Saturday, June 8, 2019

We are at the Ranch!!

We meant to go down to the ranch Friday after Louis Dean's routine follow-up primary care doctor visit. He had a 9:15 appointment and did not get home until nearly noon. He said he sat in a cold quiet room for a long time but he was not complaining. We are now DONE with medical appointments until December! However, all that sitting tired him out (? Go figure!) plus he had not slept well the night before. SO we decided to stay home another day and 'rest' before going down to the ranch. He did, indeed, go back to bed for a couple of hours.


However, we spent the evening out in the front yard sprucing things up.
I asked him to bring out the hedgers and weed eater and I proceeded to cut back and trim down some seriously overgrown ground cover. That Asian Jasmine is a wonderful plant but I have a hard time keeping her under control. I need more discipline! I cut back a 'whole bunch' of both the Jasmine and the honeysuckle along the front bed. I had a photo but I accidentally deleted it and can't find the energy to go dumpster diving in my trash for it!


He blew all the debris I cut into the yard and then proceeded to mow it.
Win! WIN!!
Our yard guy comes twice a month.
Wonder if he will notice it's been mowed recently?
I would hire him to deal with the flower beds but he seems to only know how to edge, mow, and blow.

Thankfully, Louis Dean slept well Friday night and we packed up and were on the road before noon today. Our one ton truck was packed tighter than a drum!
He said, "It's doing more than its share in hauling all this stuff!"


This was the back seat.....


and this was from the back of the truck!
We still had to stop at Sam's for a few things and all that went on TOP of all this!


Our favorite place to eat before heading to the ranch is a not fancy at all but so very good restaurant!


El Conquistador in Bellmead.


A good margarita for me and a dark beer for him!
Plus we had food! I always order the Taco Salad and he always orders beef fajitas.


Our party was not over but just beginning!!!

I love seeing the crops on our way to the ranch and how they have grown since our visit in May.


One of my favorite moments is when we go through the gate!


Let the adventure begin!
We have our routine down pat.
He unloads. I put up.
I clean out the refrigerators - we have three. One full size ( gifted to us by Sherry) and two 'beverage' of college fridges. The one inside the camper holds midnight snack foods for Louis Dean. The one in the front room holds beverages - water, flavored water, wine and beer.
The big one holds everything else.
Plus we have a small freezer and I brought enough food for the entire 10 days!


I had a surprise welcome home gift from Grandson Robert.
He and his dad and brother had been down to visit a week or two ago and Robert knows I love a bottle of wine. They brought and planted a tree for Sherry. I haven't seen it yet but will go down and look at it tomorrow. Robert has been tending it all fall, winter and spring in anticipation of presenting and planting it for Sherry.


Louis Dean and I sat out on the deck for our very favorite time of the day.
From 8:00 until the sun goes down is so special.
The light changes from minute to minute and the fragrance is a mixture of wild flowers and the sun warmed grass plus that magical mix of  all things 'Country' that seems to float on the air for about half an hour and then it's gone.

Campfires are traditional here.
Louis Dean knows how much I love them and he made sure we had one on this our first night.
He had loaded up some of the wood from our old elm tree and was determined to get some cut for tonight's fire.


I was in the camper loading up my pics on the computer for tonight's journal entry when he came in and said that he needed a witness if he was successful in John Wayne style chopping that piece of elm wood.


He did it!!!


And let me tell you - he was so proud of himself!!!


We sat by the fire until long after dark.

We are happy to be here. It's like our favorite place in all the world.
Dean and Sherry came down to visit and we were talking about why we all love it so much.
The ranch stays the same but it changes. From month to month and year to year.
The Black Eyed Susan's are everywhere now. They are one of my favorite wildflowers.
My goal is to be down here for a part of each and every month. 
Last year I missed February and September.
The year before just February.
So far I am on target!

As senior citizens, this ranch is a retreat that is every bit a blessing and gift!
Dean and Sherry has given us a treasure in inviting us to keep our camper down here.
We have no responsibilities. Only blessings.
We do try to pay our own way with utilities and such but that's a drop in the bucket to what we would pay for an RV park. And to have this retreat is an answer to prayer. God has truly given me the desires of my heart. 

Louis Dean is already sound asleep. 
Doesn't everyone sleep better in the country?
It's not even midnight but I guess we are already on Country Time!!





18 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Enjoy yourself my friend!

MadSnapper said...

still giggling over the video of LD/John Wayne chopping wood. Success indeed. i am glad the road was no full of mud or that loaded truck would be STUCK even as i type this comment. i would love to sleep in the country, cool country, not hot. we just had the hottest May in over 100 years in Florida..

Susie said...

Linda, Tell LD great job. Splitting wood isn't for sissies. LOL Hope you have a great visit at the ranch. Wow that truck was loaded down. Where do you put it all. :) Blessings, stay well, xoxo,love Susie

Estelle's said...

I enjoy your visits to the ranch almost as much as y'all do. Thanks for bringing us along and allowing us to enjoy the experience. Have a ball!!!

Vee said...

Chopping elm is a huge challenge! I am so glad that he prevailed with a sledge hammer and an ax. Lesser men would’ve quit! Even your voice~tone changes when you are at the ranch. How good it is to have a place to relax and enjoy life.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's wonderful to be able to relax and the peace and quiet is a tonic! Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs to you both!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Enjoy that country time...a much slower way of living for sure. It looks like things have dried out quite bit. Have a blessed Sunday!

Arlene G said...

So glad yall are enjoying your happy place Linda. We head to Grimmwood next Sunday. I know what you mean about sitting outside. My sisters and my brother in law usually come and porch sit with us after supper. It is like the old days!!

Changes in the wind said...

Blessed, there is nothing better:)

Debby said...

I'm so glad you have this little slice of Heaven. You two deserve it.

Rain said...

Your Louis Dean is a wonderful fella! :) I'm so happy for the both of you. And YES, since I moved up north, I sleep so much better. The last time I lived in the city was 1999 (though I moved to the city 6 months to live with Alex when we first met)...never slept well at all. Country is where it's at!!! So glad you're back at the ranch! Enjoy!!! xx

photowannabe said...

I hear such peace and joy from every word you have printed.
What a little piece of heaven for you and LD.
I would love to sit by your fire pit and watch night fall too.
Enjoy every minute.

photowannabe said...

Forgot to mention...
Wow...LD is certainly the MAN !!
That wood chopping is a hard job..he's strong and determined.
Way to go Louis Dean...(:0)

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hooray, and you get to stay a good long time as well. The picture of Louis Dean in the restaurant is sure a Clark Gable kind of picture! Looks like you had beautiful blue skies for the trip. So glad all the doctor appointments went well! I love your background, country 4th of July.

Sue said...

I love to see your posts of yours and Louis Deans happy place. Enjoy your time! He did a great job splitting that log too!
Blessings,
Sue

Carole said...

What a joy the ranch is - and you help our Dean and Sherry as well - win win. Cheers

terre said...

guess what? i am heading your way starting next saturday - roadtrip with the hubby and grandson. i will be staying in cleburne for the most part but have lots of day trips planned. please PM how to contact you.

terre

Chatty Crone said...

Okay you got back to the farm - so tell me - when you bring all those items in the truck - do you leave them there or are they to use and you bring them back? You took a nap then went to work! lol You two are awesome.