Monday, October 23, 2023

Bees, Cocktails, Cookout and a Campfire! Our October Country Sunday!

 Since it is NOT triple digit temps in Texas now, Sherry and I did not have to get up before dawn to do our hive inspections and mite and small hive beetle treatments on Sunday morning!


A good smoker is super important to a beekeeper and my son Jesse gifted me with the very BEST smoking pellets that easily make the denim scraps, wadded newspaper and such smoke for a good 45 minutes!


It was a little after 9:00 and we are armed and ready!


Sherry always keeps her truck running with the AC on in case we need to escape to protection.
Alas, this hive was dead and that's always a somber thing to see.


Wax moth for sure and maybe small hive beetles?


Such a mess!


Lots of clean up to do with this 'dead' hive.


I guess it's part of the journey in beekeeping.


These two hives were healthy and we took the honey supers off and set them aside for the bees to feed on while we put the Apivar strips in to treat the Varroa mites.
You cannot have honey supers on during this kind of mite treatment so the honey frames will be food for the bees to recover. The treatment will make the honey supers not useable  for future honey harvest so we have to take them off.


We didn't get to inspect and treat our third hive but we will go back and do that one next week!


It was a glorious day in the country!
Love the sky and clouds!

I watched Fellowship Church online and we had our coffee and reading/
A perfect Sunday morning.


In the afternoon Louis Dean saved sunflower seeds into a bottle so we can plant them where we want them next year! As along the fence line!
I have tried that for the last three years but maybe  it will finally work.

Our friend, Rosey, arrived at 4:30 on Sunday afternoon just after Sherry came down.
Dean was away in Florida teaching a Karate seminar so it was just us girls and Louis Dean for Cocktails, Cookout, and Campfire!


Rosey brought the margaritas and restaurant chips plus her famous guacamole!  


Pepper poppers are a staple at any get together!


Sherry grilled our burgers and we had such a good time visiting and enjoying being together!

Louis Dean had prepared a great campfire for us ....


We had a wonderful time!
Good food!
Good friends!
Good weather!
This makes good memories!
Rosey is our beekeeper friend from the Waco bee meetings.
Who knew how special a friend she would be to us and especially to me.
God has a way of bringing people into our lives that become such blessings.
I  love Rosey like a sister - although it is more like a daughter since she is Summer's age,

Never miss an opportunity to make a new friend.
It could turn into a lasting relationship such as I have with Rosey.
She will always be a part of my life and I am grateful for her friendship,


At Sunday evening's end - we drove over to see the new old house Dean and Sherry are having moved down to their place.



This house was built in 1925 and is such a jewel!

It is amazing and I can hardly wait until it is here on their property!

I've enjoyed these calm country days and am grateful to Dean and Sherry for their hospitality in sharing this with us.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friendship is as special to me - thank you to the bees for bringing us together!

Anonymous said...

(From Rosey!)

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh gosh, the poor killed hive! So what will they do with the house once it is settled on their property? Will they move into it? Then what about the house they are in now? That is a big beautiful fire!

Granny Marigold said...

Glorious cloud photos.
That is a very impressive campfire!
A dead hive must be a disappointment for you. A sad thing to find.
Have a great week, GM

MadSnapper said...

i can't wait to see the old house, hope you get photos of it where it sits and after the move. i love old frame houses. that fire is gorgeous. well done LD.. so glad you have another good friend

Susie said...

Linda, I am so thankful for you and Sherry and all bee keepers. We need them so much. LD's big fire would make me so nervous...men are pyromaniacs you know. LOL Love the big sky shot. Blessings , xoxo,love you guys, Susie

photowannabe said...

Your joy just bubbles out in your blog post.
I am so happy you can be at the Ranch but am sad about your one hive.
you are so right about Good Food, Good Friends, Good Weather...
There is nothing like it.
Continue to enjoy every minute of your time there.
Sue

BeachGypsy said...

Beautiful October fire and such pretty weather! The food looked so good. A relaxing and perfect Sunday.sorry bout that hive though.

Wanda said...

Restful days are such a blessing and what better way to enjoy them than at the ranch with friends and family!

Can't seem to get rid of my "bug" the cough is hanging around like it enjoys my company!!

Just haven't been quite 100% which is so unlike me. Old age is finally catching up I guess, HaHa.

Love that even if I don't feel so good, I can always visit my blog friends.
Hugs and Kisses

Rita said...

Sorry about the one hive. I hope all the rest continue to do well.

Good friends and good food. What more can you ask! And--yes--don't hesitate to make a new friend. Very true!! :)

My name is Erika. said...

I need some of that good smoker fuel. I have trouble keeping mine going for along time, except of course when I don't need it going for a long time. You said it contained denim scraps?

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beekeeping sounds complicated. I love the picture of you and Sherry in your sting protective gear. Can you tell if the hive is healthy or not just from looking at it, or do you have to open it up?
I'm also wondering how a house gets moved. Do they have to take it apart and dig up the foundation, or make a new foundation to rebuild it on?

Pamela M. Steiner said...

You are so brave to take care of the beehives! I'm not sure I could do that. That takes a lot of courage and skill! God bless you for your "service"!! Looks like you are having a wonderful time in the country. So happy for you all to be there. I can't wait to hear more about the house they are moving? I hope you will have pictures to share. That should be quite the adventure!! Have a wonderful time and thank you for sharing it with us.