Sunday, October 29, 2023

Celebrating Summer's Birthday and Back to the Country!

Louis Dean and I left the country on Wednesday afternoon so I could be with Summer to celebrate her 60th birthday! We share milestone birthdays since we are only 15 years in age difference.
The next one will be in 2028 when I will be 80 in September and she will be 65 in October!

We arrived home in the 5:00 traffic because Miss Samantha was hiding!
After searching for over two hours - she casually waltzed out from where I keep my art supplies having hidden herself in the back of a shelf.

As soon as we unloaded, Louis Dean drew a tub of hot soapy water and settled down for a nice long soak. 


I started the laundry - we brought home covers and tablecloths and such that had gathered a lot of dust over the last three months - and then I went out to admire and cut bouquets of sunflowers!


We had a salad supper and wine for dinner in the gazebo and went to bed early!

When I woke up Thursday morning and went out to check the mail - I discovered the front door wasn't locked - and that it would NOT lock! Our ground shifts between the drought and then the rain!

Louis Dean promised to stay home while I was gone that afternoon and I would put the cats in the guest room so he could work on the door.

Sabrina and Rayne had flown in from Puerto Rico on Wednesday and Amber and I met them at Whiskey Cake in Irving for lunch!


It's the first time I have eaten there but during Covid Amber and Mike picked up some meals to go since the dining in was closed!


They are famous for their Whiskey Cake and it was amazing!!


One slice served all of us as it is SO rich and decadent!


There were cards and gifts....


and a lot of laughter!
We lingered long at the table enjoying our conversations and being together!

They must have a full time gardener on staff!


Each table has a small vase with sprigs of rosemary they cut from this interesting herb planter!


So many tomato plants and the peppers plants were loaded with ripe peppers!

We said our goodbyes to Amber and I rode with Sabrina, Summer and Rayne to Corky's in Grapevine for some fun throwing axes!


And it was FUN!!!
I didn't really think I could do it but we had a good coach that spent the entire hour with us giving us pointers. I hit a bull's eye once!


Summer had never done this before but she was great and won!!


Sabrina used a heavier ax and she and Rayne have done this more than once.

Summer won and Rayne came in second beating Sabrina out on the very last throw while I was low man down but at least I did score a few points!

Sabrina had the idea about what to do after lunch and had planned and set this up well in advance!

I did a few errands on my way home and then captured the cats and put them in the guest room.


Louis Dean moved the striker plate up and chiseled out the space and even cleaned up the mess!!
I was so proud of him and he was even prouder of himself!
I finished the laundry and we went to bed early - again!

We left right before noon and should have arrived by 2:30 or so....
but 'we' had some confusion about which route to take and where to turn.
It really does take BOTH of us to make it down here and back.

We stopped at the Dollar Store to pick up milk in Mart and Louis Dean decided it wanted to get to the ranch by way of the road there by the store. It's a really rough road so I was surprised when he insisted on going home that way but we made it pretty well until we came to the Willie Young Road where we needed to turn LEFT!
Nope! He turned right and that's where we went wrong and had to drive 45 minutes on country roads that normally would have been a scenic drive except for the fact that I had already used up all my 'nice' for that day.


We came in from the opposite direction he thought we were coming from and that was a little disconcerting to him.


But we made it and before the storms rolled in!


We were both glad to be back.
Life is more simple here in many different ways.

Less confusion and fewer people.
Louis Dean has his 'shop' room here and all kinds of projects to keep him busy so he's never bored.


All good reminders of how to act and this is good for any relationship!

12 comments:

Debby said...

Boy, that salad looks good. Yeah, axe throwing is really popular here as well. I've never done it and probably shouldn't with my bad rotator cuff tear. It would be fun to watch. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy your time away. I love that photo with LD's overalls on the line. That dementia meme, is true with dealing with anyone but I can see how that would help with dementia or even chronic forgetfulness.

Enjoyed your post.

Wanda said...

What a fun post for such a great birthday celebration! Loved the pictures of you and your girls. All so lovely!

The Ranch is truly a little piece of heaven.
Thank you for the reminder of how to act in EVERY relationship. It's so easy to react before thinking.

Don's been having more "slow" days, and it concerns me. But one day at a time!! God is in control and He doesn't make mistakes. I take such comfort in that!
Keep health and strong my dear friend. Love you.

Pam said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful time, y'all had, celebrating a birthday! You know, I used to live in Hamilton, Tx and I know exactly where Mart is! I love that part of Texas, although I was born and raised in East Texas and lived in West Texas for quite awhile. If I had my rathers, I would move back to Central Texas so fast it would make heads spin. But, woe is me! I am afraid I will die in Oklahoma, of all places! LoL Enjoy your sweet time in the country, love! Blow a kiss to Central Texas for me, won't you?

Grace & Peace,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Your food always looks so yummy!
I am so happy you beat the rain. (We need some.)
I know your happiest times are at the ranch, so I'm happy for youall!
My memory is bad, Ed's memory is worse! He fixes my meds each night, but I caught a mistake in it last night! I doubt any of it really matters!
But I remembered my address and phone number when I fell a few nights ago and the Rescue Squad guy asked me to tell him what my name was and my address. I had no problem doing that, but I do notice my speech is changing ( from the stroke).
(I'm fine; I just could not get up when I fell.)
Sounds like you are having great times!! Sending love--y'all take care! Love,Trudy






Ginny Hartzler said...

These are very good rules!! Axe throwing seems to be the big thing right now, I have seen one already. Well, at least you made it before the storm! I like your hair!

MadSnapper said...

the restuant looks great and every one looks so happy. Happy belated Birthday to summer, and what great fun at the ax throwing. so glad you found the cat and that they did not get out while you were gone. oh non on the scenic route home. glad you beat that storm.

Debbie said...

summer looks to be filled with joy, happy birthday to her!! beautiful, lovely ladies at that birthday table and the cake looks amazing!!

i have seen herb gardens like the one at the restaurant, apparently they work very well!! ax throwing seems to be the "in thing" these days, i'm glad you had fun!!

i am going to save the meme on dementia, it holds awesome and important advice!!

Deanna Rabe said...

Happy Birthday to Summer! She and I are both October babies and both just turned 60!

That list of things to help with living with dementia are good for any memory loss issues, and yes just in relationships in general.

Rita said...

Looks like such a fun birthday gathering! Throwing axes would never have crossed my mind, but it looked like fun.
LD fixed the door for you.
You really took the scenic route back to the country but all was fine.
I appreciate the list, but it has to be so hard to manage sometimes. I think my nice would get used up quite often--lol! You are amazing! :)

photowannabe said...

You made me smile with the " I used up all my Nice" boy I really can identify with that.
The Dementia advice is so right on. I try to do those things when I do the care-giving for my friend. Kindness always wins out.
You look like you had such a great time for Summer's birthday. She looks wonderful.
Glad you are back in your Happy Place and the photo of LD's overalls is fantastic
Sue

Luann said...

Happy Birthday Summer!!! Looks like you had a fun day and I pray your 60's will be joyful and fulfilling.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you could celebrate together~ I see where Summer gets her smile, from her mama. You both look so happy! County living is definitely simpler. Enjoy your time there.