Monday, July 15, 2019

Housekeeping and Homemaking Monday

I love a good Monday! Especially one when I don't have to leave the house!
Today was such a Monday.
I am also loving this time in my life when I do not have a strict schedule to follow or a lot of things to do. I can stay up late and sleep until noon if I want to.
While I wasn't up that late last night - I was still in bed at noon when Summer called me today.
She had already been up 5 hours and had a whole list of things she'd done and errands she's run.
I told her that was okay. I used to do that. Sometimes I still do. 
But not today. Today was not only Monday - it was MY day!


Louis Dean brought me coffee in bed and when I finally got up -  I made breakfast for lunch.
A healthy cereal and fruit.
Louis Dean did a lot of work yesterday while I was at the pool so he was not up much today.
He went back to bed around 2:00 and slept until after 6:00.
He was pretty tired.
He got nervous in the night when his arms and hands were hurting.
But he had reason to be. He had used a hack saw to cut metal and done a lot of detailed work - and the vibration took its toll.

While he slept, I was happy as a lark just fluffing up my 'clean' rooms and lighting candles in each before venturing on into a 'dirty' room to work my magic there.


The living room, foyer and porch were my rooms of this day.
I wanted a new centerpiece for the living room coffee table and decided on candles in big glass vases.
I used potpourri to line the glass around the candle jar.


I like it!
The living room wasn't hard to clean - mostly a matter of moving the stuff that had piled in there while I was working in other rooms.


I like the warm glow of these rooms. 
The curio cabinet here was emptied of my angel collection. That's all packed and stored away and I replaced it all with teacups, saucers, pots and books on tea.
I don't know why I didn't take more pictures today.


This is as you come in the front door.
I think it is one of life's biggest blessings to have a home you love.
While I do love mine, I know it's not every one's cup of tea.
It's high maintenance and lots of work.
But then again, Louis Dean and I was rather high maintenance ourselves.

My last accomplishment of this day was to clean up the front porch.
We have a lot of fairy lights strung up out there and tonight I took down some of the green garland debris and vow never to put any up again. Maybe around the door but that's all.
I didn't take it all down - yet. But it WILL all come down.
I can't wait to redo the porch ceiling.
Guess what I am going to put up instead of the greenery?
A set of old rusted bed springs.
As in mattress six.
I'm keeping all the grapevines I already have hanging up out there and will be adding more. 
Then the strands of fresh new lights will go up.
The porch itself needs some repair - as in the floor.
I can't do that but I CAN draw attention UP to the lights and 'debris!'

I will close tonight's journal entry with this thought......

Make the most of what you've got.....
and the least of what you've not!

And that's just exactly what I do!!
Works for me!

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you sure do have the most clever decorating ideas! I want to see the porch roof when you are finished! I just love a day when I don't HAVE to do anything. Your tree and angel motif looks so pretty.

BeachGypsy said...

Your home looks warm, safe, cozy, and "glowy". You like lots of knick-knacks, pictures, "debris" etc, as do it. It's alot to dust for sure. And I dont even like dusting!!--ha ha LOL but I do like my collections and mementoes and pictures all around me. I used to have alot more up than I do now, I have cut back and you CANT EVEN TELL, ha ha LOL! I like the previous post I think it was too....y'all enjoying the pool. PS!!--the candles are so pretty!

Susie said...

LInda, I always think your home looks inviting. I like the warm glow of your twinkle lights and candles. I am going to be shredding receipts and papers today and that will be a load out the door. LOL. Trying to stay in clean up mode here. LOL...that doesn't last long enough. Blessings to you and LD. Enjoy today. xoxo,love you, Susie

MadSnapper said...

you know I love all that glass and glowing candles. and the quote is perfect and I try to do tht in my life with the word TRY the clue.... your breakfast looks good to me as lunch or breakfast or even dinner

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I need to get back in the cleaning mood but I don't think I have it today! heehee! I DO love the days when I don't have to go anywhere and can take my time around the house. Love all of your fairy lights and candles...your world sparkles more than most! (you can quote me on that! heehee) Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love that quote about making the most of what you've got/ It's a good philosophy to live by. No since crying about what we haven't got. Your home always looks warm and welcoming. Sunflowers are always a cheerful touch.

Deanna Rabe said...

Your home may be 'high maintenance' but it brings you joy so its worth it! I like your centerpiece! Glowing candles, soft ambient lighting all make for a cozy home!

Your front porch plans sound great! It'll look so neat with the springs and grapevine and lights!

Happy Tuesday!

Changes in the wind said...

Such truth, to just be happy were you are. It could surely make a difference in many people's lives if they could just begin to do that.

Arlene G said...


thanks for all the comments on my travel pictures Linda...we are truly having a blast.

Debbie said...

oh i love your days, they are so much like mine...no rules, no schedule!! everything is looking mighty beautiful, loving those candles!!

i love my life and i love yours too!!!

photowannabe said...

You absolutely make the most of what you have...every day...I love your positive attitude.
I can't wait to see your paintings of old barns...they will go perfectly with the cow canvases .

Chatty Crone said...

Make the most of what you've got.....
and the least of what you've not!
I LOVE THAT!

Your breakfast looked really good.

And I agree with you - I love the warm glow - not sure exactly how you get it to look like that.

Love, sandie

dkzody said...

I liked your comment about loving your home. Mine is probably the absolute opposite of yours, very minimalist, but that's what makes me happy. We each should have a home that makes us happy.

Kathy said...

Your house is always so pretty and I love that you light candles in the rooms. With my little kitty I am afraid of lighting candles. But I have my little electric ones around. No wonder LD was in pain with all the work he has done. Hope he takes a couple of days off to relax, especially in this heat.

Carole said...

You are a homemaker extraordinaire! Have a lovely night/day. cheers

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Everyone should decorate the way that makes them happy and you certainly DO know how to do that, Linda. Every person's taste is different and what matters is what makes you feel good in your home. I like the warm feeling from looking at your photos. And also like that you take time for yourself.