Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Wine Bottle Garden!


If I plant them deep enough - do you think I can get them to grow??
I am sprucing up the back yard in preparation for Saturday's big QUAD SQUAD party!
I have seen several post featuring wine bottles as a garden/flower bed border.
SOOOOOO.......I have been saving my bottles.
I know what you are thinking!!! "Did y'all drink ALL that wine?"
Yes, just not ALL at ONE TIME!!!
Actually I have been saving these for a couple of years now. Louis Dean says he drinks very little wine from a bottle. He prefers a BOX! He pours a glass and says, 'That was a good HOUR!' But I can't plant boxes!


Not only do I save the bottles but I save the corks, also!
I spruced up a wreath of corks I already had (lower right pic) by adding a few fresh corks and gluing some grapes that had come loose.
I made a smaller wreath with the rest of my corks and embellished it with some wired jute I picked up at Hobby Lobby while I was down visiting Amber last week.
I love redeeming things and making something pretty from what would otherwise be trash!


I saved a couple of bottles to make Texas Wine Lights.
The grapes I used to embellish the white bottle are actually two napkin rings I picked up at Stein mart last Friday for $0.48 each! I get a kick out of using things in ways they were not really intended! Everything is up for grabs!


While I have been playing with bottles and corks Louis Dean has been digging trenches.
A big LONG one that snakes across the front yard!



He is amazing! He is at Home Depot now getting some more drains and will soon be putting them in and covering this curved black scar up with sod.
Never again will we have to worry about the den getting wet if we have long heavy rains.

So now that I have rested from all that wine bottle planting.....and it WAS hard work!....
I am going to tackle the gazebo. It is all dusty and neglected looking but that is about to change! We have a party to give and may well need the patio, decks and gazebo for guests to congregate and mingle. I'm thinking the fire pit may add some charm to what the weather forecast says will be a sunny mild day.

It will a PERFECT day to CELEBRATE Amber and Mike's Quads!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a bottle garden and those cork wreaths are lovely!

I'm sure your party will go with a swing!

Amber said...

I love it all!! The "planted" wine bottles, wreath, wine lights... it all looks great! You are both working so hard - I hope you are getting to enjoy some vino in between everything! :)

Deb said...

love it...you two are always on the move...

Elizabeth said...

Love it! You are so creative!

Kelly said...

I believe yours is the first wine bottle garden I've ever seen! That was a cute idea. I save wine corks too. They can be used for so many things. They look good just filled in jugs. Glad to know that the trench is almost done so you can have that problem behind you. Sometimes having a get together can motivate you to get things done a little faster! At least that works at my house. ha!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You both are working so hard right now. Make sure to rest when you need to.

Blondie's Journal said...

You both work so hard and long! I love what you did with the bottles and they look cute in your garden!

Bless LD for all of his hard work on those trenches! He is quite a guy!

XO,
Jane

Angie said...

I love those Texas Wine Lights!!!
WOW- I can't imagine how hard it must have been to dig that big trench. I'm glad this will take care of your problem once and for all. Oh and I say totally add the fire pit. Something so relaxing about fire pits!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Love your projects!

And LD's projects too! Oh wow, but he is doing a lot, lot, lot of work, fixing this water issue. Oh I so hope it works and you don't have any more drainage problems.

Good work, LD!!!!!!!!!!

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."

~Joseph Campbell

Lynne said...

You two are going to have tons of upper body strength with all of the digging and planting! Just in time to pack around the new grand babies. They won't be lightweights for long!
Prayers and Blessings!
~Lynne
[w/L]

Kathy said...

I love your garden. And the wine bottles inside are beautiful too.

Tell LD not to hurt himself digging that ditch. That is a lot of work!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Linda,
I just found your blog and its a pleasure meeting you.
I love your posts and reading about your Grand Quads..how amazing "Congratulations" I have become your newest follower and look forward to visiting you again.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Carla said...

Loved the wine cork wreath. You did it again. Another awesome craft. I've got a couple of bottles saved now to make my own Texas Wine Light bottles. Not so sure about the decorating part but I'm gonna try.
Poor Louis Dean. I know David feels his pain from his own trench digging recently.
Let's hope there will be NO more den floors now.