Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Monday With Summer and Tuesday to Town.....

Summer spent the weekend with some friends in Waco so she and I met up Monday to have lunch and hit up some Goodwills.

I decided to bypass Mart and turned off the Countyline road which brought me out to a paved road. 


I like the subtle differences in the scenery.

Linda and Andy live really close to some of my favorite places - HEB, Home Depot and Conquistador Mexican Restaurant as well as Luby's and Walmart which has our bank inside.

I picked Summer up at their house and we shopped a Goodwill before stopping for lunch at George's.
I love that place. Louis Dean not so much - so it was perfect!


We both had skinny margaritas and they were delicious and only 100 calories!
I didn't hit a jackpot on the goodwills but I did get a few treasures.
It was good to spend some time with Summer!
I dropped her back at Linda and Andy's and came home fully intending to take a nap.
Louis Dean surprised me with a coffee bar area he had designed, made and painted while I was gone!


So one thing led to another and I was moving things around like nobody's business!


We burn our paper trash down here and that makes starting a campfire easy peasy!


We even had colored flames!
I thought it was from my art palette paper but a friend told me she puts her strands of burned out lights (she decorates with them year round as I do) in the fire and it makes the flames colored.
Who knew?? Now I do!


Louis Dean was pretty pleased with himself!
I absolutely LOVE the coffee station!!

I had gone by HEB on my way back from Waco and yet I still managed to forget a couple of things.


So after our Bible reading - and Sherry brought my Bible Basket home with her Sunday night! - I decided to go to 'town.' As in Mart. I love that little town.

I was in the Dollar store when Louis Dean called and asked me to buy a small hack saw and an extra blade. Hmmmm.....there's no hardware stores in Mart! The auto/hardware store across the street from Read's went out of business last year. Read's was my next stop for potatoes and a ham steak which I am fixing for our Easter dinner. That and potato salad and baked beans will be our menu and blueberry muffins for Easter morning breakfast. We'll watch services online.
Anyway, after I checked out I turned around and asked the older guy checking in the next line if he knew where I could buy a hack saw. He said, "You....might.....try......................."
I waited and waited and finally left thinking he had forgotten what he was saying.
As I got to the truck, another checker lady came running out and said he said to try Watson's Feed Store. I thanked her and that's where I went.


This is an amazing place! Built over 100 years ago and run by the Watson family, it is a proud part of history right there on Texas Avenue.


Much of the store is as it has always been and that's the special charm of shopping here.
They did, indeed, have hack saws. I now know they are adjustable and that the numbers on the blade indicate how many teeth are in a space on the blade so the more teeth - the finer the cut.
It was a pleasure to do business there today!

I happened to drive down an alley on the way from Read's back down to where the feed store is.


I just stopped in my tracks when I saw this cozy little spot....complete with a cat sunning on the chair.
It belongs to Virginia who owns the Vintage Shop. I wonder if they live here.
As I drove down the alleys I noticed several people lived in the backs of these fine old buildings.
Somehow that made me happy!


I love everything about driving on the country back roads and shopping in small towns.
I rolled the truck windows down and breathed the heady aroma of 'country.'
It smells the way green looks. Not the same as mowed grass. I smelled that on a side street in Mart and it wasn't the same as this sweet smell of earth and growing things.


I had a welcome committee meet me at the gate and I had to honk my horn to get them to back up!


I splurged $2 on a little yard art at the Dollar Store!


Our kitchen work station is coming along nicely.


We moved furniture this afternoon - turning the table the other way around so the chairs will sit at the table instead of against the wall. That meant Louis Dean had to move the big fancy printer he bought for me that was living underneath that table. That prompted him to move the water heater (which is still not hooked up yet since we still don't have 220 electric) and then he built a shelf for said printer which just happens to have an electric outlet right next to it!


You change one thing and then everything changes!


I like it!!
While I was getting ready to cook dinner, Rufus and Blue came to visit!
They know I'm always good for a meaty treat or two.


Sometimes I have been known to give away Louis Dean's lunchmeat!


It worked out perfect that Dean and Sherry joined us for dinner!
I cooked some chicken and simmered it with a jar of Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce from Aldi.
Served over rice, we also had jalopeno pepper poppers and garlic bread. Sherry and I had small glasses of Pacific Fruit Vinyards Sweet Pineapple Wine - also from Aldi.

I'm loving having the table where we can actually use it for meals and it was wonderful to have all four of us sit there tonight for dinner!

You know what prompted the first of all the changes we've made?
Spilled milk!
Sunday afternoon Louis Dean asked me to pour him a big glass of milk.
I poured the very last of what we had and sent a text asking Dean and Sherry to bring a gallon back for us on their way home that night.
Louis Dean settled down in his chair and spilled the entire glass of milk!
I was busy doing something so he said he would clean it up. 
Like that was possible. He tries but he is no housekeeper and I was busy and just looked down and watched him swash his tea towel back and forth soaking up the milk. I told him I bet that was going to stink!

Monday I forgot about the spilled milk but by Monday night Louis Dean said he thought a skunk had been spraying nearby. Nope! It was the spilled milk. Now spoiled milk.
Before we went to bed last night we made a plan on moving everything so I could soak the floor down with OdorBan and Fabuloso. Remember the floor is a deck with indoor/outdoor carpet on top, so I can hose it all down and it just dries up nicely!

Tonight we were sitting and admiring all the changes and how nice it turned out - all thanks to spilled milk! There's always a silver lining to just about every mishap!

I close tonight with this picture of Mother and me.


Taken just one year ago.
It's a good photo of her.
I am so glad I took so many pictures of us together.
You know, I have yet to cry since Mother's death.
I think it may be that I was ready for her to be at peace.
 I'm not sad she's not here but instead I am happy she is in heaven.



13 comments:

Susie said...

Linda, You take such pretty pictures...I love the one of Summer and you. I always liked seeing you and your mom. LD does look so pleased. Now that you know they sell things at the feed store, he will be checking that place out. I like the little sitting area behind the store too. You are truly having a good time there. Blessings to all of you. xoxo,love, Susie

Carol said...

A spilled milk adventure might just be a good name for a book. LOL! Everything looks nice and I love the coffee bar. I've been thinking about making one here. I never have company, but I think that I would like to have one

Anonymous said...

Nothing worse than spilled milk! Beautiful photos and so many memory’s for you,

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I understand how you feel about your mother. We hate to see our loved ones suffer.

Great photo of you and Summer! I’m glad you got to meet for lunch!

Your coffee bar is great! That whole space looks wonderful and I think turning the table was a perfect choice! It keeps everything from just being lined up against the walls, and always looks great to change the visual flow.

Have a wonderful Easter in the country!

Changes in the wind said...

What great shopping trip you had and loved that old cash register. The coffee bar looks wonderful and am sure was a surprise. Loved how the spilled milk created a whole new make over.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love how your table faces looking out the window. Good thing you had to move things about to clean. I also love the work station. Everything looks so bright and cheerful there. Good you got to spend that precious time with your daughter too. She always seems to bring some sunshine with her with that delightful smile of hers. Who would have ever thought that the feed store would have had hack saws, Another delightful surprise to your days. So glad you are so enjoying your country time!

Teresa P said...

Linda,
Looks like you and Summer had a great day together and LD was his usual productive self....love the coffee bar! I totally understand your thoughts about your Mothers passing and not shedding tears. When my MIL passed almost two years ago I didn't cry. Not because I didn't love her but because the last five years of her life were hard and she had no quality of life. I know she is at peace now and her suffering over.

MadSnapper said...

I would faint dead away if Bob built anything at all, like that coffee bar. the few things he built over the years I stood over him nagging. good job LD.

soooo happy to see Rufus and Blue visiting your cozy beautiful home...

if you mean burning your strands of old lights, it is toxic, the smoke and also illegal to burn them.
Is burning Christmas lights toxic?
The biggest problem is that all of them emit an extremely toxic smoke and are actually illegal to burn (ex. Xmas lights, copper pipe and garden hose, copper wire, bowling balls, batteries, etc). .

Vee said...

That is a lovely picture of the two of you. Yes, your mother is perfectly happy and whole in Glory.

Oh my goodness! You guys have done an amazing job cozying up your place. That coffee station is going to get pinned! And the table being turned looks fabulous. Now everyone gets to look out the window. I am impressed with that hubby of yours! And I am impressed with you, too.

So glad that you and Summer had time together. What a blessing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Another lovely post, Linda, with great photos of you and Summer, Louis Dean and you and your mom. Your place always looks so cozy and colorful and you are so right about one change leading to another and so on. By the way, that meal looked and sounded so good!

photowannabe said...

Love how you go shopping and have adventures along the way. The Feed Store looks like a photographer's paradise.
Love your coffee bar too and how comfy you two are making and re-creating the place.
I think your motto is
Life is Good.

Carole said...

Love your new yard art! Have a lovely EAster

Mariam said...

I am Mariam,from what I can read. It has been sad news and scam to everyone about Voodoo casters or so. But to me they are so real because one worked for me not quite long ago.i met this man on a blog his name is Dr Abalaka is a very powerful man.I traveled down to where his shrine his and we both did the ritual and sacrifice.he had no website yet but he promised to create one as costumers are requesting for it, and now i'm free from the powders of sickness.I don't know about you but Voodoo is real;love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,diabetic voodoo,hypertensive,depression healing voodoo etc,high cholesterol voodoo,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need a child),Luck, Money Spells,he also cure any cancer and HIV,it's all he does. I used my money to purchase everything he used he never collected a dime from. He told me I can repay him anytime with anything from my heart. Now I don't know how to do that. If you can help or you need his help write him on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his cell number: 760-935-3804 you can text him because he use to be very busy some times,i believe that your story will change for better,or if you have any question you can contact me here as mariambaurice@gmail.com best of luck.