Monday, August 31, 2020

Swamp Donkeys and September's Eve!

I went to church Sunday at Fellowship Church and sat with Amber and Mike and Trystan, Kailey, Harrison and Logan. I dearly LOVE being able to attend church again!
This was only my second in person service THIS YEAR!  Due to knee replacement surgery in January and Covid 19 after that......it is SO good to be back!
That being said, Louis Dean is still staying home.
He is more high risk than I since he is diabetic. Borderline but still. And he is a heart patient so he has 'underlying conditions.' Not taking any chances.


However, we did get to go out and watch Mike play hockey Sunday evening.
Not many people and everyone must wear a mask.
I like this Father/Daughter pose and I love how they love each other.


Here's a shot of Mike in action.
Their team is called the Swamp Donkeys!
Really??? YES!


And they WON!!! 4-3!!

This September's Eve - aka August 31st - we had to deal with Louis Dean's truck.


The electric button that pulls the driver's seat forward and back has been acting up.
When I drove the truck last week - I pulled it forward.
He could NOT get it to go back!
He drove all the way home from the ranch with his knees up to the steering wheel.
So....yesterday he went out to deal with it and ended up moving the seat still FURTHER up - to the point that neither one of us could sit in the driver's seat!
He went online to see about replacing the switch to no avail.
He was fit to be tied! And I didn't blame him one bit!

We have relatively new neighbors living across the street where my Cousin Joe used to live.
Summer asked them to help her get a joint loose when she replaced my kitchen sink faucet last month. I had left muffins on their porch when they moved in (someti me last year)and they said they never forgot that and were so kind in helping Summer surprise us with a faucet that I didn't have to wrap a towel around because it would leak all over the counter. She did this while we were down at the ranch.

Louis Dean had taken the entire seat out and done everything he knew to do and had decided to lean the seat BACK (this was not an electrical thing) and wedge pillows in so he could drive it down to Mart for Mechanic Ronnie to fix. I told him that's not a good idea. 
The new neighbors are mechanics. Father and son.
After our morning prayers and Bible reading, I told Louis Dean that God always sends 'helpers.'
Mr. Rogers said that and I remembered it.
Maybe the helper is Ronnie in Mart, Texas some two hours away.
Or maybe the helper is the guy across the street.

Turns out - he was the guy across the street.
He would not accept any pay.
He said, "We are neighbors!"
Louis Dean will be baking up a batch of cinnamon rolls for them in the next day or two.


I spent today working in the den!
I dressed her all up in golden autumn colors and lit the candles.


I had TV on to Alaska:The Last Frontier all day long.
Summer set us up for On Demand and I loved seeing some new episodes as well as lots of old ones.


I decorate differently every year for every season.
Just putting things in a new place makes them seem fresher!
As hard as I have worked - I only got HALF of the den done!
It IS the largest room!


Reality shot!!
Later. This will all look pretty but it will look pretty LATER!

I stopped decorating because I needed to move on to the kitchen.


It is my tradition to make the fruitcake cookie dough on September's Eve so it will be ready to bake on the First! I usually substitute spiced rum or whiskey for the 2 T of milk.


This year I used Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey.
I had no rum and the only whiskey in the cupboard was peach.
I have no doubt using this will taste every bit as good!
Maybe better!!!


It's getting hard to find a spot to add the date!


I have been baking these every year for a long long time.


In the bag and ready for tomorrow!


And there will be spiced pumpkin muffins!!!

I have Neil Diamond sitting by the CD player all ready to sing September Morn.
The coffee is made for in the morning - first one up turns it on.
My fall coffee cups are washed and hanging on the hooks above the sink.
The fall t-shirts are stacked on the bedroom chair.
They are birthday gifts from my sister, Nita, through the years.
I gasped when I looked at one - the first one and my favorite!
I have nearly worn it out!
I will no longer wash them nearly as often and will use the delicate cycle when I do.

September is almost here and I am so excited!!







18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Anne's blog tonight featured Neil Diamond singing this, and I immediately thought of you! I told her so. So glad the truck seat is fixed, and for free! Your den is so golden and beautiful!

Bluebird49 said...

Oh, yay for good neighbors! Such good news.
The den is looking so inviting, and soon the house will smell like pumpkin spice muffins and fruitcake cookies. Yummy. Everything sounds so good. I love that you write the dates in your cookbook.
Happy September Morn!

Susie said...

Linda, I just turned our coffee on. It's 7:27 and Ted won't be up for another hour. I thought of you as I realized it's Sept. 1st. Love the picture of LD and Amber. Wow, what nice neighbors. So glad they could help. That's like our neighbor Gary help to mow the year that Ted could not. We love that guy.I pray for our neighbors. Wish I could smell those cookies baking, at your house. Hear Neil singing. Blessings to you sweet friends, xoxo,love, Susie

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love all your fall decorations. That is so great that you have kind neighbors who help you out! Good to hear you could go back to church in person. We just found out that our church will being in person services again September 13. Looking forward to that. Have a good week!

Arlene G said...

Happy September 1st, Linda! I can almost smell those cookies here in NoAla. have a blessed and happy day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think we are all excited for a new month and new possibilities! Our weather hasn't changed yet but I feel optimistic! heehee! Love seeing your beautiful decor! I'm going to get some things out today to decorate. Happy 1st!!!

Estelle's said...

Happy September 1st Linda...it will indeed be a glorious day!!!

Deanna Rabe said...

I love how you welcome Autumn! Happy September 1st! I'll be thinking of you all day!

What a blessing good neighbors are!

MadSnapper said...

It seems that myself and everyone else and blog land for thinking of you last night that today was September one. We were all waiting to see if you were ready to celebrate even though we knew that you would be. So glad your neighbors could get the truck back where it was supposed to be what a blessing

Changes in the wind said...

Happy Sept 1st!! You are the only person I know who has such a celebration but it makes you and those around you happy.

Vee said...

September 1 is pretty exciting at your place! How is Neil sounding this year?

So glad that we're celebrating fixes...the truck seat and the faucet. Summer is a sweetheart and the neighbors are, too!

Happy decorating, dear Linda and happy baking, too! Some fine day, you'll be missing a cinnamon roll and wonder. (It will have been me as I finally figured out how to reach in a snatch one.) ☺️

photowannabe said...


HAPPY SEPTEMBER MORN...

Oh my, the image of LD with his knees up to the steering wheel really peeked my imagination. So glad it got fixed..it seems there is always something happening to make your life "exciting". Your home is looking so warm and cozy.
YOUR COOKIES SOUND DELICIOUS.
Have great day.
I can't seem to get my phone camera to take any photos..what am I going to do???
I see my son today..Hope he can come to my rescue.
Sue

Carole said...

Happy September 1. It's the start of spring here - although it is still pretty cold (for us). Stay safe Cheers

BeachGypsy said...

Linda, girlfriend, Its YOUR DAY! YOUR DAY is finally here! I've been thinking aboutcha on YOUR DAY! I love the way you welcome and celebrate YOUR DAY! Your fall decorations are looking so nice! Hugs, my friend, on YOUR DAY! lol

Lynne said...

Linda!
Popping in to wish you a best blessed “September Morn’”!

I haven’t been on blogger for about three years, so I wasn’t able to leave a comment. I logged in to my old account just so I could say hello! I still always think of you! Especially on the first of September!

Linda said...

Oh, my dear!!!! Thank you so much! Are you still on 34th Street?

Day2Day said...

Must say, I love your blog, its so heartwarming and the photos are so relaxing to see - reminds me of the good old days growing up...

Lynne said...

Yes, Linda, Still living on 34th Street but no longer blogging there. I am on Instagram . . . @frenchbreadandfamily . We have five grandchildren. I retired two years ago, ( August 31, 2018 ) Life has been busy taking care of my parents.

Will keep in touch here, using my old google account.

Best of love to you and your family!
😘