Friday, September 11, 2020

Sister Luann, Lillian and Summer's Hand Surgery.......

 Summer and I had a good time Thursday with my Sister Luann.


She invited us to lunch at Lupe Tortilla Mexican restaurant and it was fabulous!!


Luann is as sweet as she is cute and I could not be more proud of her!
She is a certified grievance counselor and a dedicated volunteer and teacher at her church.
Plus she has a heart as big as Texas and is always quick to help someone in need.
I think she has as many or more 'adopted' grandchildren as she has of her own.
Everyone loves Luann!


We were celebrating my September birthday and Summer's October birthday.
Luann's was in August and I am ashamed to admit it got past me without even sending a card.
Every year I say I am going to do better with remembering birthdays and every year it's still hit and miss. I am not consistent on many. I must do better.
She was too sweet to say anything.


I had the soup and ensalada.....SO good!


Summer and her aunt shared fajitas.


Loved the decorations and we will for sure be back!
This restaurant is close to Luann's super nice home.


This is her kitchen. Love all her debris......aka De' Bris!


She claims she has little creativity but I beg to differ!
Her home is so tasteful and classy!
She has such nice furniture - with history!
The sofa and chair are from England.
The table Luann is sitting beside is from Turkey.


Look at how exquisite it is.......


Such detail.


I loved all her inspirational plaques.


She bought this one in Galveston where the proceeds went to help the homeless.


Her home is as interesting as she is!


You can tell she is a devoted Christ follower.


And she has the gift of laughter!


What an intricate design......all one piece of paper.
I know there's a word for this......


We had a regular gift exchange!
Summer received some fancy cards.



Luann gave me two of these clever wine glasses!!

I brought her a jar of my wildflower honey, a couple of Louis Dean's cinnamon rolls, a few spiced pumpkin muffins, and some fruitcake cookies.

We had such a good visit and she took us to a re sale shop where I found lots of treasures.
I will take pics of them and show you later.
While I was shopping and browsing, I had one of many phone calls from Pioneer Steel in Waco.
As a matter of fact, I spent a solid hour or more on phone calls between me and our contractor, Ronnie, and Mark and Adam - both salemen at Pioneer - as well as their manager, Donald.
Bottom line - they delivered a custom order of steel and metal to the ranch in Rustic Red.
I ordered Bright Red. As in the Bright Red on the roof which is 14 feet tall and on the higest part of the ranch property. I cannot and will not ever be able to see this red roof and that's turned out to be a good thing. Because I am stuck with Rustic Red for the skirting and carport.
I used up every ounce of nice I had but I did say what I had to say.
Not that it mattered in the end.
Donald did offer to order the Bright Red sheets of metal and give them to us at cost - but the cost was still over $1,000. They could easily change out the screws and stuff since they were standard and they had tons of them onsite.
Summer said she was proud of me for the way I handled the situation.
I am disappointed but in light of eternity, it is a small matter indeed.
I'm sure I will like it once it's up.
I have one metal sheet of Bright Red leftover from the roof and I will think of something cool to do with it!

We left Luann's with me still making phone calls and Summer drove us to Walmart over on Hulen by Trail Lake Nursing Home.

I picked up a list of thigs for Lillian.....she likes pickle loaf, and chicken salad, egg salad and macoroni salad. I bought her bananas, mayo, bread, voluminous hair products (she's so self conscience about her thinning hair) and a few other things.


I spied this coffee and plopped it right in the buggy!


Along with these great looking pumpkins!
They now sit proudly on my front porch!


We know the routine now.
I take the groceries in and place them beside this inner door.
A staff member comes out and takes them inside and sprays them down before taking them to Lillian's room. I called to tell Lillian I was there and she brought her phone with her when he came down.


I put my phone on speaker so Summer and I could both talk to her.


She looked good! Better than last month. 
She was wearing earrings and a bracelet and a cute outfit!
She has an iPad now but the Internet signal doesn't reach all the way back to her room.
Summer told her she would check on getting an signal extender.
Her new roomate is Fay and, while she is bedfast most of the time, she is a good companion for Lillian and speaks English and knows who she is.


We talk every few days on the phone but it's not the same as seeing her in person.


Summer was an extra blessing to her!

By the time we got home last night, I was exhausted!
Summer had surgery scheduled for early this morning, so I did Damage Control - Louis Dean had been left home alone all day - and prepared for an early bedtime.
Actually it was more of a nap!
We were up at 3:30 this morning and at the Surgical Center - which was a suite in a strip mall in Plano - at 4:37. No one was there. Doors locked. Lights dim. Voice mailbox full.
I was counting on going inside with Summer to use the bathroom but that wasn't happening now.
She drove me to a QT station and then we came back and parked and waited.
Summer was driving because it was DARK and I can't see to drive at night anymore.
About 5:10 someone drove up and parked. She told Summer to give her 5 minutes and she would open up. So much for being on time! Or nearly!


Surgery was at 6:30 so as soon as they took her back to prep - I crawled up on the bed in her van and went to sleep! She has a sunroof and the temp was 60 degrees. Perfect sleeping weather!

Summer did fine during the short surgery to fix her carpal tunnel on her left hand.
Once this heals, she will have the right hand done.

We left here at 4:00 this morning and was home by 11:00.
7 hours!
I stopped to get her pain meds and a Smoothie and she has had a good day.
Slept some. Watched some TV. 

I took a good long nap and then set about doing my day's work.
Tomorrow will be a Home Day and I have much to do.
A quilt to make and a gazebo and front porch to decorate.

While I have been sitting here in the sewing room writing away.......


Little Miss Samantha has been twitching her nose at the Halloween tree!


She managed to get on eof these small ornaments off earlier today and I found it hung on some fall branches in the foyer! Guess she was redecorating!


She's so cute!
She and Tabitha do very well living in this house!


Sometimes - like today when I got up from my nap - I have to go around and straighten something or pick something up. But for the most part, they play and frolic without making much extra work for me....unlike someone I know. But bless his heart. He's pretty cute, too!









16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So glad Summer is doing well after the surgery. I would think the kitties would just love to bat at the Halloween tree decorations! that Turkish table is so beautiful, and how sweet of you to buy all the special things for Lillain.

Bluebird49 said...

Goodness, what a couple of days! I love Luann's house, too. That Turkish table is really something, and I love that big, comfy sofa. All her beautiful decor
speaks of her beautiful heart.
So glad you and Summer and Lillian got to visit. I know she loved it, and the pictures were so poignant.
Samantha is a decorator like her mom, huh. Of course she would be!
Sorry about your "red mixup", but glad you held it together! (We can do "hard things, can't we!!) In the grand scheme of things, it's not everything!!��
Sure hope you are fast asleep and do sleep in tomorrow. You are a wonderful mom, Linda! And friend!

Bluebird49 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie said...

Linda, What a time you have had. It was nice to see your sister and Summer . I know Lillian loved her visit with you and Summer. You cat looks like it is part of the Halloween decor. So cute. Blessings to all, be safe, xoxo,love you, Susie

Changes in the wind said...

What a pretty Mexican food place and the fool looked awesome. Glad Summer had the operation and hope it was successful. Lillian looks weaker to me but more time has passed since I last saw her, so glad you were able to go visit.

MadSnapper said...

You had lots of practice cleaning up behind Louis Dean before the kittens got there and it makes there's not look as bad haha glad the surgery is done and over tell Summer she looks beautiful in that purple shirt when she's leaning on the door talking to Lillian and I love the hands on the door that is just beautiful

Arlene G said...

Luann looks a lot like you Linda. I think it is the eyes. Definitely can tell you are sisters. So glad Summer is getting her hands taken care of. Lots of stitchers have carpal tunnel issues but so far I do not for which I am grateful. I loved seeing all of Luann's pretty things. Like you I like the paper cutting...I won't even attempt to spell the German nam for that but it is lovely.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's so nice your birthday celebration is still going on ! It should be celebrated more than just one day for sure ! Glad the surgery went well, bu my what a long day Hope she can get the other done soon. I've heard that it makes a huge difference. Your little kitty blends right in with all the fall colors there. Our cats used t love playing in our Christmas tree. We had to secure it with fishing line to keep it upright.

Debbie said...

luann's home is very nice and your lunch looked delicious!! i have a few very special pieces of furniture but most is just run-of-the-mill stuff!! too bad about the sheets of metal...it is frustrating i know!!

i do not decorate for halloween any more, just fall. steptember 1, all of fall comes out and it stays out until the christmas decorations come out!! i'm glad you got to see lillian!!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda! What a delicious meal you had with friends. Your friend's home is lovely. You kitties are soooo cute, and I love your Halloween decorations. Have a good Sunday and enjoy the week ahead.

Carole said...

Had to laugh when you implied that the kittens are better behaved than you know who! Glad the surgery went well. Cheers

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Linda, I was happy to see you had dropped by. Pumpkins??? Y'all have pumpkins already!!?? I've been watching here, so far, none have been delivered. I can't wait to buy a bunch Orange ones, green ones, white ones, last year I even found black ones, LOL. How is Summer doing after her surgery, hopefully great!! So glad you got to go visit with Lillian, I bet she was so glad to see y'all. And I'm sure all the goodies were welcomed. Linda I cant believe they delivered a SPECIAL ORDER of steel like that in the WRONG COLOR. Those little kitties of yours are two of the cutest I've ever seen! Hope you are having a great weekend my friend.

Eva said...

The cut paper art is called scherinshnitte. I used to do a little but never did anything that intricate. Lovely!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It was nice that you and Summer and Luann had such a great outing and that food did make me hungry, Linda. Also nice to read about Lillian's new roommate and that she was able to "visit" with both you and Summer, even if it's not the same as in-person visits. Glad the surgery went well and best wishes to Summer for a complete recovery. Samantha and Tabitha also look cute by your Halloween decos and, of course, they are helping you redecorate.

Deanna Rabe said...

I’m so glad to see Lillian doing so well! Your sister Luann seems like a great lady. You are blessed with you family!

Glad Summer’s surgery went well. That person being late was very unprofessional!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope Summer is feeling better today and she heals quickly. You both do so much and stay so busy. I love your sister's house. I think she and I have the same TV and piece of furniture that it is in. How neat! Enjoy your week. Give Summer my love!