Monday, March 16, 2020

Redeeming the Time.....

I love being home so this 'stay in' situation is right up my alley.
I'm not sure what has got into me but I am really and truly hauling stuff OUT of my house at record speed - for me.

First was the guest room. 
Louis Dean keeps his t shirts and socks and such in the big dresser in there. Nothing was purged from those drawers but I have a small 'jacket/sweater' closet that was jammed packed and is now hung without being crowded. Then the bunk bed drawers were emptied and the little secretary was reorganized with the quads art supplies. And the linen closet - which is the lower part of my jacket closet - is now neat and tidy and half as full as it was.

Saturday I started on my bedroom closet - and finished that up Sunday and then I moved on to a cupboard and finally the jewelry drawer.


I made these back in the 90's when my fingers were still nimble.
I washed them by hand and haven't decided what to do with them yet.
I had them stuck on a fancy satin stocking. They have pin backs on each one.


I cleaned and sorted all afternoon.


Some things were my mother's and some pieces were gifts.


Many of these hold special memories for me.


I found things I forgot I had!


After I washed and dried all these - they were added to the drawer.


I gathered up all the hand sanitizers and filled one section full.
Then I sorted all my earrings which I keep in a special bag that hangs and has little compartments.


Louis Dean hung my mirrored closet door up after he finished up whatever he did to make the track stay down. And, yes, he used more Gorilla glue and, yes, I had another mess to clean up but it is all a done deal now! He's offered to glue a stone back in a broach but I declined. I'm afraid he would use Gorilla Glue and that does NOT dry clear!


It feels so good to have both bedrooms CLEAN!
My jewelry drawer has been a favorite with the quads and the girls come in and pick out earrings nearly every time they visit. I wonder if they will notice how neat and organized it is the next time they're here? I made some tea with Constant Comment, a family size regular tea bag and a bouquet of spearmint from the garden. I'm out of lemons but I had a peach!


Louis Dean loves cornbread so I made a batch to go with our beans and rice tonight for supper.
We are just about out of milk so I will be getting out tomorrow. I'm hoping to get milk and some fresh fruits and vegetables at Aldi. Also I am mailing a package and am trying to decide if I will use the self serve place or go in and hand it over to the postal worker. Yeah, I think I will go in. Less touching than using the automated machine.

It rained last night and we got a little water in the den in that one area.
The weather cleared up today and we opened the French doors to get the full benefit of the fresh air.
Have you noticed what a pretty color of green weeds are?
We haven't got around to pulling many of ours yet. These are around the back pond where we used to have ground cover until all the workers who topped off the elm last year stomped all the ground cover to death. They are growing up through a layer of cedar mulch so they will be easy to pull.
In the mean time.....unless you really look closely ......and if you use a little imagination ....it looks very pretty out there.


But the Mayflies are everywhere. Inside and outside!
These are delicate aquatic insects and harmless but annoying.
And there are so many of them!!
They have a very short life span - as in minutes sometime!
I find small piles of them dead every morning around the lamps.
It's because we keep our doors open so much.


Tomorrow marks the end of Summer's spinal cord stimulator test trial and it has significantly cut her pain down. She has an appointment to take the wires out but when she called to confirm - they told her they were waiting for a referral!!  It's been crazy dealing with the insurance company and all the rigmarole she has to go through for every single thing!! She's going to keep her appointment and see what happens.

Things are crazy all over the world with this Coronavirus and Puerto Rico is affected like everywhere else. I think West Virginia is the only state that has not had a single case reported!


Rayne and her friend are getting some extra play time.

I'll close tonight with a posting I saw on Facebook this morning.

*** Facebook***

My assisted living is on lockdown so he comes every day to see his dad and they talk through the phone, sweetest thing ever 💞 Consent was giving to post on social media.

Lillian's nursing home has locked its doors and no one is allowed in.
Nita visits Lillian every Sunday afternoon and takes her a chocolate malt.
Nita had to take it home and give it to Mike instead!

So, I'm supposing we are all staying calm and doing what we can to keep healthy and not spread anything. We are 'redeeming the time' together.....
What are y'all doing?


14 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Staying in is just about what I do best! Ed went up to Food Lion -- still no bread, hamburger, TP or milk. ( He got me a quart of buttermilk! I don't think "butter" was in large enough print.) I'll not complain one whet. He was doing his best, but I won't be drinking it. 😦
I've got plenty to do, but sitting down and playing the piano felt good today! 😍
Stay well!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never seen a Mayfly so close! You sure are making the most of your time home; what a lot you got done! I'm so glad Summer's stimulator worked!!!

Terra said...

I admire all the organizing you are doing. For five years I have visited a lady in a retirement home once a week, but it is in lock down now. That is SO CUTE the young man visiting his dad and they chat through the window. I am self isolating in my house. Be well dear friend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I was in a cleaning and organizing binge for awhile and donated a lot of stuff! Sure felt great! And it IS fun to look through your old jewelry and things you've forgotten you had! Love that last photo of the visiting! We are well and hiking! I'm going to start a sewing project today....maybe make a bunny! lol Hugs to you both! Stay healthy and happy!

MimiG said...

Tried to find some small alcohol squares yesterday (I use one on my skin before my daily shot) none to be had. Not sure why people would buy up a tiny square - but, I just bought a pack of gauze and cut it up, put them in a zip loc and poured a bit of alcohol in the bag. It works! No cotton balls either! Funny what folks decide needs hoarding. I think I hoarded wine - have 7 bottles and that's a lot for me. Will be going through the drive thru to pick up a prescription refill - called the insurance company and they said I could get the refill early, so that's a relief.Take care everyone - prayers being said for Summer and the rest of the world - be careful. Linda, I've read 3 books on line - I really recommend Sea of Memories by Fiona Valpy, got through Amazon - great read.

MadSnapper said...

congratulations on your organizing spree and on having two clean bedrooms. I think the quads will notice the earrings are organized. glad the mirror is done with no harm. ha ha… we are bored to death but don't mind being home. YMCA is close until further notice, TOPS meetings are canceled for a month, and we shall see then. we are doing what you are doing, filling the time with cleaning and yards and bob worked a couple hours in the garage, the trash cans are full. since we can't go to the Y we are using work to make up our excercises. stay safe

Arlene G said...

Yes we can redeem the time Linda. I love that you are just piddling around the house....me too!! I am sure we will all have everything cleaned and organized at the end of our social distancing.lol I loved the picture of the men talking on the phone. Great idea. I thing Gorilla Glue should make LD their ambassador.lol Love the gorilla glue stories. but then I do not have to clean it up!!

Vee said...

Love that photo of the man and his son. I have suggested to one sister-in-law that we do jumping jacks in front of the other’s nursing home window. That is the part that upsets me most about this whole thing...the not being able to visit. Quite frankly, I don’t trust many nursing homes.

I need to get cracking here, too, but have been told that some facilities are no longer receiving donations. I don’t want it taking up room in the trunk of my car.

So glad that Summer is doing well with this latest thing and praying that she can get in to have everything resolved and finalized.

Happy homemaking!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats on getting so much done ! Here, I've been reading, a lot! The time seems to fly and I have a good supply of books. They help me get my mind on better things. I haven't been out of the house since last Thursday. Almost a week and I still don't need to go out, but will by next week. I'll probably go to Aldi too.
I don't think I have much left to throw out, but do have jewelry that should be sorted out and cleaned.

BeachGypsy said...

Summer looks happier and more relaxed than I've seen ever seen her!!!she looks so pretty---hang in there summer!!

photowannabe said...

So good to see this beautiful picture of Summer. I'm glad the stimulator seems to give her relief. Praying the insurance saga will be finished and she can move ahead with surgery.
You have been quite the busy bee there Linda. I have a couple of projects like that to attempt. This staying hunkered down at home is the best but it's driving Dave (especially) nuts. Its been raining so we can't work in the garden...and the income taxes loom over our heads...that's not a fun project. I probably can't ignore it much longer.
Stay safe and healthy. Enjoy your beautifully organized drawers. You are my inspiration !!
Sue

Carole said...

My sister is encouraging me to learn Messenger to keep in better touch with my wider family. You probably already know how it works - maybe you could keep in touch with Lillian wth it?? Kia kaha

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Good for you getting all that organizing done. I'm sure it's a great feeling to see the finished results. I need to be doing the same, but keep procrastinating.
How was shopping at Aldi? People are so crazy around here and hoarding, hoarding, hoarding out of panic. Giant is nearby, so I've been going there, and they do a pretty good job of restocking, but no wipes or hand sanitizer--not even by the front door for people to wipe their cart on entering, or their hands on leaving the store.
I'll be so glad when this craziness is over.
That share from FB of the son chatting with his dad on the phone is really sweet.

techmanoj said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.