Monday, June 3, 2019

Lunch With Melba, Puzzle, Reading as it Rains, Denim Quilting and a Glass of Wine! My Monday....

My long time friend, Melba, came for lunch and a visit today.
She and I have been friends for over 25 years. She home schooled her granddaughter when I was teaching Amber and Benjamin. Melba is an amazingly strong woman. She has been through so much in her life not the least of which was breast cancer. Melba is a survivor and a dear friend.
She lives as a widow now in Oklahoma City but was in town for some graduations and we were able to spend the afternoon together.


Ladies love salads! And I love this salad bowl!


I put everything I could find in this and topped it off with a hand full of fresh herbs from my garden.


Louis Dean joined us in the dining room and there we sat long after we had finished our food.....


sipping glass after glass of tea and telling our stories!


Our dessert was extra special!
Lemon cupcakes with raspberry frosting made by me sweet neighbor. Olga, who has a cottage kitchen bakery business in addition to her other career. 

We retired to the den to work on a huge sunflower puzzle.....


I love having a puzzle out where we can sit together and work a few pieces as we talk.
I am totally overwhelmed by this one and truly appreciated Melba getting me back to it.

Rolling thunder and dark clouds moved in just as she was leaving......


so I took my book and tea out to the porch and enjoyed a brief rain and some reading.


I'm cutting it close on getting some denim quilts made in time to give as gifts.
This one is a late wedding gift and next up will be one for the bride's soon to be born baby.
That's running late, don't you think?
I'm making this one a full size and that's a lot of heavy denim to work through the machine!
I'm not a seamstress but a crafter and a whacker!


I am about to have a glass of wine with Louis Dean and call this day done.
The glass is a gift from my gardening neighbor, Tamara.
This makes the wine even more special.

Day is over, night has come.
Today is gone, what's done is done.
Embrace your dream, through the night.
Tomorrow comes with a whole new light.
                                     ~Unknown~

14 comments:

Arlene G said...

What a lovely day Linda. I love Maeve Binchy books...they always have a happy ending Sometimes you just need that.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am glad to see that you took it easy today. Looks like a lovely visit, and you made it special with yummy food and beauty. The cupcake is almost too pretty to eat! Your quilt is so pretty, and I bet it is so warm.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

A good day, good friend, good visit.
Hugs.
Joy

Bluebird49 said...

Sounds like a perfect day, Linda! What a beautiful salad.

Chatty Crone said...

Very, very, very nice to have a day like that to enjoy your friend and hubs.

Vee said...

How wonderful that your long-time friend was in town. You always put on such a spread and treat your guests to a real experience. Reading outside during a brief rain sounds very pleasant. The bugs would eat me alive if I tried that. ☺️

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They quilt is beautiful! You work a lot into each day so I hope you've had a restful night! Love seeing that painting of the owl! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That salad looks wonderful. I do love them in the summertime. And it's especially nice you could share it with an old friend. Relaxing with a good book looks very nice too. I do it often... and I bought some freeh herbs yesterday and have planted them in a pot to use too. They do make such a difference. I've tried to winter them over and have brought them inside, but they never seem to grow for me, so every year I wind up buying more. Thankfully I'l have them from now until probably November.

Changes in the wind said...

Reading in the rain....awwww that would be heaven. Am sure the denim quilt is very much appreciated.

Rain said...

Hi Linda :) Oh that salad bowl is so whimsical, I love it! And that meal looks so inviting, lovely! I'd love to have a puzzle out but the cats would make quick work of it lol! The quilt is looking really good!

MadSnapper said...

love the poem message and your food always looks so wonderful. I would love to have a porch to read on, a screen porch for Florida...

Carole said...

Lovely pome! Hope tomorrow is equally good. cheers

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a lovely visit! That’s the best kind!

Glad you got your emotional tank filled through friendship, good food, and time to read and enjoy the rain!

Sue said...

What a perfect ending to a perfect day, Linda, I too enjoy putting puzzles together!
Have a blessed evening.
Sue,
Hint! I am a tar heels fan, can you guess where I live? ~wink~
Blessings,
Sue