Sunday, February 24, 2019

Internet, Bee Boxes and Spring Debris...Last Weekend in February 2019

This whole week I have been determined to address some of those pesky little nuisances that I have kept putting off. Anytime you call a doctor to ask a question is going to be time consuming. That was the most important 'nuisance' on my list so I addressed it first thing Friday morning.
My question was - I was wondering if it would be okay to take Louis Dean out of town on Saturday.
He was still wearing a heart monitor but it wasn't the kind that is on 'real time' so they are alerted in an emergency. It was the kind that records his heart over a period of 5 days to see if the new medicine is working. It wasn't certain that he would go with me to the Bee Keepers Work Day near Whitney, Texas - barely 2 hours away - but I wanted to know for sure it would be okay. After going through several minutes of prompts and waiting on hold......I talked to a person......explained the situation.....and she said Oscar would call me back. And he did! Not much over 2 hours later. He said it would be fine. Next I called Humana in behalf of Louis Dean and responded to a questionair regarding his last visit with his primary care/physician assistant. It was important to him that he leave a good report as he dearly loves his PA! Important even though time consuming! The computer voice sounded just like Captain Rader on Major Crimes. Tone, inflection, everything!!! Made the chore a little more enjoyable.

Wednesday I finally cried Uncle on our super slow/often disconnecting Internet service with Frontier. I elected the 'Live Chat' with a technician and after interacting for over an hour - and more than two cups of coffee on my part - I had turned off the modem/router after hooking up to my personal AT&T hot spot to continue our chat - and plugged everything back in and all seemed to be better. Still, he said a service man will come out and check things. I nearly cancelled the call since all seemed to be going well......but I had started the Live Chat conversation off with saying I need a new router. I only had Internet when I would turn the router on and off when it would disappear when I was online. I'm happy I did NOT cancel the call......the appointment was between 1:00-5:00 so at noon Louis Dean and I were getting ready to go up to the gym and walk.


Meet Richard from Frontier Communications.
He was at our door at 12:05.
We have no doorbell so he knocked and waited. Knocked and waited.
I'm glad I happened to walk through the living room and noticed someone was at the door.
We have no screen so I never open the door without knowing who is there.
He said, "Frontier."

Let me tell you, Richard solved all our problems!
He looked things over and went back to the truck for a brand new modem/router!
The best thing about the whole deal was how Richard and Louis Dean hit it off!
I went back to fixing my hair and putting on my make up - you know I don't leave the house unless I do - even for the gym! I could hear them in there swapping stories and laughing.
I listened to make sure Richard was doing as much talking as Louis Dean. Otherwise I would have gone in there and rescued him!
What we know about this fine Frontier technician is that he is 42 and has a great sense of humor.
He told us the story about his 17 year old son getting smart with his mother. Richard confronted him and said, "I have known you for all of your 17 years. I've known your mother for longer! I love you - but I love HER more! You better never talk to her in disrespect because we can always make more kids that look just like you!" I'm telling you - this man is awesome!!
When he left I told him to tell his wife she is a blessed woman. Of course,he told us that HE is the most blessed man.


Then we went to the gym laughing and talking about Richard!
Day #5!!!


We are rocking this walking thing and I am going in April for my check up.
I know Dr. Abraham will be impressed!


We are also eating more healthy meals.
Pork chops and baked potato plus a salad.
We eat at least one salad every day.
I did not fry the pork chops but breaded them with egg and milk and coated them with crushed up Durkey's French Fried Onions. Then I baked them and they were delicious!!

We had a nice Friday.
While watching a TV program, Louis Dean mentioned he was having tightness in his chest just like before he went to the cardiologist. I stopped and called Sherry and said I couldn't come to the work day the next morning. I needed to stay with Louis Dean. Then we talked it over and since I had permission.....I told him he was coming with me. End of discussion. I'm not usually as pushy with him as this but I need to know he's okay and I did not want to leave him. So he had to come with me!

 Saturday morning we woke up at 7:00 - a compromise from the 5:00 I was intending to get up.
The work day started at 8:00 so I needed to be up and leave early. But we made an allowance for Louis Dean and left around 9:00 and arrived shortly after 11:00.


I was just so happy to 'bee' there!
The treasurer of the Bee Keepers opened his barn up for the work day.
We were building Bee Boxes in preparation for the bees we have ordered which will arrive about April 15.


Sherry was already there and had been working away on long before we arrived.
She had brought Louis Dean's reclining lawn chair from the front room and he sat himself up to watch and visit with everyone.


Everyone was helping one another!


When one would finish their bee boxes - they moved over to help someone else finish theirs.
I already love these people!


Then we had lunch!
Brisket and all the trimmings!
Everyone brought sides and treats and it was every bit D-lish-US!!!


This was Louis Dean's favorite part of the work day!


I brought potato salad, dill pickle spears, pumpkin muffins and fruitcake cookies.
Sherry brought chip and a crock pot full of pulled pork.
One lady brought three of the best pies ever! Two pecan pies and one buttermilk.
I seldom eat sweets and can say no to cakes and pies - normally!
I have to say - I could have eaten an entire pie!!
Dare I admit to eating two pieces of pecan pie??
And half a slice of the buttermilk?
AND the lady gave us two slices to take home!
Oh, MY!!

It was such a good day and we had fun and made some new friends.


We drove the country roads back to Hillsboro.
This is the courthouse on the square.
When I think of Hillsboro, it's the business areas alongside Interstate 35......but there's much more to the town than that!


Of COURSE, I spied a thrift store!!!
And of COURSE, we parked and went in!


I found a few treasures......3 movies to take back to the ranch.


And a read aloud book for us.....
plus I bought three stemmed glass votive holders and 3 hand made candles....and a pretty green glass bud vase.

We left at 9:00 or so and came home shortly before 4:00.
I got to work on my housecleaning and cooking. Louis Dean went back to his music.
Sherry called me a little later and said the wild wind that had been blowing all day had done an amazing job of drying up some of the mud at the ranch. She couldn't believe it!
So we decided to make plans to leave Monday morning after Louis Dean goes to the doctor.
Win! WIN!!!
My goal is to be at the ranch half of every month......or at least BE there every month! 
Last year I missed February, September, October and November!

We went to bed happy campers thinking and planning about getting down to the ranch!

Sunday morning I woke up tired and knew Louis Dean would be, too.
We opted to watch this morning's service at Fellowship Live online.
I poured our coffee and made a tray of mini pumpkin muffins with cream cheese and we settled down in front of my laptop in Louis Dean's music room.

I had gone into the kitchen and was banging around making some lunch when I heard the door bell - as in a real bell with a string that has vintage cuff links tied to it by which  you can make the bell ring.


It was Kimmy and June......this is June.
She stayed in the car while Kimmy came up to the door.
I had messaged them that I had pumpkin muffins and fruitcake cookies for them.

Louis Dean hijacked Kimmy and was showing her some gospel music videos so I went out to sit with June in the car. I was in my 'bag lady' outfit so I put a pink cap on - I was wearing a green night dress with a flannel blue plaid shirt and black socks - to improve my appearance. It didn't help.


They brought their fur babies along with them/


Aren't they adorable???
We do so love Kimmy and June!

Louis Dean was loading up the truck for our trip to the ranch.....
and he is a genius at loading something heavy all by himself!




He is a master of physics......how things work!

In keeping with our more healthy way of eating......I made a salad for a late lunch.


Since we eat salad every day, I am using different salad plates to change it up a bit.


Our main course was chicken and dumplings.
I bought a roasted rotisserie chicken the other day and after using some for a salad, I boiled the rest and gave the skin, fat and bones to my possum. I added dumplings (torn up tube biscuits) and some seasonings. It was really good. We ate most of the dumplings so I will use the remainder for chicken noodle soup next week. I put the rich broth in the freezer until then.


This afternoon I brought in a bunch of my spring decorations.
Back in September when we were driving home from our cruise, I bought a bag of rose garlands at a thrift store.
 I never opened them until today. I used two of the matching rose garlands to fluff up this tea cup wreath I made a few years ago.


I hung it on the china cabinet in the dining room.
The rose theme continued to develop as I set the table with my Desert Rose dinnerware.....also from Goodwill last year or the year before.


There was a smaller garland of roses that I used in the middle of the table around the spring tea pots I chose for a centerpiece. Teapots also from Goodwill!


The tiny creamer ( Goodwill) will hold a small bouquet of herbs when guests come.
And we are expecting guests soon!
Louis Dean's granddaughter and her family will be here next Saturday.
We are all so excited!


I'll brag on Dean for a minute!
We could not be prouder of him and the work he has done and continues to do in martial arts.
He is such a good guy and we love being around him and Sherry!
Can't wait to see him!


I will close tonight's journal entry with a picture of my Sister Nita's new chicken lamp.
She and Mike went to Mineral Wells on Saturday.
In case you haven't heard - Mineral Wells is making a big come back!
Nita found and purchased this amazing lamp.
On our siblings thread this morning she asked for name suggestions.......
there's only ONE name for this beautiful girl!!!!
Henrietta!!!
Nita was thinking the very same thing!!

Last Monday we were planning on going to the ranch.
The doctor said no travel.

Saying a prayer that tomorrow is a go!
We are packed and ready to leave!
Hopefully my next entry will be from the country!!

18 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Our internet has been driving us nuts, too! Verizon has a monopoly here and we are as frustrated as youall! We're calling them tomorrow to get a new modem. We've had so much rain, I don't know if it's the two combined.
I've seen "Into the Wild", but not the other two videos.
I remember the quads and the tea parties! Oh, I love Henrietta!

Vee said...

Joining you in the prayer that you can make a break for it. I know how important the ranch is to your mental well being. Louis Dean is far more spry than I! He really is amazing. And you with your bee box making and all the healthful things you’re doing....so amazing and inspirational.

Susie said...

Linda, I hope you can go to the ranch. I am so glad you got a lot of things done. Making calls and all that waiting for real people to speak with is so annoying to me. Be safe this week. Blessings to you and LD. Love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Brenda said...

Have fun at the ranch
Prayers

MadSnapper said...

I LOVE the chicken lamp. really do and I would name mine Henny Penny..i do hope you get to go to the country tomorrow. prayers that the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise... love the rose teapots display and of course I loved the visiting pups... I do so love to have a repair person like you had, we have had a couple from spectrum like him... in our house though it is me talking to them and bob listening to come rescue them. he doesn't talk to strangers at all... but he does know how to move heavy things like LD does...

MadSnapper said...

PS we all know INTERNET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL

Changes in the wind said...

Linda, you truly are the model of "if you get lemons, make lemonade". Your enthusiasm with the food and exercise is superb! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can go to the ranch.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you got the new modem and the man was so nice to work with. I like the chart about walking too! Take care you two! Sweet hugs!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I so hope you are both at the ranch now! I love the way you keep an eye on Louis Dean, you are both so blessed to have each other. I love the chicken lamp! I would buy it in a minute. That Frontier guy sounds like a hoot! The bee box group sounds so wonderful, kind of like a therapeutic group to be in. What a fun new adventure to do!! OH, your table!!! So now you have given me the idea to put flowers or wreaths around teapots for my table! I never thought of that, and I love it! Now I need a couple of fancy plates like yours. Our Goodwills are certainly smaller than the ones in Texas, but I got a bunch of sweaters and a denim jean coat recently there! I should post my finds like you do, maybe I will start that. I make my dumplings with Bisquick and water, they are real good! Try them. They make up in a minute.

Arlene G said...

We will be getting another hive of bees this spring as well Linda. And I love your Desert Rose Dinnerware. It is just like mine. I use it all year. Marvin gave me a set for our 10th anniversary.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Truly walking is very good for us. I can't do as much as I used to, but still every little bit helps. I do hope today's doctor report says you can go to the ranch. I know that for both of you, it is your happy place.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Such a fun post! Great work on the bee hives, ingenious men are awesome, your teacup wreath looks fabulous with those rose garlands added!

I hope you’re on your way to the country!

Chatty Crone said...

You have a lot here girlfriend - I am glad that so far it's good with him - when is the heart test over and let us know what it said. So where and what is that job? It was nice that it was okay to bring him. I have been sick and haven't been keeping up with things as well as I should have. Feel like I am just now coming back - lol. sandie

Brenda said...

iPad wouldn't let me post today
Prayers and safe trip
Fun

Wanda said...

I love the variety of pictures and all the wonderful stories that go with them. You are a busy lady! I hope the heart moniter gives Louis Dean a good report. Mysides my dearest 5 bypasses 20 years ago, he sports a stent and pacemaker....but he just keeps ticking like the Timex watch. God is so good.

photowannabe said...

I simply adore coming to your blog. You have such a way with words.
You are one busy lady and I certainly hope you are at your ranch now enjoying every minute.
I know we aren't suppose to covet things but...
Those teapots are amazing..that bunny one is absolutely precious.
Sue of photowannabe

terre said...

where in whitney? you know, thats where my son an his family live!

The Feminine Energy said...

I'm a trifle behind on my blog reading, dear friend, and I'm going backwards from current post. I don't know what prompted the heart monitor, walking and "more healthy eating" but I'm guessing a heart scare? *hugs* Awww... I'm sorry to hear this, honey, but you know what? A check with a heart monitor.... and walking.... and a cleaned-up diet.... are all good things for all of us. Whatever happened to cause this is what I call a "speed bump in the road" which is placed there for our own welfare & safety. I praise God for that speed bump in you & Louis Dean's life, which said: "Use Caution Ahead". Love you, Andrea xoxo