Friday, December 21, 2018

Campo Verde and Louis Dean's Baking Day....Thursday and Friday

The Texas Trash is all finished now and in tins ready to gift!
I got up early Thursday to bake the last 4 batches and filled all the containers, carried the trash can outside (it was a new one, by the way!) and cleaned up the floor. It sounded like I was walking on Rice Krispies the way it was crackling. 
Then we got dressed and headed to Arlington for a late lunch stopping at Walmart over there for some flour and ingredients Louis Dean needed for his baking day on Friday.


It's a December tradition to go to Campo Verde - usually the week right before Christmas.


It is over the top decorated and I don't think there's any place in the world that can best them in Christmas lights!


The place is covered!!!


Even the antlers are decorated.


The margaritas are excellent!
I may have to start ordering the smaller size.
It took a long time to drink this. Drink it too fast and you get a brain freeze!


The food is excellent!


I had a great time!
Every visit is like a party!

We drove home slightly ahead of the 5:00 traffic and we both went right in and took a little nap.

One of my jobs yesterday was to clean out the fridge.


I found some tasty treats for my possum!
I fed him two hard boiled eggs, a ham salad sandwich, a wedge of watermelon rind and some leftover chicken and dressing.


The bonus was getting to watch him eat some of it.
I use a fountain bowl with gravel in it for his food dish.


After he finished eating, he turned himself right around and drank from the kitchen pond!


He's getting bigger!


Once he finished his meal, he sauntered behind the pond and across to the deck and beyond.


The show was over so I got busy making a batch of sugarplum dough.
On Christmas Ever, my children and grandchildren will help me roll bits of dough into balls and then roll the balls in colored sugar or sprinkles. I will divide the sugarplums up between everyone and send them all home with some.
Before I went to bed, I made up a final batch of fruitcake cookie dough.
I like having it in the fridge all ready to bake up as needed.
Hopefully, after Christmas the candied fruit will be on sale and I plan on stocking up.
That stuff will keep well until next Christmas although I do bake up a batch or two every September.

This morning as soon as we had our coffee and reading time, I cleared the kitchen counter off of all the debris. It was Louis Dean's turn to bake!


And bake he did!!


I stayed out of his way and even walked through the living room instead of through the kitchen.
It helps him stay focused if no one talks to him and he doesn't get distracted.


It worked well today because these were the best rolls I believe he's ever made!


When I broke it in half fresh from the oven, it smelled delicious!!
Bread, butter, cheese and wine!
A perfect meal.

I packed away 6 gallon size bags of 9 dinner rolls per bag in the freezer.
54 dinner rolls. Enough for Christmas Eve here and Christmas Day at Amber's.
And each roll is the exact same size!
He weighs them.

Then he started right in on the cinnamon rolls!
He went on to bake four sheet pans full!


While he baked, I went out for a walk.
It's nice enough weather to be comfortable in a sweat shirt even at night.

Now his baking is all done and it's my turn to go back in the kitchen.
I need to frost all those cinnamon rolls and clean up the kitchen.....even though Louis Dean says he cleaned up after himself. And he did, pretty much. Still, only I know where all the debris goes and only I can put things back together.

So that's where I will be for the next couple of hours!


14 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

I know some great smells have been coming from that kitchen this season. I know there are messes to clean up, but the joy it brings people to get those cakes, cookies, muffins, rolls, buns, and on and on, I know is worth so much! Your cookbook gets a workout.
I just hate brain-freezes, don't you? Awful pain!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy said...

Those rolls look wonderful! I'll bet all the baking tastes great. Christmas is coming and I have to get to my baking too.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Louis Dean is a very serious and dedicated baker. His rolls look beautiful. I would have eaten several immediately! You know what? I think your lights are much, much prettier than Campo Verde. Yours are more pastel, mystical, fairy-like and lovely. Campo Verde is loud, bright, and kind of in your face. Do you know what I mean? Your possum is a very lucky boy!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Your post tonight made me smile with love at all the wonderful things you two make during the Christmas Season.
Hugs.
Joy

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Those look amazing! Tell LD he did a great job! Wish I could eat a cinnamon roll with you!

Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...

Merry Christmas and wishing you peace, joy and happiness in the new year.

Susie said...

Linda, Don't forget to tell LD just how sexy he is in that kitchen, cooking. LOL Gotta keep him motivated. I swear it's wonder your oven and stove doesn't just melt down, it barely has time to cool off before the next cooking episode. :) I bet it smells good to walk past your house though. I love seeing all your pretty lights, at the possum diner. Ted and I had a good day yesterday...not too hectic once he got his blood work. Thank you for always praying for us. Blessings to you and your loved ones this beautiful Christmas season. Love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Estelle's said...

delish! Wow..to have a husband that bakes! Fantastic...y'all have fun!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I bet your house smells incredible...wish I was there! And I think another blog friend went to that same restaurant! I wonder if my 'kids' have been there...they live in that area! Holiday hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Looks like between the two of you, you'll be having a wonderful Christmas full of good treats for all. Louis Dean is blessing helping out there with his baking. I've never successfully made homemade rolls or cinnamon rolls. His look wonderful! You two remind me of Mr. and Mrs Claus there getting ready for Christmas. So cute !

Carol said...

Tell Louis Dean I am coming for a visit. I want to try Texas Trash as well as homemade cinnamon rolls, yeast rolls, and I will bring home some sugarplums. I actually did not realize that there was such a thing. I will need to ask here if I can get some.

Vee said...

Oh he is adorable and I don’t mean the opossum. 😉 I can only imagine how good your home smelled with all that baking going on. I love how you include all the senses when you write. Ex: the crunchy Rice Krispies on the floor. Sparkle on, folks. You do it so well.

MadSnapper said...

I would gladly clean up the mess if bob would bake, or even cook. he cooks his own breakfast which is good but nothing else.. I would rather have those rolls than any thing else including steak, or trash,. bread is my thing and the kind with yeast OH MY.....

Carole said...

Silly me I though sugar plums would have fruit ie plums in them! Bet you are looking forward to Christmas. Cheers