Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year's Eve in the Country!

After spending most of the day in bed I am finally feeling better.
Dean and Sherry invited us to go with them to Hamilton to meet up with Sherry's parents and with Roy and Ruth Ann and you know I had to not be well to turn that visit down. But I did.
I simply could not push on anymore. So I stayed in bed. Nearly all day.


It was late this afternoon when I decided a nice hot shower to wash all the germs away would be in order. Louis Dean and I donned our mud boots - mine are Coach - Goodwill treasure - and made our way down to their house. It was not easy. Plus Louis Dean had to turn on the water at a source to fill our camper reservoir. That was an adventure. I can't even go into all the confusion over that. Okay...he went down and turned it on.....he thought. He walked back up through the mud and discovered he had turned it the wrong way. So he walked back down there - through the mud - and turned it the other way. It filled up. In the meantime I took my hot shower and walked back up to the camper. The water was running out of the hose from the reservoir. So he had to turn the water on again and I had to hook the hose up.....this sounds simple but it was all very confusing.
At last Louis Dean was able to take his hot shower but his phone was dying.
Every time we tried to talk to each other on the phone - the geese were honking so loudly we couldn't even hear one another.


Finally! We were bathed and back at the camper.
I looked up and saw this beautiful pink and blue sky through the bathroom window.


Then I got up and went out to the sun deck and saw this.


It's a spectacular light show that God gives us free of charge.
I don't see the sunrises or the sunsets from our home in Irving.
It's just the way our house sits.
And when I try to get a photo - there's so many telephone poles and wires that it's not a pretty picture.

We are loving it here. 
This is Day #3.....we arrived on Friday night. Spent all day Saturday and Sunday and here we are on New Year's Eve.

After we got back from our showers, we settled in the front room and visited while I decorated my perpetual tree that lives in the corner.


I completely undressed it and started all over.


When I was doing my after Christmas shopping at Hobby Lobby, I found some country style garlands for 66% off and knew right away that they would be perfect for a Country Style Tree!
I reused the cotton bolls I had picked two years ago - I totally missed the cotton harvest this year - as well as the burlap garland.


Tiny metal milk pails are stuffed with cotton bolls and shiny aluminum farm animals hang from the branches.


Faux fur trees add to the country charm.


Perfect for an all year round country tree!


Here it is as we sat with our wine in the glow of the tree lights.
Remember back in the summer when we turned the AC on and it was like - well, I won't say.
Granted - it was over 100 degrees and the room was not completely closed in.
Tonight Louis Dean said why don't we try turning on the heater? (It's an AC/Heat unit)
So that's where we sat with our sparkling wine and a bologna and cheese sandwich.
We decided to celebrate the new year early so we could go on to bed.....
and that's where he is now.
I missed visiting with Ruth Ann but she called me a little while ago and we had a nice phone chat.
Both of us are hoping that we get to see more of each other in 2019.
I'm sure many of you are making plans for the new year and I think that's such a good idea.
How can we reach our goals if we have not set any?
I am doing some deep thinking about my life.
At 70, I am trying my dead level best to grow old gracefully.
70 doesn't look the way it used to. 
I still have goals and dreams and thoughts about what I want to be when I grow up.
Am I there yet? I hope not. I want to grow and learn and be.
I want to finish writing my book.
I want to spend quality time with Louis Dean - meaning we sit and talk and stupor over our coffee in the mornings. We come together in the afternoons to go over our ideas about what we want to do....where we want to go.
I am a mother, a daughter, a sister, a grandmother, an aunt, a cousin, a friend....but first and foremost....I am a wife. I'm thinking this is my priority in 2019. 
Louis Dean is 82....I want to embrace and treasure every minute we have together.

Okay. I did not mean to go off the deep end here so I think I will close my thoughts for this New Year's Eve. 

It's not even 10:00 and as I am going to bed - I bid all my friends and family a very happy and prosperous new year!! 






21 comments:

Brenda said...

Happy new year!!
Great planning-spending time together!!!

Jan said...

Happy New Year!

Arlene G said...

I agree Linda...if we have no goals, how do we do the things that are in our hearts? Now that Marvin is retiring we will have to learn a new way of doing life. Our colds are finally letting up a bit so hopefully we will all enter 2019 feeling better!

Brenda said...

2019 is here๐Ÿ˜€

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Happy New Year Linda and LD. So very happy you are back at the ranch right now - you both needed to be there. Love your boots! Have the best rest and fixing/getting stuff done that you want to do.
Hugs.
Joy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy New Year, Linda!! Your tree is just adorable!!! I love everything about it. And what glorious sunsets. I think you have gotten your priorities absolutely perfect!! You have so much going on around you that can consume so much of your time. But Louis Dean does need to come first at all times.

The Feminine Energy said...

A happy and prosperous New Year to you too, dear Linda... and Louis Dean too. May 2019 be kind to you both. Lovingly, Andrea xoxo

Estelle's said...

Happy New Year dear friend. I know you are ringing in the new year in your happy place....May we have a great 2019 full of good health and marvelous adventures!

MadSnapper said...

your plan for this new year sounds wondeful, and I wish you much luck with it and a blessed year with LD . I think most of your thoughts also, Bob is 82 and I am 74 and time it is flashing by rapidly.. we need to enjoy each other while we can. your tree looks wonderful. where are the goats, geese and chickens on your country tree. ha ha. I got a lot of chuckles at The Shower. a LOT of chuckles. what a phun way to get a shower, traipsing around and turning water on and off.. glad you had their house for your shower and hope the new year brings a shower to your home away from home... I am thinking the geese were upset because of all the traipsing back and forth. sorry you did not feel like going with them

Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...

I hope the New Year finds you in good health and excellent spirit!
Ryoma.

Susie said...

Linda, While I was staying in the hospital with Ted and had some of those baby wipe clean ups...in those public restrooms...now that is a balancing act in itself. I was not allowed to use his restroom because of the chemo he was getting. At least you and LD got the showers after such adventures. You guys may need to get a golf cart for your trip to and fro. Or one of those ATV since it gets muddy.
I like that you plan on things to do in the new year. I plan on making a list once my Teddy is home for good from his treatments. We need more family time. Your little tree looks so sweet lighting your room for a quiet time together. Blessings to you and LD for the best year ever. Love you both, xoxo, Susie

Vee said...

Yes, well, you know what they say about plans... I have very few for this year. My head just doesn’t bend that way, though I do ask The Lord what’s on the docket for the day, the week, the month, Funny that He has never mentioned a thing about cleaning the garage, but He does seem to be saying that it’s time to get out there and clean the mess that the snow and rain left for New Year’s Day. So glad that you are feeling better...most usually a nice shower helps with that. Enjoy your New Year’s Day! ♥️

Brenda said...

When I commented I realized when I sent the last new year data, it was after midnite here but not there yet lol
Forgot time difference

Changes in the wind said...

Sending blessings for the new year!!

Nancy Chan said...

Happy New Year! Lovely resolution to spend quality time with Louis Dean. I too hope to grow old gracefully together with my hubby and spending more quality time with him. May we all work together to accomplish our goal for the New Year! May God bless you and Louis with good health and strength.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So true we are given such beautiful light to see. I'm forever thankful to see a sunrise or sunset. Sunrises remind me to be thankful for another new day and sunsets remind to be thankful for the blessings I'e received that day. Wishing you both healthy and happy New Year !

jujupage1 said...

Love your all-year round tree, very nice! I hope to leave this world like an accomplished closed book but there is always something the world has to improve on. I just wish that I accomplish at least everything that I want to. Happy New year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year dear Linda and Louis Dean. Hoping that 2019 is peaceful,
happy and the best year yet for both of you. Said to myself would not make another New Year's resolution, having not much success over the years, but
have come up with one I can keep.....will sit at the piano a few minutes every
single day. I read in someones blog their word for the year was Kindness and
I really love that....not only to others but to oneself. Much love to you
both from Oregon, Phyllis

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You are thinking with good priorities, treasure your time together.

Glad you both are resting well and enjoying those gorgeous sunsets! Wow! God is such an amazing artist!

Happy New Year!

Carole said...

A lovely post. Wishing you both good health in 19. The New Year hasn't quite sunk in for me yet. Having had Christmas and New Year in auckland we are now packing up to go to our bach (summer house) for a few weeks. Cheers

Jill said...

Lovely pictures, hope you have a wonderful New Year!!

Blessings,
Jill