Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Beautiful January Days!

 Monday was such a beautiful day with highs in the 70's and some blue skies!


The AC on my car just STOPPED one day last week.
The light still shines when you turn it on but nothing works.
We are hoping it's a fuse but the guy at Auto Zone didn't think so.


This was such a good photo catching us in the sunshine.....
but at our ages - we look better blurred!

We will go another day somewhere else to check it out.
Maybe Walmart since we need an oil change anyway.
Louis Dean can go there by himself and I can stay home.
We use the car AC all year round here in Texas and when you roll down the tinted windows it's not very comfortable!


We made a quick stop at ALDI for cottage cheese and the makings of a fluffy salad to take up to June.
I used a big package of strawberry Jello, two containers of cottage cheese and one of Cool Whip, a large can of drained crushed pineapple, some chopped fresh cranberries and chopped pecans! I went out to cut some mint to garnish each container but it all froze a few weeks ago! The only edible plants blooming are pansies!!


Louis Dean and I went up to visit June and play her some music.


She could NOT get warm enough so I asked for some extra blankets and propped her pillow up to shield her from the fan blowing on her.

She enjoyed the music and so did her sweet little stuffed doggie!

Tuesday was another beautiful day!
Brenda and I met up at Starbucks for some fancy teas!


I ordered  mango pineapple and Brenda had some yummy peach green tea!
I always look forward to Tuesdays with Brenda.
We visited over our tea and then hit up just one thrift store....


I spent a little over $20 total.
The Christmas placemats and matching napkins were brand new and look something Ruth Ann would have made. Those and the white pot holders will go in a special storage place I intend use for Christmas gifts - as soon as I can FIND one!

The wine plaques are on slate and will hang in the sewing room.


My best finds are these!
Brenda found the jeans for me and the Chico top while I spied the grey poncho and the Oswald Chambers book.

I came home to finish cooking supper and took some up to Kimmy and June.
I completely overcooked a ham until it was all but inedible.
The baked beans and cheesy potatoes were good, though.


So were the chocolate cookies.
I used a devils food cake mix to make them and they turned out good.

Louis Dean is not happy to have so many doctor appointments these days but he's a pretty good sport about it!


Today was a visit with his primary care doctor and he was cheerful enough even though we had spent 45 minutes in the waiting room and another 45 in the examining room with an additional 30 minutes doing the labs.

He's a border line diabetic as well as a heart patient so he sees three doctors every six months.
Now he's adding another with the neurologist.
Tomorrow we go for the results of his memory testing and then will have two more appointments in February and then we will be done until late summer!


"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring. All of which have the potential to turn a life around.








21 comments:

Wanda said...

Sweet Linda, How I enjoy your vists with June. What a cute picture of her and her stuffe pup. When my Aunt Cassie was in a nursing home, she was 98 she love her stuffed animal. One time it got thrown away in the dirty sheets. That was a sad day, it was hard to replace, but we did. But her was so loved and coming apart.
Your desserts are great. I've made those salads and they are delicious

Seeing Louis Dean sitting in the doctor's office is a copy of us. I should take a picture of Don the next time he goes.

You always zero in on the greatest buys at the Thrift Shop!

I think this is the first time I was your "first" commentor! Lucky Me.

Judy said...

Sweet Linda, is right! You are always touching, caring and loving on those around you.

The pansies on top of your cottage cheese parfaits are a nice touch!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Please let me know the results of the memory tests, I am praying about it. The first two pics of you both look so good!And what a great haul you got at the thrift shop!

Hootin Anni said...

Loved seeing June with her puppy!! Hope she warmed up eventually!
Great thrifting! And delicious looking cookies.

Brenda said...

Waiting for results…prayers

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that quote at the end. I have it by my desk in my classroom at school. Looks like you did some fun thrift store shopping. See you again soon!

Donna said...

Bless June's heart! Maybe a heated lap blanket would help? or are they permitted?
As we age it seems inevitable that doctor visits increase...ours certainly have. I'm 71 and my Larry is 75. We just celebrated our 50th anniversary last September.
Moving on Up!
hugs
Donna

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful to have nice days in January. We had hard rain here this morning but they say we may see some sunshine later this afternoon. You are so thoughtful where others are concerened and always make the most of your drift shopping. I hoping you have good results withe memory tests.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That last quote it so true. We really make a difference in our every day actions. Love the photo of the two of you...happy people! You spread sunshine wherever you go! Hugs to you both!

MadSnapper said...

even though I have watched your skills at thrift shop shopper for about 10 years, I am still amazed at the things you find. I wonder if you are a better shopper, if the store there are better than here OR if I just hate shopping so much I don't SEE like you do. agree with the last quote. Bob hates doc appts and I hate HIS appointments because i have to go with him and listen to him gripe and complain. he is not good at waiting.

MadSnapper said...

forgot to say OH NO on the AC, we use it year round here, it is more important than heat. hope it is something simple.

Vee said...

June looks content all snuggled in. How she must look forward to your visits.

Doctors appts. I could be buried in them myself, but I am a rebel..."Don't call me, I'll call you."
I am sure your way is best.

I love that photo of you both. Unique and frame-worthy!

Carol said...

I just told my daughter how to make the fluffy salad the other day. She made it and the grands loved it. My aunt used to make it all the time and we enjoyed it as kids.
I pray that LD's memory tests results are good. He is such a blessing with his music to the many friends you have shared with us here.

photowannabe said...


I just love your tender heart. You are so giving to so many.
Wow you really scored at the Thrift store as you always do.
Drs. appointments seem to take up a whole lot of time as we age..that's for sure.
Have a great day and I love the "blurry" photo of you two.
Sue

Debbie said...

what a sweet picture of the two of you, i love how you are looking at ld!! i think everyone responds positively to music, especially the elderly. my son plays guitar and listening to him play always makes me very happy!!

i sympathize with ld having so many doctor appointments. i too live that life and it can be very difficult!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Love the photos...the blurred one of the two of you is beautiful!!! Not really blurred, just softened. The salad you made sounds really good, and I am sure your friend June appreciated it and the visit even more...and the music! What a blessing! Oh, you did do good in your thrift shopping! Wow! Amazing the neat things you find! Yeah, I hear you about the Dr. appts. We have both had them this week, and still have more to go and some further tests, etc. The price of getting old! But we are thankful to be alive and remarkably well all things considered. God is good. Hope your AC isn't a big repair. Yeah, here in Florida we use it year round too...as well as our house AC. Very few days we don't need it or use heat instead. Hope all is well and that you have a blessed rest of your week.

Chatty Crone said...

That picture of you is beautiful. I hope his memory test is okay. I love peach green tea - my favorite. June is so blessed to have you. I also like Oswald Chambers!

Deanna Rabe said...

What a blessing you both are to all who know you!

NanaDiana said...

You are such a good friend to June and taking care of her needs. I am sure the greatest need you fill is one of the comfort of friendship.
I read the Mermaid Chair years ago and it was a cute story.
Great pictures of you two and I hope all goes well with LD's neurology visit. John refuses to go back and be tested. It's been two years and he should have it done. I can't force him to go though.
Have a wonderful weekend, Linda. xo Diana

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I hate doctor's appointments too, but you've got to do what you've got to do.

I'm going to try making the salad.

Good luck with the AC!

BeachGypsy said...

Love seeing your thrift store finds coz I love thrifting too! Is the AC fixed yet? Love all the pictures and catching up with you and Louis Dean!