Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Exercise Day #3, Bluegrass Music, Heart Healthy Salad......Our Wednesday

Today's perk was Louis Dean getting to sit in on a Bluegrass Music group after we walked 25 minutes on the treadmills in the gym at the Heritage Senior Citizen Center.


We knew about this and he opted to sit in the audience for our first visit.


This guy, Tom, was the only one we knew from past music jam sessions at our house and at the rec center. There were 6 guitar players today.....next week there will be 7.


Louis Dean was in hog heaven!


The highlight of the afternoon for me was seeing this lovely elderly couple get up and dance.

The music is from 1:30-3:30....
I'm good for an hour. That's it.
Louis Dean was not performing and I have next to NO interest in anyone else playing and/or singing.
I am only there because of my devotion to Louis Dean.
So, at 2:30 I whispered to him that I was going to leave for awhile......and I would be back....


I went down the hall to the library and sank into a comfy chair and propped my feet up.
Bliss!
I read and played my Words With Friends.
I sat and I rested. I thought about some things and I prayed about some other things.
I thoroughly enjoyed my quiet time and I shall look forward to this hour every Wednesday now.


I did share the library with one other person.
This fellow was asleep when I got there.
I was quiet so as not to wake him.
Perhaps next week I shall take a nap.


Tonight I fixed a heart healthy salad.
Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, celery, cucumber, orange sections and strawberry slices, diced onion and shredded cheese, boiled eggs and roasted chicken.
We each ate half and will have the rest for lunch tomorrow.
Dinner will be fish and rice and a veggie dish.

Louis Dean has had no angina whatsoever since he started the new medicine.
He has tests and doctor appointments every Wednesday for the next three weeks.
Saturday at 11:30 he will take off his heart monitor and turn it in on Monday.
Last night he slept well with the help of a doctor subscribed sleeping pill.
He takes them rarely but a good night's sleep is important in maintaining good health.

I've been paying a lot of attention to his well being so tomorrow I hope to get back to doing some of my housework. You know, getting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle takes a good bit of time!


We are working on it!!

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Good job!!
I was into dancing until about a year ago esp Texas two step
Good exercise
Now too painful

Ginny Hartzler said...

Please keep letting us know about his weekly appointments, and the results of the heart monitor. So this music group is at the senior center where the gym is? What an awesome thing to keep him going! Now it will make his exercise trips fun. Your healthy meal has so much delicious variety! How wonderful it is to put your feet up when you are out somewhere. Pure luxury!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

A good day Linda - full of good things for LD and tasty meals !!!. Hugs and Love.
Joy

Bluebird49 said...

Yes--keep that good-hearted man's heart good..or is that well?!
My husband and I have played country and bluegrass together for 53 years now, with others - including his brothers and our friends. If there were 7 guitars, and no banjos, fiddles basses, nor mandolins--I'm wondering what made it Bluegrass! Generally when we play, there would be at least one fiddle, one banjo, one mandolin and one bass, but at least 6-10 guitars! I guess guitar playing is either easier or more pleasant sounding, depending on your tastes.
Sitting beside a banjo--(or actually being in the same room with a banjo)--can really jangle your nerves. It was a lot easier for me to stand being around it if I joined in playing--then one doesn't notice the sound as much.
I've pretty much retired from playing since I've just about lost my voice. Now I generally stay home when Ed goes to play-- to keep from listening to it! Usually there are a bunch of people to talk to and enjoy being with at those sessions, but you can hardly hear each other talk for the music! :) My father played the guitar with his brothers, Ed's father played the banjo and fiddle with his brothers and friends, my mother sang and played the piano.
Our daughter sang, and our son plays one of his electric guitars still...so the music goes on. I really wish David or Kat would get interested in playing something--something besides their phones!!
Music usually is a joyful thing though, and it gives many people--such as the people at rest homes, etc., a lot of pleasure; and it generally keeps people out of trouble--another good reason for kids to get in touch with their musical selves.
Glad

Estelle's said...

I think it's all going to be fine...I have never seen such an active 82 year old as your LD....I love how you jumped into action of a healthy lifestyle...it's a reminder to us all to enjoy every day we are gifted....warm hugs Linda!

Susie said...

Linda, I like that you had a nice quiet time and LD enjoyed some music. Sounds like it is going to be fun at the senior center. I used to go with my sisters to our center for about a year, then I just burned out on it. I know that carrying for Ted has sometimes had me in a tailspin and I forget to take my own meds..busy organizing and getting his ready every day. I hope when he gets well, he takes that part of his life back over. I like that big salad you made. I have been feeding Ted a lot of food to get him built back up for his chemo round. He has lost 36 pounds since Oct. from his cancer battle. I am thankful he was a bit over weight. Blessings to you and LD stay strong and keep up the good exercising. xoxox, love you, Susie

Changes in the wind said...

You tease about LD needing a project but I do believe you have found one too and a good one:) Love the last picture. You nudged me about walking...I even have a treadmill here at home and it sits there quietly.

Arlene G said...

Sounds like you are taking care of body, soul and spirit Linda....which is a good thing. I have to say that I sleep better now that Marvin is retired. We go to bed when we feel like it and get up when we wake up...usually about 7:30 in the morning. I am learning to live with my new routine.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It'll become second nature to you both soon, and you won't have to 'work' at it. That senior center sounds great, and the chance for Louis Dean to play guitar with that group is going to be awesome.

Glad that his change of medicine is keeping the angina at bay. God bless you both!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sounds like Louis Dean got a bonus by attending the senior gym. How nice he now has a place to play his guitar with others. Those salads look wonderful and have everything healthy in them to make for a great meal for sure ! I love salads when it's warmer but right now I eat more soup. My exercise today will be going to the grocery store. Sounds like yours will be done cleaning. That does burn some calories for sure.
Love and hugs,
'ma'

Carole said...

Glad you got a bit of down time in the library. Cheers