Friday, December 30, 2022

We are at the Ranch!!!

We left for the ranch at 2:00 on Wednesday afternoon and stopped on the other side of Dallas for a late lunch at Whataburger!

We were really hungry!!

The only other stop was at HEB and that didn't take too long.


Still, it was dark when we got to the gate!


It's always a special moment for me when we arrive!

Dean had called and warned us that there wasn't any water to the camper OR the big bathroom due to broken pipes.


The cold water pipe to the shower and busted all the way down even though Louis Dean had insulated it well.

When we got in, it didn't register on me that the girl bunk wasn't down flat.
Dean had to get under that for some repairs he had been doing inside the camper before we arrived.
I had let the cats loose and figured I'd make the bed up with fresh sheets after we unloaded the truck.

Sherry put all the food I'd brought in the fridge for me while they guys were checking out the broken pipes. That's when I noticed the cats were outside!!!
So then we were all out there chasing them!!! 
As it turned out, Dean discovered a really big water break from the faucet they use for the ducks.
If he hadn't been out in the field with a flashlight looking for cats, he would not have found this until the next day!
He was able to turn that water off and repaired it the next day.

The cats were enticed to come in and all was well.

We had one faucet outside that worked from the rain retrieval system so we filled containers with water from there and settled down for the night.


Thursday the guys went to Waco to the Home Depot for parts.


Louis Dean looked cute sitting out there waiting for Dean to come up and go with him.

I stayed at the ranch and walked down to see the critters and visit with Sherry.


All of them survived the Arctic blast of last week.
The black on the roosters comb is frostbite.


Dean and Sherry had just finished getting hay into the new shelter for the goats only one hour before the cold arrived!


They put all the goats in one pen.


I'm sure the mops love their heavy coats in the winter!

Thursday night a wild storm blew in and it rained HARD!!!!


We brought all our fall pumpkins down to feed the critters.


I heated up a big bowl of turkey and dumplings for Louis Dean ....


and I had a salad.

I'd set up the art table and painted some before bed.


I have some new paintings planned so I want to finish up the two from this year before it's over!





Bless his heart!
I took this picture on Thursday night - he's trying so hard to get the water fixed.

Today (Friday) I did not take one single photo.
Louis Dean and Dean worked all afternoon and still no water.
LD repaired the shower and when Dean turned the water on - the water heater fittings were pouring out water! They had to drain the heater and take it out of the work room - so Louis Dean had to practically 
move all his tools and such out to the front deck!

I went to the girl bunk and stayed out of their way for three hours reading.

Tomorrow is another day and hopefully they can get the water back on.
I see another trip to Home Depot and this time I'm going, too!

I'll close tonight's journal entry with something my friend, Mary, put on her Facebook.
I just love this!


At birth we boarded the train
and met our parents, and we
believe they will always travel
on our side.
However, at some station
our parents will step down from
the train, leaving us on this
journey alone.
As time goes by,
other people will board the train;
and they will be significant
our siblings, friends, children,
and even the love of your life.
Many will step down
and leave a permanent vacuum.
Others will go so unnoticed
that we don't realize
they vacated their seats.
This train ride will be full of joy,
sorrow, fantasy, expectations,
hellos, goodbyes, and farewells.
Success consists of having a
good relationship with all
passengers requiring that we
give the best of ourselves.
The mystery to everyone is:
We do not know at which station
we ourselves will step down.
So, we must live in the best way,
love, forgive, and offer the best
of who we are.
It is important to do
this because when the time
comes for us to step down
and leave our seat empty
we should leave behind beautiful
memories for those who will
continue to travel on the train of life.
I wish you a joyful journey on the
train of life.
Reap success and give lots of love.
More importantly, thank God for the
journey.
Lastly, I thank you for being one of
the passengers on my train.




23 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. I love that allegory of the train ride of life. That is certainly the way life is. So glad you and Louis Dean are back at the ranch. I hope you can get all the water pipes fixed and have some time to relax too. I love your paintings. Happy New Year to you and Louis Dean. Wishing you health and happiness in 2023.

Chy said...

Oh no! What a big mess. I hope it is all sorted soon so you can enjoy the rest of your time at the ranch. Be well!

X Chy

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the Train Of Life story!! Wow, you had a hectic adventure right off the bat when you got to the ranch! I sure hope it all gets fixed really soon.

Brenda said...

Hope you have water soon…the poem sad.

Sandy in Alaska said...

Oh my gosh! What a wild experience right off the bat for ya'll! I always feel sorry for the guys having to figure out how to fix those unexpected things with what they have on hand....which winds up being something they don't have. We are blessed that our fellas can keep things fixed and running for us. Hopefully, water is running and working once again and peace and relaxing will take place!

I was soooo jealous of ya'll's Whataburgers!! My FAVORITE! We don't have them up here (snivvel snivvel!) but when I'd go visit my parents in Kerrville, we'd always go a couple times while I'd be there. I haven't been back since they passed away.

Thank you for sharing about the Train! It made me stop and think and reminisce.
Ya'll have a great time at your camp and may God bless you all this coming year!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Life is always such an adventure. You never know what's going to happen next. Hope they are able to get the water leaks all fixed soon. We never really appreciate it until we don't have it. You've had more than your share of water problems. Here's hoping next year will be better! Happy New Years Eve!

Anonymous said...

Miss Linda - I admire your patience because I don't think I personally could handle more water problems. So good of you to take to your bed to read and let them figure it out - getting worked up doesn't help anything, does it? I wish you and yours a fun time at the ranch and a peaceful and happy new year.
Maryellen

Changes in the wind said...

More plumbing problems and just when it looked like it was all fixed. That storm caused a lot of problems for a whole lot of people. So glad Ld and
Dean are able to fix it and know what to do. Poor rooster with frostbite. I want to wish you a very happy New Year for 2023!

Rita said...

Hope you get your plumbing problems fixed soon.
Lovely poem! Happy 2023, fellow passenger! :)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Love two things on this post; the painting with the red truck. I want one like that someday. And the train ride story.

I bet it feels good to be back at the ranch, minus the busted pipes!

photowannabe said...

I just love your paintings and what a good way to wind down..so sorry that you are having more water pipe problems. It seems things never stop do they?
Our yard is flooding from all the rain in the last 24 hours..the worst is a leak starting in the roof by our chimmeny..I sure won't let Dave up on the roof to fix it!
Not sure how we will deal with this next installment of adventure.
Sue

Vee said...

Sounds exciting down there! The poor rooster with the frostbite. Glad the critters all survived...a sign of good caregivers.

I really like the train analogy. My daughter has a similar one talking about conveyor belts. 🙂 Yes, I prefer the train.

Have fun down there. Hope the weather has straightened around. Take good care...

Judy said...

Oh, the adventures and challenges of life! I will wait for the 'happy ending' regarding the water pipes. Hopefully tomorrow is a new day and water is running as it should! Enjoy your time at the ranch & happy new year!

Brenda said...

Just wanted to add I have again chosen a word...again I am using believe...nothing else fits...I have a particular reason for choosing this word. I also typed wishes for the family, and we read them at our little New Year's Eve meal today...it was a hit...

Chatty Crone said...

•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ NEW YEAR ☆
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥

Debby said...

Happy New Years!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Hope you will enjoy your time at the ranch.

The train allegory is a good one. Thanks for sharing it.

Blessings~

Wanda said...

Oh Linda, one problem after another and you and Louis Dean take it in your stride. This is such a beautiful quality you both exhibit. It reminds me of that verse that says "In this world you WILL have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world." I guess without trouble we would never have the joy and peace of the good times.

Yes, you paintings are just wonderful. Love the red pickup and tree.

The farm animals make me smile, as growing up we had chickens and one goat and a pig (till he became ham and bacon! Cats and dogs, turtles and frogs. I love peeking in on the ranch with you.
Happy New Year, and may God do a might work in your 2023 journey.

Wanda said...

PS :ove the peom and train ride of life. [

Hootin Anni said...

Happy New Year to you and loved ones!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry to read about the broken water pipes, Linda, and hope all will be repaired soon so you and Louis Dean can enjoy your happy place at the ranch. Sending our best wishes to you both for a very happy and healthy New Year.

Carole said...

Woop woop - have a great time

Donna said...

I'm sorry the pipes broke...
The story made me cry...beautiful.
hughugs
Donna