Sunday, February 12, 2023

It's All About Louis Dean.....and Samantha!

 Samantha is a bit more of a social butterfly than Tabitha!
She is especially so in the mornings - as if she missed us all night !


This has been a busy week what with getting our car repaired and then taking the truck in for a power steering oil leak that has been dripping onto our new driveway for the last two years!
We actually meant to take it in on Wednesday but it rained all day so we waited.

The special thing that happened is that when I woke up on Thursday, Louis Dean was already dressed and had prepared the truck to take it in - meaning taking his tools out and getting the keys ready to leave with them. He was so anxious to leave that I didn't even make up the bed or put on all my normal make up!

We took it up to Midas for Charles to find and fix the problem  knowing they would need to keep it overnight. Louis Dean is especially fond of his 2001 Dodge Ram 350 truck and sorely missed it!


To take his mind off of the fact his beloved truck was not sitting on the driveway - he made cinnamon rolls and they were really good! These have a good bit of cinnamon sugar on top and didn't require icing. AND he cleaned the kitchen up so well I only had a little touching up to do on it!

While he was working in the kitchen all afternoon, I was close by in the den taking the Santa wall down. I also had Santas scattered all over the house from the den to the living room to the hall and sewing room and even one in Louis Dean's bathroom!
They are all safely packed away now. Except one that I was still working on!

Charles called to let us know the trouble was NOT the power steering pump  - but the power steering box and transistor. It would be ready by Friday afternoon!

The special blessing of Thursday was that Sherry spent the night with us.
She was to work from her office in Irving and that worked out great for us to get a little visit in with her.


Louis Dean plays music just about every single day and that's such a good thing for him to do!
Most nights I go on to bed leaving him playing his guitar awhile longer.
He was a happy man knowing he would get his truck back the next day.


He seldom remembers what our plans are the day or even what day of the week it is anymore.
He looked so cute when I got up I took his picture and sent a Good Morning video to our sweet Jutta who lives in Finland and has visited here a few times. We have missed her since Covid.


He's not always happy about going to the doctor but Friday he had his 6-month follow up appointment with his cardiologist.


He's a pretty good sport about it all.
He sees four different doctors and all of them every six months.
Plus he's had a few extra appointments lately!


I am just so blessed that it's not a big ordeal to get him there.


He's not always happy about it but he goes without too much of a fuss.

The report was fairly good - they did an EKG on him and Dr. Uppalapatti has been monitoring him for a pacemaker for the last couple of years. The time is getting closer she says.
His heart beats very slow and I am to watch him closely and if he were to feel faint, dizzy or pass out - I am to call 911 immediately and get him to the ER. Do not hesitate, she said.
She also said, "I am worried about him since I only see him every six months -  so you must stay alert."
Another problem was the dementia medicine he is now taking also lowers his heart rate so I must contact his neurologist and request a different medicine.

I am so very grateful we have such good doctors to take care of him.


We made a grocery run at ALDI.


He dearly loves Buffalo Wings so I stocked up on sauces.


Bu the wings were so expensive that I bought chicken legs instead.
My thinking was there's more meat for the price!
He was reluctant at first - but he loved them!


I cooked a couple of baked potatoes in the crock pot and grilled two small filet mignons for Friday night's supper!


We ate in the den by the fireplace and watched the Netflix series Anne- With and E!
I am totally in love with this series and have spent a lot more time watching it on TV than I normally would. I will be sorry to get to the end.


Opened this journal entry with Samantha so I will close it with her as well.
She's such a pretty thing!

I am in a period of time where I'm trying to figure out how to best take care of Louis Dean.
The diagnosis of mixed dementia has just put a name on what was already there.
It is an honor and a privilege to be married to such an amazing man.
In June we will be married 18 years and these have been the happiest years of my life.
With the grace of God I am going to do my best to take care of him.
I had the neurologist place where he did the memory testing send me a copy of the report so I could read it for myself.
Nothing major has changed over the last two years - just more of an awareness of his behavior for my part. He is still in the very early stages and since he's 86 years old, I am hoping we will continue with our normal life with adjustments and modifications as needed.
I have a great support system and the very fact that Louis Dean and I are still deeply in love makes everything easier.

I close this journal entry with this reminder for all who will possibly need to deal with a Loved One who has dementia......

If I get dementia, I’d like my family to hang this wish list up on the wall where I live. I want them to remember these things.

If I get dementia, I want my friends and family to embrace my reality. If I think my spouse is still alive, or if I think we’re visiting my parents for dinner, let me believe those things. I’ll be much happier for it.

If I get dementia, don’t argue with me about what is true for me versus what is true for you.

If I get dementia, and I am not sure who you are, do not take it personally. My timeline is confusing to me.

If I get dementia, and can no longer use utensils, do not start feeding me. Instead, switch me to a finger-food diet, and see if I can still feed myself.

If I get dementia, and I am sad or anxious, hold my hand and listen. Do not tell me that my feelings are unfounded.

If I get dementia, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am.

If I get dementia, I still want to enjoy the things that I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read, and visit with friends.

If I get dementia, ask me to tell you a story from my past.

If I get dementia, and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me.

If I get dementia, treat me the way that you would want to be treated.

If I get dementia, make sure that there are plenty of snacks for me in the house. Even now if I don’t eat I get angry, and if I have dementia, I may have trouble explaining what I need.

If I get dementia, don’t talk about me as if I’m not in the room.

If I get dementia, don’t feel guilty if you cannot care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault, and you’ve done your best. Find someone who can help you, or choose a great new place for me to live.

If I get dementia, and I live in a dementia care community, please visit me often.

If I get dementia, don’t act frustrated if I mix up names, events, or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault.

If I get dementia, make sure I always have my favorite music playing within earshot.

If I get dementia, and I like to pick up items and carry them around, help me return those items to their original place.

If I get dementia, don’t exclude me from parties and family gatherings.

If I get dementia, know that I still like receiving hugs or handshakes.

If I get dementia, remember that I am still the person you know and love.”

15 comments:

Vee said...

You two are blessed to have each other. How good to be able to take this journey together. So glad that Louis Dean did not have to be without his truck for long.

Debby said...

I think he is doing well. He’s got a great nurse.

Vonda said...

Oh Linda, thank you for sharing the guideline for dealing with dementia. I going to print it out. Thank you also for the wonderful note and bookmark you sent. Prayers for you & Louis Dean.
Vonda

Chatty Crone said...

Girl you are always so busy - I would be so tired. I loved that poem and made a copy of it - sad tho.

Carole said...

Good advice. Cheers

Ginny Hartzler said...

This dementia list is so sad, and very true. All of these are so RIGHT.I am hopigng and praying that it will progress very slowly,especially with the medication. Goodness, after what the cardiolgist said, it seems that he should maybe get the pacemaker now!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. This is a lovely post. So glad that you are both doing well. You and Louis Dean are so blessed to have each other. God bless you both with a long and joyous time on this earth and eternity together in heaven! See you again soon.

Brenda said...

Prayers prayers…

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

With you there to help him, I'm sure you make LD's life more comfortable. You do see to what he needs. I think Samantha is adorable and I'm glad she is a social cat. Animals are good therapy for many things. I hope you have many more years together.

Donna said...

What a sweet testimony to LD... Isn't being in love grand?
Glad the truck is being repaired.
I Loved the short video!! You should do more of these...if not for you then for the children and grans.
All my Christmas is cleared out, sadly. I love Christmas.
hugs
Donna

Donna said...

Prayers for you and Louis Dean.

MadSnapper said...

I am going to print the list at the end, in case we need it. LD looks so good,so handsome and happy. Prayers for all of you and espceially you and LD.. Smanatha is so sweet. glad the truck could be fixed.

Deanna Rabe said...

Louis Dean is an amazing man! I know that when my MIL had short term memory dementia she stayed sweet and easy to deal with because that is who she was. Seems as if that is LD too! So glad for you all, and that it is early stages and hope the medications help it stay that way!

My dad is nearly 83 and he just had a pacemaker put in. It's made a huge difference even in his balance!

Samantha is a pretty kitty!

photowannabe said...

Linda, you are so blessed. The past 18 years certainly are your best years. Louis Dean is your knight in Shining armor.
One day at a time and thankful that the dementia is slow moving.
The journal entry is so right on. I saw it with my mother in law and father in law and now with my friend that I do elder care for each week. Great reminders of how to rethink our actions for everyone's best days ahead.
Sue

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That really is a cute picture of LD you took for the video.
You both look so well and happy, and are blessed to have each other.
Thanks for sharing the Alzheimers list. Wish I'd had something like that back in the day when my mother was still alive.