Saturday, January 14, 2023

A Few January Days.....

Thursday dawned cold and windy so it was nice to stay sandwiched in bed between the warm flannel sheets and pull up the poufy comforter instead of going out to the gazebo for my Quiet Time.


Louis Dean and I are reading the Chronological Bible together - although we go at our own pace and are not trying to finish it in a year. We started it back last spring after reading through the Old Testament.
The main part of my Quiet Time is being alone with God.
Every morning I spend at least 10 minutes being still. Not thinking or praying or anything.
Just.....


After that, I move on to praise and prayers, checking in on others and writing notes.

I have saved the fronts of cards that I have received plus those that Lillian had and am using them as notecards. I love reusing things and re-reading the cards sent to me over this last and difficult year.

I went back and read some of the last messages my sister Nita sent me yesterday.
I felt pain and joy at the same time.
I suppose right after the holidays it's normal to feel a little let down and my thoughts have been on Nita the last few days.


It was 8 years ago when I decided to write my memoir and 7 years ago when I was well into my first chapter - which I later had to completely rewrite.
Never did I dream that Nita wouldn't be here when I finish my book.
Nita, Deanie and Lonnie have always been my cheerleaders and they think I can do anything.
That's because I am their big sister, I guess.
That first year  (2015) we would get together with cousins and each other and talk about the past.
Openly for the first time with everyone.
Nita and Lonnie and Deanie could remember things I had forgotten and some things I have simply blocked out. All three encouraged me to write.
Deanie drove me to all the places we had lived from 1953 to 1963 and we did lots of research as one remembered thing would lead to another.
At long last - we had a time line of our childhood instead of just a bunch of jumbled memories.

I believe it has brought some measure of healing to all four of us.
I hope so.

Every year I pray it will be the year I can finally say, "It's done."
I just wish I had tried harder to finish it before Nita left.

Although I started Thursday inside, we went out to the gazebo that evening to have our glass of wine.


Louis Dean bundled up and was such a good sport even though he hates being COLD!

Summer came over on Thursday and spent the night and I didn't get a single photo of her!


I worked some more on my painting while she was doing some computer work.
I stopped before I messed him up but then worked on him again Friday and I DID mess him up so now I must 'fix' him once he's dried.
I should have left well enough alone!


Louis Dean is keeping himself busy as he always does.
He's staying out of trouble - mostly.
This is the window of his music room and it faces the driveway.
That's tomatoes he's growing and those strings that are holding them up are the cords to his window shade. His room is so unique that I can't even describe it!!

Friday we arrived at the Bells before the kids got home from school.


Amber and Mike were going out to celebrate Mike's birthday and we were staying over there with the kids for Friday Night Pizza/Popcorn/Movie!


Louis Dean was in the breakfast area and I was in the kitchen with Amber when they all came in.
Kailey walked in and saw me first and then held up one finger to me - like wait just a minute!
Then she went past me to Granddad and hugged him and talked to him for a minute and THEN walked back over to me! I tease her about it but we both know Granddad holds a very special place in her heart just as his holds one for her.
I just love to look at Trystan and Logan and see their sweet faces and beautiful eyes!
Harrison is growing into a fine young man now and it squeezes my heart!

We had the very best Friday night!
Amber always selects a great movie and one that we ALL would enjoy - including Granddad!
Summer came over as well so it was really just like a party!


Devotion - it was excellent!

Trystan, Kailey, Harrison and Logan are all four such independent and responsible kids - far beyond their 10 years of age! They knew the routine and one by one they went up to take their shower  before the evening got underway. While they did that, Summer, Granddad and I watched an early episode of Blue Bloods. 


13 seasons so far and it was fun to go back and watch some of this first one!

Amber had ordered four huge Domino pizzas and they were delivered right at 7:00.
The kids can serve themselves, pour their own Cokes and they have all the ins and outs of Friday Night down pat! At precisely half way through the movie, Harrison stopped it and the girls made the popcorn.
Another round of Cokes and we settled down to watch the rest.

After the movie, a couple of the kids went upstairs to bed while a couple of them hung out with us and we watched some Funny Animal Videos that were hilarious!

It was a great evening!

Pam picked me up today (Saturday) and we went to Euless to watch the girls play hockey.
Pam meant it to be a surprise but I didn't know that so last night I asked Amber, "Guess who is picking me up to go to the hockey game?" and before she could answer, Harrison called out, "PAM!"
I didn't even know he was paying any attention to what we were saying!
They do love her - all of them.
She treats them like real people and talks TO them not DOWN to them.
Kids notice things like that.


Pam wore her 'mental' cap!
Isn't she cute?


It was a good game and a close one but they WON!!!
And Kailey made a goal!

Pam brought me back home and I have spent the rest of the afternoon and evening doing art, planning a baby quilt and filling over a dozen empty bobbins with thread in prep for some quilt making.
I love having them all ready to use so I can change them out without having to fill a bobbin.
I can sew a lot of quilts now!
Although my supply of cut squares is running low and when we go to the ranch, I'm going to take my electric scissors and a cutting board to whack up a bunch!

Louis Dean and I went up to see June today.
She has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks and they moved her this morning to a nursing home right in our neighborhood for rehab. She is very weak and needs to get her strength back.
Still amazing at 91!

Tomorrow I am going to bake a pistachio crack cake but use small loaf pans and muffin tins so I can share some with the workers there.
It has been well over a year since I had been in a nursing home.
Louis Dean is going to take his guitar and play some music for her.
I will need to make a map on how to get to her room because today we walked the entire facility before finding it and then it took us a long time to find our way out!
We actually ended up in the memory care unit and a very sweet lady had to walk us out as we were then locked IN! She told us lots of funny stories on the way and we laughed and laughed.
I will be sure and take her some crack cakes tomorrow!
Wonder if I can leave them at the nurses station or if I need to go BACK to the memory ward??
This should be fun!





13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have been busy! But no matter what you do, or how busy you are, you ALWAYS manage to do something generous and thoughtful to make others feel better!! You are an inspiration.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. It is always nice to catch-up on what you and Louis Dean are doing. You have been BUSY as usual. You and Louis Dean are always doing things for others. I like how you spend "quiet time" each morning too. You have great ideas and inspire me! I hope you have a good week. See you again soon!

Hootin Anni said...

Another week of family, friendship & FUN. You go girl.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful, fun-filled, joyful weekend! I am amazed at how much you are able to accomplish and all of the interesting things you do with your family and friends. I need to take some of your energy pills or whatever it is that keeps you going! I loved reading every bit of it. Thank you for sharing your life with us!

Brenda said...

Fun days…Bluebloods has become my favorite show. Since I don’t have real television, just Hulu and Netflix…the new shows are not on. Thus, on Saturday morning, I watch it on the app on my iPad. My granddaughter, who works in NYC and lives in Brooklyn, sends me photos of when they are filming there…love love this show. You sound like you are having a good year, so far…prayers prayers

MadSnapper said...

I love Blue Bloods and have never missed a single episode for 13 years. I love the actors in it. I would like to see Devotion, but i just checked and its not on Prime unless I pay 20 dollars, not doing that. it is on Paramount plus and i refuse to pay for the plus channels, which means I am missing the shows I want to see and our cable has 700 channels and nothing to watch, they even moved some of our favorites that are on permanent DVR record and we missed them.
I love hearing about your night with the kids and glad June moved closer. the photo of you with Amber and kids and pam is a great one.

Donna said...

Devotion looks like a good movie! Thanks for the video!
My sister is the quilt maker...beautiful designs.
Congratulations to the girls and their win.
Try to stay warm up there!
hugs
Donna

Vee said...

You are a wonder! I am always impressed and amazed by your activity and productivity.

photowannabe said...

Life truly is an adventure for you and Louis Dean.
I love how you make every moment count. Your Life Book is amazing and will be a treasure for all to read.
Those Grands are growing up into such wonderful people. Glad they won their games.
Enjoy your Sunday
Sue

Latane Barton said...

I think as we get older, memories are much more important to us and I think that we realize that when we are gone our memories are gone as well. You were very wise to write a book about your life. I won't say I was wise (hehe) but I did the same thing. I've typed up stories too to pass on to the grands and great-grands.

Anonymous said...

Hurry and finish that book. I want to read your story. I know it's gonna be good. I never thought about using the front of cards as a post card. Cool idea. I look at the pictures of the quads and cants believe it's been 10 years. Hugs

Chatty Crone said...

You are a world wind! I could not keep up with you. I read the chronological bible - took me over a year but it was incredibly interesting reading it that way.
I love your painting of the horse. So sweet.
I can't believe it has been ten years either - I remember her pregnant.
Love, sandie

Wanda said...

It amazes me that when I first found you on the blog, those quads were just little guys, now look at them. They are so adorable and grown up now. How they love Grandpa and you. That is so precious. God and family are everything we need.

I love each and every word and picture. I love that you bake and share. What a gift of love you are to all those around you.

It was a sad day when I had to pack away your beautiful Santa painting until next year. I will look forward to next Christmas and will put it out first. I already know where I will hang it!

Send love and Hugs, Wanda