Saturday, April 6, 2019

Critter Duty and Country Life!

Friday was our first full day of Critter Chores and we were doing great!
All the animals seemed to know just what they were supposed to be doing and went right with the program. First I feed the ducks in their pen - going back to let them out when we get the other chores done. Next is chicken duty - feed and make sure they all have water.
There are several little banty roosters on the place but only two of them are mean.
I confused what pen Emu was in so I was pretty confident when I reached in, took down this feeder, filled it and reached in to replace it. All went well. Then I noticed it was at an angle so I reached in once again to straighten it.


That's when I discovered THIS was Emu!
He got me and drew blood.
I won't be making that mistake again!

We do the goats next. I take care of the mother and baby while Louis Dean takes MeMe and Thumper out to the grassy areas. He talks to them as he does this and it's not sweet talk, either!


These are my favorite two critters right now.


This is a video from Thursday morning.
The dogs are doing so good!
Except for yesterday afternoon they went over in Mr. Jackson's pasture!
I called them and they came back - all covered in cow poop!!! GREEN cow poop.
I ran as well as I can run back inside the camper cabin so they wouldn't jump up on me!
They headed back down to the goats and we were relieved.


Our morning gathering of eggs.


The one thing we forgot to load in the truck was our Bible Basket.
It has our Bible, devotional book, my prayer journal and Country Diary plus my Prayer Bear, the Christmas cards and Sympathy cards we pray over and our out loud reading book.
What to do??
We have two Bibles here but the print is so small I can barely read it with even double glasses on.
So - I looked online for Proverbs and we are listening to a chapter each day.
For devotional, I pull up Joyce Meyer and we listen to one of her programs.
I'm writing my diary on a small tablet of paper and will staple it to the pages of my real Country Diary when we get home. This will do but I miss my Bible Basket.


Friday afternoon I went to town. Mart.
This is the view from the gate.


More of Mr. Jackson's animals across the road.

I had some traffic going to town this time. Another truck was behind me on the County line road and stayed there until we got to Mart. I saw another truck on my way home. You don't see many cars out there on those rough roads. Nearly everyone drives a truck!


I turn left in front of this cute little place that has Pygmy goats and lots of chickens.

I shopped three places - Virginia's, the Dollar Store and Read's Grocery.


I love the Dollar Store!
They always have something cute and always the basic things I'm looking for.


This candle smells just exactly like Amber's house!
I bought two!


I could not resist these.


Interesting but I didn't buy any!

Louis Dean went fishing while I was gone.
Bless his heart! He got two nibbles but no fish.
Now don't let him know I'm telling you this but even the quads catch something when they fish here!
Poor guy. He keeps trying and I told him the best part of fishing was just being out there!
Don't think he bought it.....

After I put up the groceries it was time for Critter Chores.


I like this photo of the peacock from behind.
Can you see the horse?
That's what he was spreading his feathers and getting irritating about.




Not a good video but the baby goat is super cute.



Look! Just LOOK at all that salad!!


Chores done and we sat by the campfire with our evening glass of wine.
All was right in our world.

We woke up this morning to a green wet landscape.


All the rain makes for green grass and wildflowers.


I love wet spongy grass as opposed to muddy ground.


We got out and did the morning chores before the heavy rain hit.
No pictures because it was ugly muddy work but we did it!
It's real exercise to walk in muddy rain boots. They get heavier as you go.
We fed the goats extra and left them and the pups in the pen today.
It started in on the heavier rain as soon as we got back up here and we sat with our coffee watching it.
There's something so relaxing about that.

I did some housework and put some wallpaper border up in the girl bunk area while Louis Dean worked on his projects. We both took naps and had a lovely slow day.


I took this pic before we headed down to do the evening chores.
The rain had gone but the mud remains.
It will be dry in another day or two.


The geese wandered up here and I just missed a really pretty photo of them under the little tree with the Indian Paintbrush. They don't stop and pose!


I fixed a hearty ranch supper tonight.
New York strip steaks from Read's, plain mashed potatoes ( at Louis Dean's request) Ranch Style beans, salad and garlic toast.


I was washing the dishes when Louis Dean said come look at the sunset.
I love our country days.

Dean and Sherry are down at Crystal Beach for a wedding.
I've been watching Facebook to see what they are doing.


I just love him!!
We are so happy they are off having fun.
I know exactly where they are as I spent my 65th birthday at Crystal Beach.....


It was pretty cool to ride a motorcycle on the beach!


And be with family and friends to celebrate.


Good memories......

So I'm going to close with this.......


Just sayin'........

18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Man, that peacock is sure mad! I hope your bite is O.K, and that you have first aid things there. The lemon mini donuts look so good! I must pay a visit to our dollar store to find them. Which dollar store was it? We have a lot of different ones! How cool is riding a motorcycle on the beach...an unforgettable birthday.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...Did the dogs get a bath?

Linda said...

Nope! Hope the rain cleans them up!

MadSnapper said...

you know the feathered friends are not my thing, but they are beautiful. I need a goat to eat our SALAD. ha ha… who got to bathe the poopy dogs? green? ugh... glad they are having fun at the beach, I know you did to.

Vee said...

You didn’t bathe the dogs? That probably didn’t come with the job description.😁

It is fun to see your days so different from my own. I do have a critter here this weekend; so far, he has managed to stay out of the cow pasture with all its hazards.

One thing I really love seeing is the emerald green. Truly a beautiful sight; mine is still pretty white.

Susie said...

Linda, I like the quiet, the flowers and looking at the animals. I would hate to tend to lots of animals everyday. I am not a pioneer kind of person. Especially the older I get. Watching the sun rise and set is more my style. I rarely even want to cook anymore. I absolutely hate walking in mud. LOL Ted laughed at me this year as I complained the mud was trying to suck my shoes off as I hauled wood all winter. Well when I was home, you know. Enjoy the sweet time. You need a double set of bibles and books and just leave one at the ranch. I like Joyce Meyer. Blessings to you and your working man, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's such a delight to see the beauty all around you there with Spring at it's finest. But doing those chores in the mud has to be an adventure for sure. Hope it dries out soon for you. Things are just beginning to green up here, and we've had lots of rain too. Hope you have a happy Sunday !

Anonymous said...

Oh the animals are amazing, the cattle are so different , are they long horns? They keep you busy , I really love baby goats, they are so cute and sound like babies when they cry lol, your bible basket is such a good idea, I’m glad you came up with a solution to replace and make do with what you forgot. The dollar stores in the United States have so much more interesting things than here in our Canadian stores. I bet you slept well st that days end! Walking in mud is tiring,

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the photo of the geese! Of course it's fun to see you on the beach...on a motorcycle too! You have had some amazing adventures over the years! Enjoy your day. The internet is great for finding info and for reading, isn't it! Sweet hugs to you both! Diane

Changes in the wind said...

Never a dull moment between the critters and the weather and again you prove that flexibility rules the day with overcoming forgetting the Bible basket.

Wanda said...

Linda...are you sure you are living this life..or is your blog a fairy-tale....The pictures of the ranch are just almost to wonderful to believe!!! That Rooster is beautiful...but mean!! We had a rooster when I was growing up, and if you turned your back on him ~~he would run and jump and hit you in the back. I was so afraid of him....but my mom was the only one that could handle him. I'm surprised he didn't get put in a stew pot! HaHa. Needless to say, you adventures are a bright spot in my day! Love and Hugs.

photowannabe said...

Oh my, green poopy doggies...
Love the videos of all the critters...sorry about your rooster attack...that would not be my thing.
I was watching some little finches in our backyard this morning. I think they are in the nest-making mode. One little guy plucked a weed stem twice his size and carried it off around the house. I'll have to go out later and see if I can find the nest in progress.
Thanks so much for your very kind words on my blog. You definitely made my day.
Happy battery charging on your beloved ranch.
Sue

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Good days. Love your posts, love seeing you at your home away from home.
Hugs.
Joy

bj said...

a wonderful post....I'm glad you have animals to care for when they go off on vacation...seems like ya'll enjoy it.
I love the country, too. but not all the animals...ok to look at...don't want any interaction with them..I am such a sissy girl

Sue said...

This was so much fun to read, Linda, I loved all the videos too, Your Happy place makes me smile! i too have a Bible Basket, It so nice to have everything handy.
Enjoy this special time.
Blessings,
Sue

Tina said...

I love it when you're down at the ranch, it's so much fun to see all the animals! The peacock is so pretty and that little rooster is scary! I can't believe he drew blood! I need to put together a Bible Basket so that everything is handy and I don't have to go chasing around looking for all of it! I wouldn't have been able to resist those lemon donuts either, I love ANYTHING lemon!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Everything is really green and lovely! I would wash the dogs either!

So glad that you’re able to do critter chores so Dean and Sherry can go to the wedding.

Carole said...

that naughty little cockerel had better watch out - he might end up in the stew pot! Cheers