Monday, February 27, 2023

Celebrating Family in Kansas City on Saturday and a Visit With Kimmy and June on Monday!

 I have been SO looking forward to Saturday, February 25th!
Sister Rita invited me to join the family at the baptism of her two youngest grandchildren.
ALL of her children and spouses and grands would be there as well as Buster's two daughters and their families.


I was honored to be included and excited about going with my son.


Jesse arranged for us to fly up on Saturday morning and back on Saturday night.
Summer stayed here while I was gone and she and Louis Dean had a great day together.

I felt like a movie star for flying up for the day!!!!
It was so much fun!
I love flying and it had been a good 10 years or more since I have gone anywhere by air.
The last time was when Summer and I flew out to San Francisco for my birthday back in - I can't even remember!! We did the whole Napa Valley Wine Tour thing and had the best time!!

My brother-in-law Thomas picked us up at the airport - they live just 8 minutes from there while I live 7 minutes from DFW Airport! If we had arrived just two days later - it would have been at the new airport just about to open!


My brother Buster and other family members were already at the house with Rita.
My handsome brother!!!

I have to say that I was a little shy about taking pictures so I don't have a lot to share here in tonight's journal post - but more will be coming soon.

Rita had been up early baking the best strawberry bread for which she is famous as well as a big brunch of breakfast casserole, potatoes, biscuits, fruit! Thomas made the gravy and it was ALL absolutely delicious.

Their son, Joe, and his beautiful wife and two children were there as well as Danielle and her daughters and Megan their beautiful daughter. 
Let me just say right now - EVERYONE was beautiful!!!
I'm serious!!
And they were all so kind and welcoming that I had a hard time not tearing up.
We ate and visited and then it was time for Buster to take us to his home and pick up Anna Marie before we all met at the church for the baptism service.

While we were at Buster's house, he took us down to the basement so Jesse could see his grandfather's workshop. My children never had a grandfather in their life and I believe Jesse was touched to see photos and the things his grandfather had touched and made and where he had spent so much of his time.


This is Anna Marie and she is SUCH an amazing lady!!!
She is a performer, a singer, an entertainer, and just the most sensitive kind soul and I love her dearly!
She is unexpectantly shy in a group but I insisted on getting a photo with her and thank you, Danielle, for taking it for me.


This is Ashlee, one of Buster's daughter's holding her sister Brook's new baby girl.
This is who I'm making the baby quilt for and I did not get it finished in time!
I appliqued fabric hearts on the front using the floral backing material and it really needs pink rick rack around the hearts. I hope to get that finished and in the mail early next week!

The babies were as entertaining as they could be during the baptism and they had a photographer that got some amazing photos, I'm certain of that!!

From the church we went to this restaurant Em Chamas.
I so wish I had snapped a few photos!
Elegant and delicious and so much family that it took up a complete dinning room.
As good as the food was - the fellowship and visiting with one another was even better!
I met Rita's cousins and best friend and many others.
I'm still trying to get names straight!!
A few family members read my blog and that just about blew me away!
How blessed I am to be a part of such a wonderful family.


This is my niece Nicolette, son Jesse, and niece Megan!
Cousins!!

Everyone loved Jesse and he was happy to meet everyone.

Our return flight was delayed by a couple of hours and that gave us more time to visit as several of us went back to Rita and Tom's house.

I wish I had taken a video of all the happy talk and conversations we all had together.
We mixed and mingled and I truly feel like I'm getting to know my family.

How shall I describe them to you?
They remind me of the TV series Blue Bloods.
They are close and happy, supportive of one another and laugh and love the Lord with all their hearts.
Every single one of them welcomed me with such grace and charm.
You know, when a family suddenly finds they have a sister/aunt they have never known, you could certainly understand if they were a little skittish at meeting her.
But not mine.
It is an honor and a rich blessing to be a part of this incredible family!!!

Saturday was a magical time from start to finish and I loved getting to spend the entire day with my son.

Since our flight was delayed, it was midnight when Summer picked us up from the airport and 1:30 on Sunday morning before we got to bed.

My going on 75 years old body decided to rest all of Sunday.
I had made plans to go to church and later to visit with Kimmy and June....
but instead I slept and rested and spent time with Louis Dean.
He and Summer had fun while I was gone and he took her out to eat - however he still managed to escape while she went thrift shopping. He high tailed it to the grocery store and bought LOTS of things while managing to get back before she did!
I haven't looked online at my bank site to see how much he spent yet but whatever it was was worth it.
He is doing so well and what's a little $$ when it makes him feel good?

So Sunday was a rest and recover day for me and real life started this Monday morning!


I started coffee off in the KC mug Rita gave me - I always save the last cup to drink mid afternoon.
Rita also gave me the KC goblet the first time we met and I use it for my tea.
Spring has sprung in Texas and when I went out to cut mint for my tea - it was everywhere!!!
I rue the day I planted mint IN THE GROUND!
One should always plant it in a pot or a plot of its very own.
One time Louis Dean tilled up the mint bed and you know what it did?
MULTIPLIED!!!

Summer is still here for the next day or two and we shopped ALDI this afternoon.


Oyster crackers were over $3 a bag at a recent trip to a regular grocery store.
$1.35 at ALDI.
I wanted to make dilly bits which I love to use in place of croutons on a salad or a topping for cottage cheese.


It takes so much dill that I buy it on bulk.


I made two batches for me and Summer bought four bags so I made those up for her.
She is living at the Bar-J Ranch in El Dorado, Arkansas and has her own little cabin. 
She often entertains and serves meals or has teas with a charcuterie board and such.
These dilly bits will be a big hit when she goes home.


I also made a HUGE fluffy salad!
For this version I used strawberry Jello, cottage cheese, Cool Whip, broken pecans, canned crushed pineapple, canned peaches diced, fresh raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.
It is seriously good!

Summer drove us over to visit Kimmy and June tonight.


I sat in June's walker but my feet couldn't touch the floor unless I stood up!


I had meant to come visit as soon as we got back from the ranch - but that didn't work out.


I promised to be back soon and June promptly asked, "WHEN???"

As soon as I close tonight's journal entry, I will take the last remaining Christmas tree down from here in the sewing room. Tomorrow I hope to bring in some Easter decorations and certainly some spring 'debris.'

I forgot to mention my grand niece, Sylvia, who is 11 years old.
She loves Fall every bit as much as I and I think I have found myself another Mini Me!!!!
I still have so much to share about my Kansas City family.
Louis Dean and I plan to drive up there in early May as he has only met Buster, Rita and Thomas.





15 comments:

Vonda said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit.
Vonda

Rita said...

Really sounds and looks like just the very best time! You look beautiful! Everybody looks in fine spirits. What a trip!! :)

Anonymous said...

After years not knowing you had this loving family in K.C. , voila!You have a big family in spades, sweetie!! ( And all of them beautiful!) I know they love you, 'cause who doesn't, really?!
Can't wait to hear more. Ed says his ribs are healing good. I think I may have a little "something "but,I will manage.
You ,Jesse, and Summer all are so, so beautiful! (Yes, Jesse, too!) And your new folks in K.C., as well!
Love you, precious Linda!

Hootin Anni said...

What a fun, exciting baptism. I just FEEL your pride within

MadSnapper said...

Your joy is jumping out from reading the post and I am so glad you got to fly up and back in the same day that sounds like a perfect adventure and then add in all your beautiful family and all the fun that you had it makes for a magical day!

Vee said...

If we could have looked into the future just a few years ago, we would have been shocked to see what a beautiful resolution to your story. God is so good to get your puzzle pieces put together. Love it! So glad that Jesse went with you. It must have been surreal for him to be in his grandfather's workshop.

You are the glue in lots of people's lives. If it takes a rest day every now and then, I am not surprised.

Have a fun, pleasant week.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How great to visit your other family. It does sound magical having found them after so many years. I love those dilly bits they are really good ! It's also good to have another trip planned for the future. Oh, yes, family is the best!

photowannabe said...

Family...there is nothing like it !!!
What a wonderful adventure. Your Jesse is awesome to arrange the trip to meet more of your new found family.
The pure joy just pops out of this post.
I am so happy for you.
P.S.
Summer looks wonderful too.
Sue

Betty said...

Your hair looks so pretty what a wonderful opportunity to attend the christening. Your children are very special to help you make this happen. Beautiful family

Susie said...

Linda, So glad you had a great time with the family. Family is everything. Sweet Summer always smiling and being in good humor. Just love that girl. It seemed like a lot of fun to have in such a short time. You needed your rest after, I am sure I would. Blessings to all, love you, xoxo, Susie

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love that you were able to make this special trip for such an important occasion. I still don't know the "details" of your family in Kansas City, as I haven't been reading your blog for that long. Maybe you can direct me to some older posts that will bring me up to speed on the story...I'd love to know all about it. Anyway, I am so happy for you to have had this time with your family. How wonderful that Summer was able to spend time with Louis Dean so that you could relax and enjoy the time with your son and family. God certainly works all things together for good...Amen? Take care, and let me know where to look for the "back story" when you have time. Thank you!

Judy said...

How special is that...to be air lifted to such a wonderful 'family reunion'? So glad they made it happen...and you could be part of it all! BTW...I like your hair! Nice that Summer and LD had such a good time on the home front while you were away!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time you had with your relatives

Donna said...

How Fun you got to fly to see the family! I know they are as happy as you are to visit with them!
Also, I'm glad Louis Dean had a bit of fun as well!
hugs
Donna

Estelle's said...

Linda..I know this meant the world to you...it's amazing how much you and your brother favor each other....so glad you were able to experience such a lovely family celebration....marvelous!