it can be avoided when the closure is doubled checked next time.
Love the cups. Our dollar store is now all $1.25 (and up).

Have a safe trip home.

MadSnapper said...

sounds like you were in the family dollar store, not the Dollar tree, which is now the 1.25 Dollar tree. I like the family dollar and dollar general and dollar tree but have never bought a sign in my whole life, and here you bought half dozen or more. love you my total opposite half. I am so glad the dogs, both Deans and the others are ok and the horses were not harmed or any one harmed. I also have never been in a home depot after 12 noon in my life. can we say opposite?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love looking in the dollar store. You never know what you might find. I go up and down every isle. Have a safe trip home again!

Vee said...

Is that you tucked so deeply under the covers? I'd recognize you anywhere. 🙂

Next time you go back to the ranch, it will be warmer for you, I hope.

What a lot of cute things you found, but then you are one of those shoppers who always
finds sweet things.

Here's to a wonderful March!

Debby said...

I enjoy Dollar Tree. I like Targets dollar isle as well. I liked it all better when it was really a dollar. Oh well, things change.

photowannabe said...

Glad everything is okay at the ranch...would hate to have anything happen to all the animals there.
Brrr, its sure been cold where you are. I'm glad you had some cozy blankets to snuggle in.
Safe drive home and happy voting..love your patriotism.
Sue

Carole said...

Your visits to the country are always full of action! I guess you do look forward to getting home as well. Cheers

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The Dollar Store is my "go to" place for decorating the outside of the apt because there's no worries if anything ever goes missing (never has). Also, the decor can be discarded or given away after use, which is what I have started doing. Hope the propane will hold out until you leave and that blanket really looked cozy. Opps on leaving the gate open, it happens.

BeachGypsy said...

ooops, sounds like it's been a bit CHILLY!! Hope it's warmed back up by now! I love quilts too, always have. Love seeing your dollar store finds! I go about once a week or so....I always find something!!--usually for granddaughter. You just never know what they will have. Are you going to Everythings a Dollar, or Dollar General or Family Dollar? Our Everythings A Dollar here recently went up.....now everything is a dollar and a QUARTER. LOL

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love all the cute bee things you find and see. I was checking to see if you had a new post. You don't usually wait this long. Hope you are both safe and well! Sweet hugs, Diane