Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Stormy Day in Galveston!

We woke up a second morning to stormy weather complete with thunder and lightning!
Louis Dean went up to the office and brought back a light breakfast and some coffee.
We spent a leisurely morning in the room reading and watching movies.
The rain let up around noon so we went out for lunch.


There are such pretty houses here!
We may drive around and take some pictures of them before we leave.
Renting a house here would be so cool and I saw some that were just adorable.


Our lunch choice was The Sunflower Bakery and Cafe.
I sent this photo to Amber and she showed it to Trystan and they both agreed Granddad looks so happy because of all the food on his plate!
Trystan said, "Yeah, he eats a lot."


There were lots of sunflowers everywhere!


This painting was in the ladies room and I think it is so pretty!
I am planning on making a big bouquet of sunflowers, taking photos and painting my very own!
Wish I had taken more pictures of the ones Dean and Sherry gave me a few weeks ago.


We paid our bill but the storm was really raging so we lingered in the gift shop.


It was really pouring!

Louis Dean started reading the clever cards in the shop......


He read this one out loud to me......


and we laughed so hard!
Our little waitress came in and said, "Y'all still here??"
He read the card to her and she started laughing!!
Then she read one to us and we went back and forth for a little while.
Having fun!!!


It didn't look like the rain was ever going to stop and, sure enough, it rained all day!
I had on sandals so I didn't mind walking in the rain - or water - as there were really deep puddles on both sides of the car that we would have to wade in - so Louis Dean took his socks and shoes off!
He was wearing his moccasins and did NOT want to get them wet!

What to do on a rainy day in Galveston??
Since there was still thunder and lightning - we couldn't even walk on the beach in the rain.
So we went to a couple of thrift stores.
There's a Goodwill and a Salvation Army but I found two other thrift stores we had never been to before. One is called RCC on Broadway and then further down the For a Cause Resale shop.
This last one is the newest thrift store in Galveston!



 "We want to create a better world with kindness to animals through dedication for the protection in their natural communities. We, as a charity will, by all lawful means, prevent cruelty, promote kindness to and alleviate suffering of all animals and helping to place them in loving, responsible, forever homes. We stress the importance of spay and neuter as a means of controlling the number of unwanted animals and connect with other groups and people that assist and adopt.  We never discriminate on the basis of health, age or breed. 

Our stores sell unique items not typically found at other stores.  Come join us for a "treasure hunt" shopping experience ... you never know what you are going to find day-to-day! We hand select each item that goes onto our selling floor to make sure it is suitable for reuse and meets out quality and cleanliness standards.  When you shop our store, you'll love the quality, assortment and prices!!!"




We found a few treasures!!!


I'm a sucker for chickens! The dinner plates were $0.75 each, salad plates $0.25 .....


....and the bowls $0.50.
$6 for a service for four!


I couldn't find a price on this cute little Santa.
The lady said, "You can take him home for fifty cents!"
I promised to take good care of him!
He's actually two boxes and the top portion fits into the bottom for storage.


Cute little bird! $2!


I did not need this glass bread plate with the Lord's Supper but kept coming back to it.
It's so beautiful! The photo color doesn't do it credit.....it's really a pale pink and very heavy.
$1! I simply couldn't leave it there.
When we were checking out the lady said she was so glad to see it go home with us.
She had been waiting to see who would take it.


I nearly missed this super cute skirt!
It's a size 8 and I don't usually fit into an 8 any more.....but I bought it anyway!
Surprise! It fits! Still, I have been flirting with the idea of a fun kind of garment where you take a denim or flannel shirt and sew other kinds of fabric to it and turning it into a dress. $3


This rolling vinyl bag will be perfect for the beach tomorrow!
Louis Dean says we are going even if it's raining!!


This was just $2 and I thought it would be the perfect thing to take home to remember our 14th anniversary in Galveston!


17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you got a lot of nice things!! We have an ASPCA Rummage shop here, and I shop there when I can. I think the Sunflower Bakery was put there just with YOU in mind! The rolling bag is really beautiful, and looks like new!

Chatty Crone said...

You did get a lot of nice things. I liked the Last Supper. So he went barefoot in the rain - cool. I think you both are so cute!

Carole said...

So glad you had such fun when it was raining. Cheers

Jutta said...

I am happy that you are in Galveston! We two have such a many good memories of that town together!

Kathy said...

You made the most of the day despite the rain. And got beautiful treasures in the bargain.

BeachGypsy said...

I am loving reading all about your Galveston trip and seeing all the pictures. Linda....you couldn't have FOUND A BETTER SOUVINEER of your anniversary this year!!!--than that picture. That is perfect, I hope you hang that up somewhere in your home beside a framed picture of y'all on the beach okay??, even if you are under umbrellas!!! We go to the beach often even in the rain, we always have. I love the ocean under rainy skies just as much as sunny days. And we often have the beaches to ourselves on rainy days when everyone else runs inside, or on winter days when the tourists have come and gone...it's a whole other peaceful and quiet beach experience. Y'all have fun okay and travel safe!! happy anniversary

BeachGypsy said...

PS... I loved driving around the historical section of Galveston and I have so many pictures of the big pretty old houses. There were quite a few painted ladies too in such bright and whimsical colors, with big porches. I loved seeing them. We raised our kids in a big old painted lady and have wonderful memories of it, especially the wrap around porch and our old creaky floors and our porch swing. Did y'all go on the ferry yet....I remember enjoying that when we visited.

Vee said...

That card made me laugh, too. I hope to see you folks sitting on a sunny beach next time we meet up, but why do I keep seeing pictures of a soggy one in my mind? Oh dear. Well, you two know how to make the best of any kind of weather, which as you know, is better than no weather at all.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Too bad about all the rain, but you and Louis Dean sure made the best of a bad weather day. And that last thrift store find was a oerfect way to remember your special celenration...Happy Anniversary to you both!

MadSnapper said...

hope the rain lets up today and you get to walk on the beach. i for one do not like going out in the rain, even with an umbrella, so no walks in the rain for me... hope the thunder goes away and you can walk in the rain if you want to... being shut inside with bob during a rainy day would make me crazy. he would huff and puff and sound like he was blowing the house down if i took him in a store of any kind. you are the only person i know that finds treasures everywhere you go.. i love that house and hope you get a few more to show us. i would be happy wandering and looking at all the homes.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Anniversaries are such wonderful times even if it's raining. Remembering the past and creating new memories. How nice you could find some wonderful places to get out of the rain and have a few laughs too. I especially love those chicken dishes. I have a few of my own and treasure them. Sunflowers are another favorite of mine too and have painted many of them. They do make us happy even when it's raining. Hot and humid here with a chance of storms for the next few days. We have to make our own sunshine!

Tina said...

Oh my goodness that card is hilarious!! I'm going to share it with my husband because I think he'll get a good laugh out of it too! It has been storming here in Illinois every day! We are plenty tired of the rain but you two made the best of it! That's exactly what we would do in that situation too, go thrifting! I love to see the treasures that you find, you always find such great stuff! And if it benefits a good cause all the better! Hope you get a little bit of nice weather on your getaway! Have a great Wednesday either way!

The Feminine Energy said...

Good times can be had.... even in the rain. :-) As long as there are thrift stores, I would be content too. Continue having a wonderful time, you two lovebirds! Love, Andrea xoxo

Bluebird49 said...

You found some great treasures, but you have a hubby who will thrift shop with you! He's the real treasure!!��

photowannabe said...

You do certainly find the treasures.
I love, love, love those dishes..what a find!!
I'm glad you are finding things to do , even in the storm.
A great way to celebrate...Enjoy!!!

Rain said...

Hi Linda :) That photo of the house is so lovely, they sure are grand! Is that Louis Dean peppering up his eggs in that photo? I recognize the hand movement of the pepper mill lol! Oh thrift stores are the best! Nice finds!!

Jill said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! You guys are such a cute couple! :-) Love going to thrift stores! Also I bet the homes in the area are just amazing! Would love to see some pictures of them if you have time :-) Enjoy the week ahead.

Blessings,
Jill