Sunday, October 15, 2023

The Whitfield Family Reunion!

 Our alarm went off at 6:00 Saturday morning and I only hit the Snooze button twice!
Louis Dean and I CAN get up and get out early when we need to do so!

Since the car is in the shop, LD drove us over  to Mike's house in Fort Worth and we were only a few minutes after 9:00! The Whitfield Family Reunion meets in early October at Mineral Wells State Park in the Dining Hall which Cousin Toni reserves well in advance.

Linton and Myrtle Whitefield had three children - Truman, Irene, and our mother, Pauline.
During our childhood years, we would see our cousins from time to time and we went to the Carlton-Hancock Reunions in Stephenville, Texas at the Community Center every August.
That was our 'vacation' and we looked forward to it year after year.
We didn't really grow up with our cousins, though, and didn't actually  'connect' with them until I started to write my memoir.


Since Nita left us last year, only we three remain of Mother's representatives. 
We do have two other sisters who had a different father than Deanie, Nita and Lonnie did.

While the four of us have enjoyed getting together every year, only Deanie's daughter and granddaughter attended the reunion. Her son lives out of town as does Nita's son and Leah attended when she was little.


This year was extra special for me as my son, Jesse, met us there!
This was his first time and we had so much fun!

Louis Dean took this pic of us but he also took 36 OTHER pics by keeping his finger on the button!


NOT a flattering photo but it was really funny!
It was so many pictures that when you went through them fast - it looked like a video.
An awful video!
Still, I am being a good sport in posting this!!



Mike brought glasses so we could see the solar eclipse and we noticed the cool shadows of a nearby bush as we stood around outside.


Lonnie's sons live away and have busy lives as do my children.
It's hard to keep up with everyone and you can't do everything so I am not complaining!
It was just really nice to have Jesse there to meet some family he's never met before.


I absolutely LOVE this series of snapshots!!


I don't remember what was so funny but they were laughing!!


Every photo just gets better and better!


I can't look at these without smiling so BIG!


I loved every minute!


Most of the attendees are from my cousin Anthony's line - he is Uncle Truman's son and is now our eldest family member.
His daughter, Toni, does all the hard work of making this gathering happen year after year and she does an excellent job!


Uncle Truman had four children - son Anthony and daughters Paula, Joyce, and Mae Ellen.
The daughters are all in heaven now.....


but Paula's son  Richard and his wife came down from Oklahoma along with his brother Daryl.


Pam with her grandson Rickey. Pam is Joyce's daughter as is Kathy who came up from Austin and I neglected to get her photo! 
Seated is Tammy  who drove up from The Woodlands with sister Shanna - daughters of Cousin Mae Ellen who died way too young and many years ago.

Pam and Tammy were our auctioneers for raising money to pay for the rental fee and the BBQ.


We didn't have as many items as in years past so next year we will all step up to the plate and bring more. Mike donated the Christmas Santa canvas print painting and Pam donated the hand made Santa.


It was a lot of fun and Louis Dean got several laughs when he objected to my 'excessive' bidding!
Toni won the Santa painting and I ended up with Pam's Santa!


Mike outbid me - and then turned around and said 'give the Santa to Linda!'

It was such a beautiful day and everyone was in good spirits!
We are all each other's biggest fans and most of us are connected on Facebook.

Missed were Cousin Gay, Trish and Summer - all of whom were ill and unable to come.
Summer was in the ER just about all of Friday night with her diabetes running wild due to new medicine. She is back at Bar-J Ranch and recovering as I write but still in need of prayers as is Trich and Gay.

We came home tired but happy and I am so grateful to Mike for driving us!

Since we were up so EARLY - I went right to bed as soon as we got in!


I do so love a good movie!
One that makes you feel good after you watch it and doesn't give you bad dreams later in the night!


Brenda gave me a Pioneer Woman cookbook and this Quiche was perfect for a late Saturday night meal.

I realize that I did not get ONE single picture of Louis Dean!
How did THAT happen?
He was there!

Sunday morning arrived and we had already decided to watch the service online.
He was exhausted and we try not to do two days of outings back to back.
Two a WEEK is my goal and that works pretty well.

I am not the best at technology but I did figure out how to watch Fellowship on the big TV instead of my small iPhone screen.....

and the rest of today has been mellow and relaxing.
Louis Dean has puttered around in his room and outside in his storage building. 

I changed the bed linens out and worked in the yard some planting bulbs for next spring.
A little housework, a little laundry, a bit of cooking.....

We have watched football and are now watching the Texas Rangers game.

What a gift to find a package of chicken and dressing in the freezer for our supper tonight!


I cooked some corn for LD and a tray of roasted Brussel sprouts, baby carrots, and green bell peppers.


We love our cranberry sauce with any and all chicken dishes!


It's been a wonderful Sunday basking in the glow of being with my siblings and so many of our cousins.

We are looking forward to a good week.
Not only is it cooler in Texas tonight we will be in the 40's!!!
That's a dream come true!

I'm thinking it may be fireplace weather in the morning!
Even if we have to turn the AC on in the afternoon!
Hoping not, though, but I am putting the logs in and getting it ready to light as soon as we get our coffee poured.












15 comments:

salemslot9 said...

Nice fireplace
Reminds me of
wrapping Christmas pressies
A long time ago
tv on
Showing fireplace
With Christmas carols playing

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a fun time you all had! And I especially love the funny photo of Louis Dean's mistake, it is hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Love that fireplace quote! Sounds like you had a wonderful time at your cousin reunion! So nice that you are doing that annually.

Smiling at the ‘36 photos’ LD took. That way you have lots to pick from! Judy @ My Front Porch

Anonymous said...

What a happy reunion with your family!! I would like to have been there and I'm not even kin to youall. (Sure do feel like I'm missing a lot by being in Virginia!)
Glad you found your freezer meal -- sure all looked good. Especially the cranberry sauce. Oh! My heart!😘
Love you, Trudy

Rita said...

That was such a wonderful reunion!! So much laughing and sharing memories and making new ones. Just looks like the best time!! Funny photo by accident--lol! I don't do well being out two days in a row. Once a week is enough for me. Twice if they are far apart. :)

MadSnapper said...

I have done a few accdiental BURSTS with the silly phone, so can feel for LD and it is funny. brave woman posting it. ha ha.
sorry to hear about Summer, prayers for he diabetes to get regulated quickly.
Its been years since a real reunion, of the McCall family, only a few of us cousins left. We have managed 2 cousins reunions in the past 5 years, on my mothers side of the family.
you are right, i smiled all the way through the Jesse chronicles by photo. so sweet and happy

Deanna Rabe said...

That last quote describes you to a T! I love it and hope to be like that myself!

What a special time you had together as a family. I didn't grow up with any cousins or extended family. I know a few of my aunt (on my dad's side) cousins, and one cousin that we didn't know about until a few years ago! But not most of the cousins. On my mom's side I know more of them, but they were in Michigan and we were in California. We've been trying to get in a visit with them this year but I'm not sure it'll happen with our construction going on!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your happy family. Everyone looked like they enjoyed being there. I love family reunions. I will be praying for Summer and the two others you mentioned. It's sad they had to miss, but all things considered, you had a great turnout.

Arlene G said...

So glad you had a good time with family. I am afraid family reunions may become a thing of the past. Most young people just do not see the point. Hope Summer is feeling more herself soon.

photowannabe said...

That ending quote is definitely YOU Linda.
It sounds like a wonderful reunion, full of laughter and chatting..those are the best kinds.
Glad you stayed home and just "puttered" . I love those kind of days.
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful reunion! I am so happy to see other families doing this as well. We just had our family reunion, but it mostly was of our family we grew up with and our children, etc. I hope sometime we will have a larger scale reunion of our generation of cousins before we are all too old. Hey! I had an Uncle Truman too! He is long gone, but he had six kids. They always lived either in Ohio or out west, so we didn't get to really see much of each other. One cousin does live in South Florida now, and I've seen him a couple of times in the recent past. Small world, huh? Truman isn't that common of a name! He was my mother's older brother. Your pictures are wonderful. I love the laughter and fun. The auction sounds like a real hoot too!! Glad you ended up with the Santa. Hope you finally make it to the ranch. Cooler weather sure sounds good, doesn't it? We are a bit cooler today and I'm loving it too. Love the fireplace quote. This was lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Granny Marigold said...

I was warmed and cheered by this post. The pictures clearly showed the love and friendship shared by various members of your family.
I hope your daughter has her medication straightened out and feels much better.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Sounds like a very fun time.
I wonder if that eclipse was visible in my neck of the woods, or if I just missed it.
Love the fireside quote.

BeachGypsy said...

How is Summer doing, any news? Please send my get well wishes to her, thanks. The family reunion looked like alot of pure FUN! Always good to get together. what did y'all eat? I think you maybe said BBQ. Tell Mr. Louis Dean I'm real glad he got his TRUCK BACK!! HAPPY DAY! ha ha LOL. always glad to catch up with y'all. You liked my gator pictures, right!? ha ha ha ha LOL.

Wanda said...

How special to have this family reunion and that you can journal it for future generations.

A picture book of the past! What a legacy you are leaving!

It was fun to see your family. We use to have family reunions, but now with Don and I being the partriarts, the beautiful old aunts and uncles and many may cousins are gone. On my mother's side, there are 4 cousins left out of so many at one time. The 4 that are left are all in their 80's including me.