Saturday, July 27, 2019

Water Leak, Burlap, Denim, Garden, Canning and Riding the Tractor! Our Friday and Saturday!

Louis Dean likes to say, "Wake up! Get organized. Talk to wife. Get re-organized."
Or in Friday's case, look around and see a leak that became visible once Sherry did some mowing up here for us. All his other plans went out the window and he settled down to fix that leak.


This area is behind the camper and the bathroom at the end section of the front room.
The pipe broke due to faulty workmanship and that was due to working in a hostile environment due to those mean vicious bees last spring. It took him the entire afternoon to  get it all done and put back together. The water was turned back on after the sun went down.


I spent the day doing some odd and end things.
At the feed store we noticed in the beekeeping section, some folded burlap strips packaged up as bee smoker material. I have burlap. As in an old feed sack. I bought several of them at Leon's Junction for the kids to do sack races when they came down. We never did that so I used them as a tree skirt on my country tree in the front room. I has another one just laying around.
That one's now packaged up and ready to use in Sherry's bee smoker


Look who's been hanging around with us!
I asked Sherry if I could name her July. She looks so much like Amber's cat she got on the 4th of July in 1992. Can you spy Sherry and Louis Dean in this pic?


She's a pretty little thing.
What's not to love about a cute kitten??


She is not the least bit intimidated by Rufus.


Sweet critters.


I had traced all the squares on the jeans and Friday I cut them all up!
That job's done. Every time we come down here, I bring some denim to whack.

Louis Dean spent some time watering the garden.


I picked okra and some tomatoes.
That okra grows so fast!


Just a man watering a garden.
Funny how satisfying doing these simple things are to our soul.

This morning (Saturday) was canning day!


Sherry picked one more round of okra and we settled down to pickle them.
She had everything set up in her kitchen and it was a lot of fun to work together and get it done!
She just sent me a text - all 8 of the jars sealed!
There  will be more canning in our future.
Back in the early 90's I canned just about anything I could find at Farmer's Market.
Jams and jellies, vegetables, stewed tomatoes, spiced peaches, even candied apple rings.
Vegetable soup was one of my favorites and pickles.
I would host canning parties and a few friends and I would meet at 4:00 in the morning and head over to downtown Dallas. One time I took us to a coffee shop I had read about in the paper. Except I took us to the wrong one. It.was.awful. Cockroaches crawling on the wall. Drunks slumped over tables.
The service was not good and the waiter said his help didn't show up that morning. My friend - Brenda Freeland was her name and she had taken a vacation day to do this adventure with me - said, "Of course, she didn't!Who would??" I don't know why we didn't leave but we stuck it out and then laughed and laughed about for years!

Dean had a couple of his karate students here for a class down in the meadow while Sherry and I were canning. They all went to town for lunch at B.Walker's Kitchen in Mart. They brought us back some burgers and fries.


Sherry took me back up the camper cabin on her tractor!!


That was so much fun!!


While we were visiting over lunch, she noticed one of our bees was on the red door.
I'm not a good photographer so I was pretty proud of myself for getting a decent pic of her.

I don't have pictures to prove it, but Sherry brought her zero radius mower up and mowed our 'front yard.' Then she let ME drive it!!!

Life is pretty exciting down here!!!!

14 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

One fun adventure after another! You did get a good picture of the bee; the red background is pretty.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Now I see a BEE painting in your future. Love reading and seeing your photo's Linda.
Hugs.
Joy

Vee said...

Always something new! That photo of you being delivered home is a riot! Better than walking. What a chore to fix the broken pipe. Louis Dean is a champion among DIYers for sure.

Bluebird49 said...

Oh, look! Cutie-kitty alert!
"July" is a great cat name, (A great month name, as well!), and it looks like neither Rufus nor July is threatened by the other! In fact, I think July might be contemplating patting Rufus on the head, while Rufus looks blissfully ignorant!
My cat-boyfriend, Kotta, came over today, but only stayed long enough for tuna. :( He wouldn't stay and snuggle with me, so there just may not be tuna around if he keeps that up. A little give and take is a nice thing, but of course with cats it's all take! :p
Enjoy your Sunday!

Susie said...

Linda, Always an adventure there for you and LD. Even if it wasn't planned. I remember the bees bothering LD while he worked. Looks like a good sized garden there at the ranch. I love the cat and dog pictures. My daughter has a dog(Sam) and he thinks the cat(Ozzy) is his very own cat. Some times we see them walk down the road together, it's so funny. Blessings for a beautiful day. xoxo,love you, Susie

MadSnapper said...

I agree you country life is EXCITING! I can see it and hear it and even feel it. big beautiful buzzy bee on your door. great shot. felt and awwww moment in my heart seeing July with Rufus.. so sweet. LD looks happy working away.favorite pic today is YOU waving to us under that beautiful sky

Changes in the wind said...

It seems the best thing about being in the country is not knowing what the day will bring:) Love the pictures of the kitten and dog and wow that is a big garden you have there. Driving the tractor is living on the wild side:)

Carol said...

You have so much fun while at the ranch and you certainly do find plenty to do! I love the picture of you on the tractor and I need an apron like that to collect eggs in.

Chatty Crone said...

I love to look at other's bees - they scare me a bit. Man you married someone who sees something broke and goes fix it - not afraid to work. I spied both of you in the photo but I would not had you not told me.

Sandie♥

jujupage1 said...

That kitten looks really cute! I too love anything pickled. I was practically addicted to pickled onions when I was younger! 😂

photowannabe said...

Oh Linda, your life is so GOOD !!!
I love how every day is an adventure...sorry about the leak but now the thing is done right and shouldn't be a problem again. LD sure can do anything!
Your pantry must be delightful with all the goodies you put up>
Terrific photo of that bee...your "Trademark" for sure.
Love your story about the coffee shop...those are the memories that keep one laughing for years.
Happy Sunday.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Just backtracked to catch up on your ranch experiences, Linda, and what fun you have had in between the various projects. The kitten is so cute and I wondered if July might return home with you as the photo of the kitten and Louis Dean was wonderful. Thanks too for sharing the inspirational speech by Matthew McConaughey, who is obviously has some very good values in life.

Carole said...

July looks just like our Molly would have done as a kitten - same colouring stripes and everything. Molly has adopted us but is officially next door's cat - but they also have a dog and they don't get on - so we have sort of inherited her. Cheers

Debbie said...

boy that ld is such a handy man!! you look so cute in your apron, i never learned how to can but i wish i did.

i had to google orca, i had no idea what that was!!