Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Stink Bait and Horses!

I went to bed Sunday night at 8:00 and didn't get up until well after 9:00 Monday morning!
Country life is so relaxing.

I had a few things to do today to finish up cleaning the front room so Louis Dean decided to go fishing up at the big tank.

He asked me if he could use one of my small saucepans to mix bait up and for some flour.

I said, "Sure!"


But when I went to get the flour for him, it dawned on me that he said fishing bait and that trigger my memory of past not-so-pleasant experiences!
Like the time he left stink bait in the back of my van for months before I finally found it!
That was in our newly wed days.
Or the time he put some shrimp bait on top of the fridge to thaw - and forgot about it!
For a WEEK!
I'm not tall enough to see what's on top but when I finally did.......

So....I give him the flour and he found a can and I went back to what I was doing.....until I smelled something awful! He COOKED the bait in my microwave!!!

I had a hard time trying not to throw up as I went around lighting candles and boiling Pine Sol and Fabuloso in cups in the microwave - alternating with pouring some out on the glass turn table and cooking it for 30 seconds. Amber suggested soda and white vinegar and I did that several times!
At last the smell was gone and so was Louis Dean!
Gone fishing!


I love feeding the horses.
This is a mother and daughter and they do not allow you to come close or pet them - usually.


However, this one is my favorite and comes right up to me.


While Louis Dean was fishing, I spent a couple of hours doing our meds while watching a good movie!


I love movies that make me feel good!


Alas, Louis Dean caught no fish so he decided to clean up the brood box from our dead hive.


It was tedious work but he was determined.


Rain came in Monday afternoon and the horses came up to find shelter under our big red roof.


It was a good night to go to bed early and read!
Louis Dean's choice.


And mine.
Brenda gave me a really good book that i started as soon as we got here but have not been able to find it since! No telling where it is hiding! Good thing I have a stack of other books here!
I can only imagine of horror of not having a book to read!


Tuesday morning and our Little Miss Samantha was looking pretty!


I made a big country breakfast that held us the rest of the day.


I am going to try and do one more painting before the end of the year!
I painted this once and gave it away and now I am going to paint one for to keep!


Once I start feeding the horses and the ranch cats and the mops and Rufus -
they all become frequent visitors!


Sugar cubes and carrots!!

Sherry and I went to the Waco bee meeting - the first one I have attended in months and months!


But first - Mexican food at El Conquistador in Bellmead!!

It is just after noon on Wednesday as I close this journal entry.
I am going to pack up my laptop and get dressed as we are heading home in a little while.
This is the first time to just pick up my burse and a few things and go!
Tomorrow is Summer's 60th birthday and I want to be there to help her celebrate!
We will turn around and come right back down here on Friday morning and stay another 5 days!



And I will be right back!!!






12 comments:

photowannabe said...

What a relief..I thought you were leaving your Ranch for good..Happy Dance you are coming back for another week.
Happy Birthday to Summer..enjoy your time with her.
Love the horses and you..What a magical place linda.
Oh the Stink..yikes..glad you got it gone..
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

So did you ever get the smell totally out? I'm sure cleaning out the brood box made up for it!

Wanda said...

Looks like Sue and I caught you early this morning. What a mixture of good bad and ugly...meaning the fish bait in the micro...Yikes.

You tackle every obsticle with so much grace. Your story of Louis Dean and the fish bait so reminds me of my father, who did things just like that and drove my mom crazy, but like you she handled it with love and grace.

I still have on my bucket list to ride a horse. Love that you can be up close and pesonal with the ones at the ranch.

Oh I love the old truck Christmas painting you are going to do. I did a waltercolor of a old pickup and it hangs in our media room.

Happy Birthday to Summer! Our oldest daughter turned 60 in March! A lovely age. I was doing most of my watercolors when I was 60, as I had no children at home and used a vacant bedroom for a studio...those were the days!!

Love and hugs dear friend....Saturday mornings are my "pill box" schedule!!

Debby said...

OMG, Louis Dean is a hoot. That is so funny and endearing at the same time - okay yeah it was smelly but still...gotta love him, huh?

Rita said...

Putting up with fish bait in the microwave--now that is love.
Those are beautiful horses!
Glad you'll be right back. :)

Unknown said...

Happy 60th birthday to Summer and many more. I hope she has a wonderful day. I am one year older than her. Which begs the question, why Summer and not Autumn being that she was born in October and is an Autumn baby? I hope you show that painting when you are done.

Donna said...

Odors can be odious... :o)
But so glad you're enjoying your stay!
hugs
Donna

Sharon said...

Linda
I would help (guide him ) the next time he needs to make bait! This way you can make sure that you won’t have a huge clean up again. Just my 2 cents lol he is sure cute though. Enjoy summer’s birthday, can’t wait to see/ hear about her celebration.
Sharon k New Jersey

BeachGypsy said...

I love seeing all the animals and that pic of you with your horse friends! Forgot from a few posts back--- about a year ago we watched " our souls at night" too--- and it was a good movie. HAPPY HAPPY birthday SUMMER!!!

MadSnapper said...

I think I can smell that awful smell just reading about it. even cooking fish in the kitchen stinks up the house. I am just happy he did not cook it in metal and start a fire. I put that movie on and was enjoying it but bob did not like it. since he OWNS the remote, i deleted it from my list. I don't like to watch movies on tiny screens. i could watch what i want on any devices but i only like the big screen. i rather read that watch anyway. i am with you, no books would make me crazy. what would make me happy is to have critters and horses and dogs come to get under my roof... my oldest son will be 59 Feb 14th so i have another year for him to reach 60.
Happy birthday to Summer, the big 60

Bev said...

Hi Linda… I haven’t looked at blogs for some time!! So nice the read yours and see you guys. Hugsss

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Have fun in the country! I love catching up with you but it's hard to blog when you have so much to do! Hugs to you both!