Saturday, November 12, 2022

Saturday Things....

 This has been such a good Saturday - what I call an 'old fashioned' Saturday.
One where we stay home and do 'Saturday Things.'
When Amber and Benjamin were little, I read them a book about a family - Mommy, Daddy, Billy and Susie. The book showed pictures as it told the story of their Saturday. It was homey and I do love all things homey - but good grief! They did everything from washing the car to painting the fence to mowing the yard to baking and cleaning and on and on. Totally unrealistic!
Sometimes I think I can do more than I really can on any given day - but for the most part, I am a realistic person.

Today I set realistic goals - for myself only.
Normally Louis Dean has a 'Honey-Do' list but not today!
I did ask for his help in hauling tubs of fall debris out to the storage building and then he found lids for them. I am supervising and directing what goes where so that I can find it again next year.
All the sunflower things are packed in colored tubs and will be stored in last as they will come out first.

Today he just did what he wanted to do and we all need that from time to time.
He does love projects and I was happy he wanted to clean out the kitchen pond.
Everyday he works in his room organizing and 'cleaning' and I was surprised and pleased when he put an empty wine box in the trash!! I think he is purposely trying to cut down on the clutter in his music room.


This morning we were sitting in the living room and I asked him what we did yesterday and he could not remember. He immediately said, "I have no idea."
I told him if he doesn't USE his brain - he may LOSE it!
He doesn't really NEED to remember so he doesn't. Maybe?
We play memory games as in asking questions and yesterday did seem like a 48 hour day what with making the predawn airport run and then sleeping until noon.

While he was outside, I made a big blackberry peach cobbler for him.


This is my Mother's recipe and it is a good one!
She made a good meat loaf, or a pot of pinto beans and she made cheesy potatoes as well as chicken and dumplings. Good plain food.
I make all these things just as she did - except the chicken and dumplings.
Mother would stew a chicken - and then add torn up canned biscuits for dumplings.
She never boned the chicken so it was all mixed up - skin, fat, bones, chicken and dumplings.
Nita never liked that! I guess none of us did and when we grew up - we took the bones out! Still do!


When we shopped Aldi's yesterday, Louis Dean requested we get blackberries to go in the peach cobbler.


It turned out delicious - but it took twice as long to cook as the 30 minutes it says on the recipe card.
My handwriting has changed over the years - does everyone's handwriting change?
This was my young and innocent writing I like to think.
I do believe I am wiser and smarter than I used to be and I think that's the way God intended.
We learn from our life experiences that are unique to us.
None of us have exactly the same ones.


Another thing the family in that book of long ago did was haircuts. 
At least for the guys.
I remember when my brother would get his haircut every Saturday,
Do men still do that now?
I have always cut my husbands' and sons' hair and have been meaning to do Louis Dean's for over a week. Every time I'd think about it - it was dark! 
We cut it outside on the kitchen deck.
He's so cute and so funny!
We play act like I'm a barber and he has his routine where he says,
"Don't touch me! Mama sent me!"

It's been a good day.
I did the main things I set out to do.
The Santa wall in the den is up and there were lots of Santas left over so several are in the living room, one in the sewing room and a couple in the hall and one in the dining room.

As I took down paintings in order to replace them with Santas, I purposed to paint some new art in 2023.
I will always love some of the canvases I've painted through the years but some need to be replaced.
Thankfully I feel like I have grown in my art - even though sometimes I think I have forgotten how to paint. As in Louis Dean's face in the garden watering painting!

For next year I would like to do some new landscapes - they are my favorite.
I know I will be painting the cabin in New Mexico for the owner and I took lots of 'paintable' photos I would love to do for myself and maybe my son would like one. Plus more critter paintings from the ranch.
It's a good thing to have goals and things to look forward to.

I watched Magpie Murders while I worked in the den today and now Louis Dean is in there watching college football.

I am going to close tonight's journal entry, pour a glass of wine and take it in the living room where Christmas music is softly playing and read the rest of David Baldacci's The Forgotten!



It's a real page turner!


15 comments:

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I never would have thought to combine blackberries and peaches, but that cobbler looks mighty good.
I just made some blueberry ones today.

Rita said...

My handwriting has changed over the years, too. It's gotten much looser and gone from almost straight up and down or almost backhanded to a right-handed slant or sometimes scrawl--LOL! I'm pretty sure that the older I get the shakier it will look, too, I suppose. But I dearly love to write.

I wouldn't like bones in my chicken and dumplings, either.

No, we never had haircuts at home when I was growing up. But my DIL cuts my son's hair and her boys'--and mine! :)

Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I haven't heard of this book. I can almost smell your yummy cooking through the screen!

MadSnapper said...

Thanks for the heads up on David baldassey I'll have to get that from the library they'll have it in Kendall and I'll have to wait but at least I'll know that he wrote it I do love his books! That's the way mother used to make her dumplings too she also used canned salmon when she made salmon patties and she left those nasty little bones in them and I wouldn't eat the salmon patties but after I got married my friend said to me if you don't like the bones then take the bones out she said my mother never took the bones out. We all do it different ways and that's why it's good to talk to people because we figure out things that we might not have figured out before

Anni said...

I would not like bones (or the skin) in my dumplings either!! Depression era, where nothing was wasted!???

Looking forward to seeing your holiday home decor.

Susan~aredheadonthego said...

Hi sweet Linda. Don’t know if I’m too late for the drawing for the Santa painting, but if not, please count me in! Been so busy at work that I am backed up on my blog reading. Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I also don’t leave bones in chicken and dumplings or salmon patties. Sound like you and LD has nice day. Your paintings are always lovely. Such talent you have. Jan

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm still wondering about the chicken and dumplings...I've never heard of someone leaving the bones in. It's one of my favorite dishes. I had something funny happen this week. My youngest son was traveling from Houston to Arlington and he told me his route. He drove through Mart. Isn't it a small world? Hugs to you both!

Changes in the wind said...

Sounds like a great Sat. to me and doesn't LD look cute with his new haircut. Peaches and blueberries hmmmm might be a hit.

Chatty Crone said...

So you gave Dean the day off. lol
The cobblers sound so good. You do cook/bake a lot.
You my girl are always busy!

photowannabe said...

I'm glad you are trying to set realistic goals for yourself.
You manage to get so much "stuff" done, I am always amazed...
Love this post and all the warm and cozy things you are doing.
Stayed home from church today to let Dave's surgery heal. He still looks a bit tender and puffy from the cataract surgery.
It's nice to have church available on line for these times too.
Sue

Carol said...

My husbands grandmother left the bones in chicken and dumplings as well and to this day, he WILL NOT eat them. It sounds as though you had a busy day for a day at home.

Carole said...

Love the history in that recipe! Cheers

Susie said...

Linda, Yes my hand writing is different now too. I think I am always in a hurry maybe that is why. I had to smile about the haircuts. I bought a devise called a Flowbe. It attached to a vacuum cleaner and I cut Ted's hair for all the years we were together. I would tell him to keep me reminded when he needed it because I would get busy , then think of it at bedtime. Well no one wants a haircut then. LOL Hey, I could never do chicken with bones or skin.. mommy used biscuits as dumplings too. Mommy was not a great cook. She could make potato salad and fry chicken. We later teased her about cooking...saying when the smoke alarm went off the chicken was done frying. She fried it hot and fast. I sure miss my mommy. Blessings to all, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Your cobbler sounds wonderful. I have combined blueberries and peaches before, but not blackberries as they are not as easy to get. Yes, my handwriting has changed dramatically since I started using a computer more than handwriting. It's sad that we are gradually losing those fine motor skills of handwriting because of the electronics we use. I love hearing about your Saturday activities...it's all so warm and happy. Yeah, I would definitely debone the chicken for chicken and dumplings. And remove the skin and fat too. I love seeing your beautiful home and rooms and decor. Oh, and thank you for becoming a Facebook friend as well! Sometimes I know I share some things there that never make it to my blog, and vice versa...so if you want the full picture, you have to read both! LOL. Today was busy for us, so I am begging off writing tonight. Have a blessed and peaceful evening!