Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Tuesday's Treasures and Wednesday.....

 Last Tuesday Brenda was vacationing in Florida but she was back for our regular Tuesday thrifting day! We started off at Texas Thrift on Beltline Road and then to Angel's Attic in Grapevine.


This is an upscale resale shop and this week they were having  a sale of 40% off of everything!


My friend, Shirley, was telling me about this place on Monday when we visited so this was our first time to shop here.

We stopped for lunch at Jason's Deli and then finished up our day with a trip to Hobby Lobby.


All in all, we had a real treasure of a Tuesday!
The sunflower painting above is one of Brenda's treasures but I'm going to jazz it up a bit for her.


I found some cool things at Hobby Lobby like the sunflower napkin rings, clock for our front porch, place mats, yellow table runner and some metal honeybee knobs for the bathroom cabinet at the ranch.
That chocolate brown Lucky Brand bag was a good find!
I bought some textiles to use on our front porch once we get a new roof on.


So many pretty things!
I have thrown out a good many decorations lately that have just grown too shabby even for me.
I am loving all the fresh looking replacements I've found.
It's like God put little surprises for us here and there to find when we are out thrifting.

Before I left Tuesday morning, I hid the big container of cooking oil. 
Louis Dean likes to fry things when I'm not home!

He was napping in the guest room when I got home so I went about taking my pictures and putting all my purchases up. I heard him in the kitchen later and went in to see him at the stove with the can of shortening! He was melting about 3 CUPS of it to fry some potatoes!
I started squawking like an old wet hen and poured two cups of the melted grease in a container and reminded him that I was serving pinto beans and cornbread for supper.
In the end, he peeled four potatoes and cut them up for French fries and cooked them - in only ONE cup of oil! Guess I'll have to hide BOTH shortening and oil next time.

Louis Dean has spent days going on weeks now putting our gazebo back together again.
The fly in the buttermilk is the electricity!
I think he's just about ready to call it DONE!

We went to bed so early on Tuesday night that we were up well before our usual time this Wednesday morning!

We had coffee in the gazebo before he went back to work and I went to ALDI for groceries.


I've had our medicines out on the den table for the last four days trying to get all the boxes filled.
I needed a refill or two for him and some OTC things from Amazon and finally finished that chore up late this afternoon!


Dinner tonight was like a Mini Thanksgiving!
Chicken and dressing, peas, and sweet potato casserole.

Summer arrived from Arkansas in time to eat with us!
I'll be taking her to the airport in the morning as she leaves for Washington, D.C. where she will meet up with Sabrina and Rayne for a short vacation.

I think I'll go to bed now.....



11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your new finds are awesome! I especially like the bee sign.

Unknown said...

That whole hiding the cooking oil from Louis Dean and then him using 3 cups of shortening to fry some potatoes had me laughing so hard. I found that whole scenario so funny. You found a lot of nice things while out thrifting. I haven't found anything in so long. That sunflower picture that Brenda found is going to look beautiful once you get through with it. Hope Summer/Sabrina/Rayne have a nice time in Washington, DC. My brother lives there, that city is huge!

Anonymous said...

Boy, I could eat some of that sweet potato casserole right now. Ed won't eat it...so I don't fix it!😶. Love ya, Trudy

MadSnapper said...

i would love all your mini TG dinner. yuuuum. bees and sunflowers seem to be everywhere these days and now they are showing up in your thrift stores. it is funny and sad about the frying of potatoes. made me think of my mothers fries. she cut them up and did them in crico. daddy would not eat them so it was a rare treat when she made them for us and not done often

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh Louis Dean, funny that he thought of the Crisco. I love seeing all of your thrifted bargains, and Hobby Lobby finds, too. :)
Della

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So funny about the oil/crisco. LOL. Some men are just so determined to have their way! LOL. Your thrift store finds are amazing! You have some really good thrift stores where you live! I try to stay away from them because my house already looks like a thrift store! LOL. That supper sure looks good. I like the idea of some chicken and dressing and sweet potato casserole...sounds yummy! Be sure to show us the sunflower painting when you get finished with it. I know it will be outstanding! Thank you for this bright sunny post today. So full of joy and sunshine! Have a blessed rest of your week.

BeachGypsy said...

Didn't Loretta Lynn have a crisco commercial way back in the day!? Lol or maybe it was shake and bake?? Florence henderson had Wesson oil-- " wessonality" I think. I grew up with a big coffee can of bacon grease on the Cookstove! HA ha LOL love your thrift store finds! We are planting sunflowers this weekend!hugs!

photowannabe said...

Your treasures are fantastic. So bright and cheery.
I'm just trying to get stuff off our dining room table that we are selling on eBay.
That's why I posted the picture on my blog today..Sometimes messes are overwhelming.
Your food always looks so yummy..and you sure need to keep an eye on LD and his cooking. 3 cups of Crisco..yikes..
Sue

Wanda said...

I would plan a Tuesday trip to Texas just to go Thrift shopping with you! I never finds such treasures in our local thrift store. We only have two within our range...and the Goodwill just never seems to have anything I want or need.

Bright and Cheery ~ everything you found fits in that catagory. I love new placemats and I love cloth napkins.

I had to laugh at LD and the oil and crisco....haha..That man loves to FRY!
I think your "Thanksgiving" dinner looked so good.

We don't do much frying, but nothing taste better than old fashioned "fried food",

Sending love and hugs
Wanda

Deanna Rabe said...

Lots of great treasures!

I need to go through my ‘debris’ and see what needs to go. Some are just things I don’t use anymore.

I hope Summer and Rayne and Sabrina have a great visit in DC!

Debbie said...

i read the last 2 post backward and it's funny to do that. to read about the purchase of new things after you have already admired them!!

i am not a good thrifter, i am very good at tossing out treasures that i should try to repurpose but i find i am too impatient for that!!

our town opened a new aldi, i have yet to check it out!!

angels attic...that's a great name!!