Sunday, January 8, 2023

Our Last Holiday Meal of the Season

 I have enjoyed this first week in January.
It's a given that most people start to clean and purge about this time every year and I am no exception.
Every day this last week I have sacked up a black garbage bag of 'stuff' to take to Goodwill.
My trunk is full and I need to make a deposit soon!

Saturday I made a huge pot of potato soup!
It's always a bit different every time I make it.
This go round I used some Velveeta cheese toward the end after I had thickened it up a bit a I also added some Hatch Chili White Queso.
It was seriously good!

Kimmy and June have both been ill and both are recovering  but June is still in the hospital.
Louis Dean and I braved the dark and took some soup and cake over to Kimmy that night.
It was so good to see her with my eyeballs!

Grandson Sam was sick on Christmas Eve so we planned a family dinner while I still have all my Christmas decorations up and today was the day!


I cooked a huge roast and plenty of potatoes and carrots!
Plus garlic green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce and tea.

The appetizer table held cheese and crackers, pepper poppers - of course - and snacky stuff.


I was in a hurry and instead of dipping pretzels in almond bark - I drizzled it!
Win! WIN!!


Snickerdoodle cookies.....


and a devils food pound cake finished off the menu!

Son Jesse arrived first to watch the Dallas Cowboys game with us.
That game didn't go our way!
The kids arrived and we changed over to watching the Mavericks -
and that didn't turn out well, either.


Still, we had a lovely candlelit dinner and a wonderful evening!


We did FaceTime with my brother Buster and sister Rita and Thomas in Kansas City and we're all looking forward to a day trip up there in the coming months.

This was our last holiday meal around the Christmas table and it was a memorable one.

I am so blessed!
Thank you, Lord!



16 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. So glad that your new year is off to a good start. See you again soon!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your tabe looks beautiful, as does all the food!

Hootin Anni said...

A great time, and seriously a happy meal in a whole new sense!!!

Donna said...

You have a beautiful family, Linda...sweet smiles all around. I love Christmas. I shall miss it.
hughugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

your new year will start in February. glad you have now had Christmas dinner with all of your family... hugs

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have been doing some seriously good eating. I think it's wonderful to spread out the celebration time a little like you have done. Not everyone can make it to one, but they can do another time. You are getting a great start on cleaning things out too. Everything is waiting for me while I'm on vacation. So I'm going to be busy when I get back home.

Changes in the wind said...

Always time for one more celebration and you did it up royal.

Deanna Rabe said...

When our original plans don't work out, sometimes it's a blessing in disguise! This 'late' holiday meal has extended the joy of the season! So special!

Jesse has good looking kids! I'm glad you all have each other!

Carol said...

Looks and sounds like a really nice day.

Chatty Crone said...

You always have such wonderful meals - you must love to cook. And, you must have a big family. I am jealous in a sweet way. Mine is small.

photowannabe said...

Blessings overflowing for sure. How lovely to have another Christmas meal with those you love. The table is gorgeous and are the family.
We are having a slight break in our rain storms. At least the water has a chance to drain off a bit before the next wave comes in.
We are safe and dry inside so all is good.
Thank you Lord.
I am so blessed too !
Sue

Wanda said...

What a great first week in January for you. Your meals always look so delicious and presented with such style. Love your table setting. I put a roast, carrots and potatoes in the crockpot this morning. Already smells good.

I need to go throug Don's closet and take a load of his clothes that are Large and Extra large, as he is now small and medium at 123 lbs.

Your chocolate pound cake looks "melt in your mouth" good.

This is going to be a good month...I can already tell.

Sandy in Alaska said...

What a memory maker, Miss Linda! You have a gift for special touches that make others feel special! Plus, the best 'down home style cookin' '! Love your spontaneous touches to what you are cooking or baking! That's the way my Mama cooked too and me as well. Have a wonderful week!

Debbie said...

everything looks so divine...you sure do know how to make my stomach grumble!!

it is really nice to bring food to people as they recover from an illness. i know that first hand and it is the one thing i appreciated the most!!

i love potato soup, i must make mine soon. i need some nice fresh potatoes!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The gathering was a wonderful end to the holiday season, Linda. That potato soup sounds wonderful especially with the aded cheese.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That is quite a spread, and it all looks/sounds delicious.
The potato soup with the added cheese sounds yummy too.