Monday, June 27, 2022

Celebrating Our 17th Wedding Anniversary a Bit Differently This Year

We met through eHarmony in April of 2005 and married just 2 months later! 

 June 26, 2005 at 3:00 in the afternoon!
It was a beautiful day - both then and in our memories.

We thought Louis Dean was doing better on Saturday but it was early Sunday morning when he stumbled to the camper door and said he wanted to go home.
When I saw EARLY Sunday morning - it really was!
Sherry and I were about to suit up and check on the bees along about 7:30.
By the way, the bees are not thriving! 3 hives are simply surviving and we have honey harvest hopes for only one super in one hive! We will be lucky to get a full gallon of honey this year!

By 10:00 we were heading home.
Dean was teaching a Karate class at 10:30 at the ranch but, since the students were driving in from the DFW area, he arranged to teach there instead of here so he went on to Dallas while Sherry did the critter chores and I packed up and loaded the van. I didn't know I could do that!
By this time Louis Dean was getting chills and the only thing I could find for cover inside the truck was a pair of overalls. 
You might be a redneck if you wrap the legs of a pair of overalls around your neck like a blanket!
Sherry made really good time and we only stopped once for a potty break.

Summer and Jesse were at the ER waiting for us when we arrived.
Tan, a friend of Summer's, works there in Irving but lives in Rowlett.
Rayne has grown up with his children so he is a good family friend.

While there had been a line previously, by the time we arrived, we walked right in and went right back to an exam room. Summer had brought Sonic drinks and snacks so we were all set, and good thing, too!
The attending doctor came in and they started running some tests to determine how to treat Louis Dean.
I heard him say, "I know you, Doctor Sheffield! You treated me the last time I was here."
Really??? I said, "What? Did you come here without me one time?" I thought NO WAY that happened.
But it did!!
It happened on our last Sibling Trip which was in February 2018 when Louis Dean came down with the flu and Stephanie (our beloved next door neighbor) marched herself over to our house and took him up to the ER!

They checked him out and he was negative for Covid, flu and the likes.
Then they took blood and urine samples and ran more tests.

He was VERY dehydrated and was put on an IV right off the bat.
But they couldn't let him drink anything until some of the tests results were back.

This is his look of pure bliss when they finally brought him some ice chips!

Bottom line - it was heat exhaustion that took him down.....and he has pneumonia in his right lung.
The left lung is clear. So he was admitted to the hospital and by 6:00 we were in a room.

I am so fortunate to have such a great support group.
While he was being admitted, I was asked what kind of support we had.
At first I thought she meant financially so I told her we were retired.
No, not that.
We are so very blessed because we have a huge support group!
Children, siblings, friends, neighbors, family and extended family....
and beyond that - all the prayers of so many friends like you who are reading my words right now.

Summer and Jesse did not leave until Louis Dean was all settled in.
And I sat in the quiet of the room, I looked out the window and it was raining!!
Not everyone got rain but it was here in our section of Irving.
What a blessing!
I didn't have to water after I went home that night!

I stayed until 10:00 and I have to say it was so hard to leave him.
At this point he was a little confused and was calmer when I was right there beside him.

I drove home so thankful for the Baylor Angels taking care of my husband and praising God that his timing is so perfect!

As soon as I got home, I went about 'putting things to right' as I call it.
I used to say I would 'get even.' But that didn't sound right.
What I mean is that when I come in the door, I have to put things away and deal with whatever I have brought in and getting everything back in order.
I emptied my purse and carryall, started a load of laundry, made coffee for the next morning and then proceeded to put up all the things we had brought home with us from the ranch.
Sherry had unloaded the truck for us after dropping us off at the hospital AND she had put a lot of stuff away! Win! WIN!!
What we do without them???
It was about midnight when I ate a salad I'd brought form the ranch and had a glass of wine before taking a shower and washing my hair.
I went to bed and fell right to sleep.

But mornings come early!!
My alarm went off at 6:00 and I didn't get up to the hospital until 8:00.
I didn't know that the front doors aren't open until 9:00! I thought I'd have to walk around back to the ER entrance until a guy came up and waved his badge or something at it and the door slid back!
I asked, "How did you DO that?" and he said, "MAGIC!"

It was a black and white day for me!
I needed a big bag to bring a fuzzy blanket up her among other things so it worked out perfectly that my bags matched my outfit!
I am really and truly a Bag Lady!

It's been a good day.
Both of our favorite neighbors came to visit this morning and both were bearing goodie bags!
We have been working our way through them all day!
Tamara brought this mini flower bouquet and every nurse and staff that have come in since has commented on it! Flowers from her garden and the vase is a recycled scented reed holder. 
The golden leaf is so pretty!
Can you see the comb?
Who but Stephanie would think of that!!
Indeed! I combed Louis Dean's hair and he looked like he felt better just having that done!
He's taken a few bites of yogurt and nibbled on some snacks and I had a nice salad lunch and made a couple of big containers of iced tea!
 When the ladies came up, Louis Dean lit up like a Christmas tree!!
He is still a charmer no matter how sick he may be!

I've been eating a lot it seems!
Salad from Stephanie and this was after I ate most of the bacon/cheeseburger from Louis Dean's tray.
He an only eat a little at a time.
The hospital food is exceptional here and I'm already looking forward to dinner.

He did manage to get a treat this afternoon!
Who knew how happy a popsicle would make him?? 

Last night I pack a roller bag with my laptop, needlework, books, a fuzzy warm blanket....
and a Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin spray hand sanitizer along with a Crisp Linen Air Freshener.
While it may look like a hospital room, it sure doesn't smell like one! 
Plus I brought a small bottle of Happy perfume for me.

Amber came up this evening for a nice long visit.
Here she is showing Granddad the GET WELL video the kids made!!

Logan sent this clever card with a sweet message inside and Kailey sent a note sealed tight in an envelope! We couldn't wait to see what she said!
Trystan made one, too, but it didn't get here with her Mommy so she made a video of her reading it.

All in all, Louis Dean was greatly cheered by his visitors today.

He has been making some good progress.
All the tests are back and he's on antibiotics for the pneumonia.
The heat exhaustion has caused severe dehydration resulting in body chills, aches and diarrhea.
I'm writing this journal entry right before I leave the hospital for the night and he is in much better shape now than he was at 8:00 this morning.
He still needs help getting out of bed and has to hold onto something to stand up.
But he's going in the right direction.
That being said, one of the sweet nurses checked him a little earlier tonight and said, "You are doing good!" He said, "Then why do I FEEL so bad??"

At one point today, he did say he knew he had made a breakthrough and would be getting well.
For awhile there he didn't think he would ever ever feel good again.

The latest news on Nita is that she is 'trending up' and I like that term.
It's baby steps and our heart is filled with hope for Nita to recover and gratitude for all those who are praying for her.

Goodnight and God Bless You!


Tina said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Louis Dean! So glad he’s feeling better and getting such good care! Hope he gets to come home soon! Take care both of you! Prayers and hugs πŸ€—

Carole said...

Hope things continue to be on the up. Kia kaha

If you go to this link you should find a nice turtle wishing a speedy recovery!

Deanna Rabe said...

Oh friend! Such positive news for both Nita and Louis Dean! Praise God! Trending up! I like that term!

I’m glad you’re eating well, and taking care of yourself, too!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so glad to read this update on Louis Dean and Nita! He is in really good hands, and I am glad they are keeping him there until he is really ready to go home. A few more days of antibiotics and fluids, and he will be right as rain! You look so beautiful in your black and white...I would never have guessed you have been losing sleep. I sent you an e-mail just awhile ago. Your hospital sounds wonderful. Ours is a mess. A friend's doctor told him to go to the E.R. immediatly, and the doctor said he would call ahead and let them know. Well, when he got there with his wife, the E.R. made im wait in the waiting room three hours, till 1 A.M. before anyone saw him! Then he had to stay in the E.R. all night waiting for a room.

Jan said...

Oh my goodness! So glad Louis Dean is better and that Nita is trending up. Keeping you all in my prayers!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful wedding pictures.
Belated Happy Anniversary!
Glad to hear LD is feeling better, and that your sister is on the up.

Brenda said...

Prayers and thankful he is on the mend. Prayers for sister also. I must say you look out together no matter what and lovely:

Brenda said...

Put together lol

Bluebird49 said...

Good to see Louis Dean is feeling better. Hope both he and Nita continue to improve! 😍

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Praying for both Louis Dean and Nita for healing! Take good care of yourself, too, Linda! Your husband and sister need you.❤️

Kathy said...

Glad to hear that both LD and Nita are doing better. Your family has had quite a time of it. Take care of yourself. You are needed. Many prayers being sent your way.

MimiG said...

Prayers, love and light being sent your way! LD is going to have to learn to take it easier than he has in the past - you'll just have to nudge him some. As always, I continue to also pray for Nita and her medical team. It sounds like both Nita and LD are exactly where they need to be. And remember to take very good care of yourself.. Much love.

Vee said...

Praise God. Thank goodness that I had a head's up from our friend Deanna who reads your FB page. You sure know how to call them, Linda. Heat exhaustion will do a number on a person. Louis Dean looks well taken care of and so well loved. The look on his face watching the grands' messages is so bright.

Wonderful to read that Nita is trending up. That's a good report.

Seeing Louis Dean under cozy covers reminded me of this:

"The beloved of the Lord shall dwell in safety by him; and the Lord shall cover him all the
day long, and he shall dwell between his shoulders." Deuteronomy 33:12b

Sending love and prayers for all...

Arlene G said...

So glad LD is doing better. You do have quite the support team!!

MadSnapper said...

I am using a mantra right now and it is one sentence that means the same thing as the HOPE at the end of this post. This too shall pass! I say it over and over and over. we do need hope. I am happy to hear there is a little improvement in LD and Nita and prayers for all of you and shout hallelujah that you have the worlds largest support group

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My goodness you are dealing with so much but I know you are strong and have that wonderful support group. Give Louis Dean lots of hugs from me and I am praying for him. I'm praying for you and your sister too. Take care of yourself my friend. And let others help you when they can!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Well, I want to say "Happy Anniversary" to you two, and in a way it is a happy anniversary, because you know Louis Dean is getting better and hopefully will be able to go home soon. I know it's been a scary and difficult time for you, with your sister so ill as well. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you are being pulled in two different directions emotionally right now. May God give you strength to hang in there and keep that lovely smile on your face! God is good, and He is taking care of 'business'. Amen.

Changes in the wind said...

So glad he went to the hospital and thankful he is better. Hugs....

Estelle's said...

You certainly have your hands full! Saying prayers to be restored to good health! Warm hugs!

Susie said...

Linda, I am thankful you got LD to the hospital and he is doing better. You are one tough lady. Also thanking God for Nita bit of progress. Keeping all of you in my prayers. Also praying for you and LD to celebrate many more years together. Blessings and love Susie

photowannabe said...

Praise God for answered prayers.
I'm so glad LD is on the mend. He definitely is right where he needs to be.
Your hospital sounds wonderful.
Prayers continuing for you LD and Nita. Peace and rest.

Debby said...

Sounds like some good news, for both Louis Dean and your sister. May the trending up, continue to complete healing.

Brenda said...

Hope you Susie are ok

Angie said...

Gosh I’ve missed keeping up with you. Sure hate my first post back to read and you have dealt with se much sickness. I’ll be praying for Anita and Louis Dean! By the way you looked fabulous in that black and white outfit ❤️

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Thanking God LD is feeling better and for a good hospital. And thankful for “ trending up! “ Prayers continuing for all.

LC said...

The expression on LD's face is priceless! Who knew a popsicle could bring joy. Praying.

Judy said...

Happy anniversary to you two! Love the pic's! So sorry that he wound up in the hospital, but glad to hear is on the mend.