Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Little Bit Country!

We left Irving Monday afternoon and headed back down to the ranch.


While snow blankets much of our country, it's already beginning to look like spring down here in Texas. This was the sun about to set as we were coming in by way of the back roads.


Wen we turn off on County Line Road, we are almost home.


The gate is one of my most favorite spots.
I love to drive through and am slightly sad every single time we leave.

We unloaded and I began to nest. Nesting is what I do best.
Dean and Sherry said they were grilling steak and would bring dinner down.


I tossed together a simple salad and made some garlic toast.
Dessert was Pear Dump Cake Sherry had made earlier.
It was all every bit delicious!

By 9:00 Louis Dean and I were sipping a glass of wine before bed.....and sound asleep around 10:00.
We are back on Country Time!

I love our country mornings.
We have coffee and listen to the country sounds as we sip away.
There's not as many roosters here as there used to be.....and I'm missing them.

Louis Dean went out to the front room to do 'stuff' while I did my own 'stuff.'


These are special treasures from my friend, Tamara.
Vintage advertising decorations.
Farmer's Grain Company, Inc. is still in business in Fredericksburg, Texas.
Not sure just how old these pieces are but the phone numbers were all only three digits.
They now hang on the wall above our bed in the camper.

We had a three pound roll of hamburger that I needed to cook so I made a meat loaf from one pound and I browned the rest with seasonings and diced onions, packaged them up to use in casseroles and popped them in the freezer.


Louis Dean took down a wall in the front room to adjust the electrical outlets.
They were sticking out too far and were bothering him.
He's always doing one project or another.

Sherry picked me up right after she got off work and we were off to Waco and the monthly bee keepers meeting.


We arrived early and there were already about 50 people there. I think that many more came in before we started. I knew next to nothing about bees and still do not know much. Sherry has had some experience with bees and has long planned on keeping some hives here at the ranch. I am going to be her helper and am so excited about this new venture. The bees have been ordered and will arrive around April 15th. I will be here to go with Sherry to pick them up. They said everyone needs to be in a truck. You do not want to transport a bunch of bees inside a car! Although there were some stories told at the meeting about some who did. They are no longer bee keepers.
Next month we have a work day to assemble things in preparation for the hives arriving. 
Then the meeting in February will be when they assign all the new members a mentor.
I do not want to miss a thing.

It was cold, windy and raining when we left the ranch. 
After the meeting we made a run into Home Depot for a part Louis Dean needed.
By then the rain had let up so we stopped at Casa Ole in Waco to get a bite of dinner.
I love their $2 margaritas!
By the time we got to the ranch, it was bitter cold, the wind was blowing wildly and the rain was pouring down. We slip slided our way in from the gate and I hopped out at our place and Sherry drove on down to their house.

It was a wild night with high winds that shook even this sturdy camper with the added room which gives extra support. The wind blew all night!

**From my cousin Carrie's Facebook page**

All during the night I could hear things banging and noises from things blowing over.
The wind blew some of the insulation from the crevices along where the camper connects to the front room. We kept the heater on in here all night but when we woke up it was still COLD!


Our go to breakfast for winter mornings is oatmeal along with crisp bacon and buttered toast.
The food sticks to our ribs and warms us up.


It's one of Louis Dean's favorite meals.

Even as cold as it was outside, the front room seldom drops below 40 degrees.


Louis Dean put his wall back together!
Then he moved on to other projects.

I made cheese potatoes to go with the meat loaf I made yesterday for supper tonight.
No veggies or salad to go with it. 
Just plain meat and potatoes.
I need to buy some fresh produce in Mart this weekend.


Our evening's entertainment was the first in the Cary Grant boxed movie set I bought a week or two ago down here in Waco.


Operation Petticoat! 

In other news.....
Mother is continuing to decline.....


Her blood pressure is low and her breathing is labored.
Hospice is giving her liquid morphine.....
They think the end is near.
Mother has been more asleep than awake for the last three days.
Deanie was there yesterday.
Lonnie and Nita visited today.
I last saw Mother on Friday and it was a sweet time.
She smiled and I had prayer with her.
This is a hard time for all of us.....

So....our movie is about to be over and Louis Dean and I will most likely have a glass of wine in the front room before we go to bed. It's 8:43 and now that we are in the country - bedtime is around 10:00! You would think our mornings would start earlier - but they don't!

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so very sorry about your mom. I went through the most sorrowful times in my life with both my mom and my grandma, so I know how it goes. I am glad you have so much going on! And now you will be e beekeeper's apprentice! How exciting, I can't wait to see you all dressed in your beekeeper's outfit. Honey is antiviral and antibacterial! Doctors are using Manuka honey on burns with fabulous results. Are there less chickens because of the coyotes and foxes?

Kathy said...

You are having an exciting time at the ranch. I know about that wicked wind. It really messed up my yard the other night.

My brother Joseph is a beekeeper. He has gotten a lot of good honey from them. I know you and Sherry will enjoy keeping them.

So sorry to hear about your mother. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Brenda said...

So sorry about your mom!
Glad you are resting!!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm so saddened to hear about your mother. I think we readers can all agree, it feels like we know her. Sending love and prayers that she passes peacefully.

I love hearing about your time in the country, but---have I missed something? Are you building a home of your own there? I was a little confused and I know I've been spotty in blogging. I'd love to know!

Your post was fun, as always!

Jane x

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Good to be back at the ranch. Good that you had a sweet visit with your Mom on Friday. You all are in my prayers. She seems to be very much at peace now.
Hugs.
Joy

Saimi said...

How I love going to the country with you! By your description and photos I feel I'm right there breathing the country air and eating hearty meals. I'm sorry about your mothers decline although I'm sure she's had a full life its never easy to see them go. It leaves a hole in our hearts when our loved ones are no longer around. I'm sure she was comforted and felt your presence and sweet spirit as you prayed with her.
Hugs X0X0
Saimi

Bluebird49 said...

You sound more relaxed down in the country! Good!!!!
That's what they did wth Mama when they couldn't do anything else. Put morphine inside her mouth with a little syringe. She was comfortable, and that was a good thing. It's still terribly stressful though-- the waiting..all of it.
Hugs!
Trudy

Vee said...

It made me grin to think of any future beekeeper taking his or her bee hive home in the car. You say that none are still beekeepers. Is that because they didn’t live to tell about it? 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

Happy, contented days at the ranch.

Praying for your family...

Carol said...

Linda, I am so sorry to hear that your mother is still declining in health. My prayers are with you and your family. I am thankful that you have the ranch in your life to provide you with some rest and some peace. I know you love it there!

MadSnapper said...

sorry to hear about your mother. prayers and hugs. I always enjoy your country life adventures and love all the critters and your photos today are beautiful. you have found one thing I would never have or participate in. the keeping of bees. Yowsa! I am more afraid of bees than snakes/spiders. good luck and hope you get lots of honey. I do know they are good for our enviroment

Susie said...

Linda, I feel so sad reading about your mother, Pauline. She will be at peace, and missed so much. We cling to our loved ones.
Glad you did not blow away in the night. For the front room to stay 40 is good. Stay warm . Looks like a good breakfast.
Thank you for the sweet card you sent to Ted and I. It is wonderful to know others care for us and are praying for us. Blessings to you and LD, we love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Arlene G said...

Prayers for your mother Linda....It has been a long journey and you and your siblings have been so faithful to care for her. Hugs.

Chatty Crone said...

Well I am sad about your mom - it is hard to lose a mother.
So the winds were pretty strong here in GA too.
Those steaks looked good as well as the oatmeal breakfast did.
So you are going to become a bee keeper now - I do know the bees seem to be disappearing and that they are super important to have around. Seems interesting.
Take care. Stay warm - 40 degrees in a house is cold.
sandie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll continue to pray for your mother. I know it's a hard time for you my friend. I just had my bowl of oatmeal and really wanted some cinnamon toast. Maybe I'll go back and make some! Have a good day. Stay warm!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you returned in time to have a sunny day to enjoy, but yes, winter is not done with us yet. Here we celebrated having one 45 degree day before we went down back into the deep freeze. It's going to be exiting to learn how to keep bees. They are amazing. My grandfather used to be a bee keeper and we all loved having the honey on the table with fresh biscuits and butter. It's a wonder that your mom has been able to hang on relatively well for as long as she has. It's seems she's been in hospice care for quite awhile now. They do make sure people as kept as comfortable as possible in their final days of life. We had them for both my mom and dad. Yet no matter how well prepared we are, we are taken back when that final day comes. I will be keeping you and yours in my prayers. Try to enjoy your days at the ranch. It's good you are there especially in troubling times.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Linda,

I'm praying this morning for your mother, and for you and your sisters and brothers. All the grands, and great grands, too. It is so hard to lose someone you love, even if the relationship has been difficult. You've all been slowly grieving already, whether you know it or not. You and your siblings have loved her with grace and love, its been beautiful to watch.

You and Sherry will have quite the adventure with your beekeeping. I'm not sure I'd chose to do it, but you'll have lovely, raw honey!

Much love friend.

terre said...

linda, although i lost my parents a while ago (almost 20 years to the day for mom and about 7.5 years for dad) the loss is ever present. i am sorry you are on this journey but grateful for the time you did have with your mother. bless you all at this difficult time. hugs, terre

Anonymous said...

Praying for your mom and your family. I lost my beloved mother three days after Christmas, and the reality is sinking in......she was the center of our large family, I am one of seven, and we miss her. May peace and grace surround you all.

Carole said...

Linda, wishing you and your mom comfort. Kia kaha