Wednesday, February 28, 2024

We're HERE!

Louis Dean loaded his tiller in the truck all by himself Monday afternoon and he was one proud guy for knowing how to get it done. He's good at figuring things out and I assisted in a tiny way by pushing in on his back as he used leverage to  get it up there!


By the end of the day we had nearly everything loaded - including two big wooden rocking chairs and a huge empty propane tank!

I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon so we got a late start in getting on the road around 3:30. Between our last trip and this one - we discovered they were doing massive amounts of roadwork right where we needed to go to get out of town.
I use WAZE navigation tool and she tried to tell us how to go and I tried to give Louis Dean the directions! 

By the time we got to Hillsboro, I was a mess!!
There had been some very loud words and some high pitched sounds on the drive down.


You can see he is now a happy man!
A chicken fried steak and gravy fixes everything!


I had a small dinner salad and am officially on a diet!
I've never been over weight before but I am now and I am going to do something about it!

The rest of the trip was pretty good - we stopped for fuel and HEB for groceries.


It was dark by the time we got to the gate.

Dean and Sherry had been to a bee meeting and they stopped by to visit for a few minutes on their way in.


Tarzan the ranch cat really loves us!


I froze the turkey carcass and brought it down so I could give him a 'hand out' every day.
He eats and then insists on getting up in my lap!

We slept so well last night!
Only night sounds here.
No traffic. No sirens.

In the night Winter decided to come back and pay us a visit!
It was COLD!
No working outside so we each puttered around today doing the odd and end things.
Louis Dean sorted his work room and I put up laundry and made meals.
We both took naps and did some reading.


This afternoon I went down to Sherry's and admired all her blooms!


She and Dean are incubating eggs!


You can see two of them started to crack.
This is day #3 out of the three days so they should be hatching shortly!


As they hatch, you lift them out and carry them over to this box all ready for them.
As you start to set them down, you put their beak into the water dish and then release them.


Two have already hatched since I came back up here to our place!

Starting tomorrow I will be on Chick Watch duty while Dean and Sherry are out of town!
I'm so excited!
Their house is so cozy and they have a huge TV and electric fireplace, fancy popcorn and a cool popper so I'm thinking we will hang out down there and watch movies along with watching the eggs!
Plus Grand dog Rufus will be there!

In other news, Summer arrived safely from Puerto Rico!


She had a great visit but was glad to be back which is a wonderful thing!
To be happy to travel and happy to be home!

She put the door handle on - the dead bolt lock was above the handle so we were still able to lock the door! Thank you, Summer!!

I'll close tonight's journal entry with two pics Amber sent me.


Amber and Benjamin - children of my old age!


Uncle Ben had come to watch the girls play hockey and cheer them on!
They WON and will be heading to the championship game on Friday!!

Yay, QUACKERS!!!







15 comments:

Debby said...

Oh those baby chicks are so cute! 🐣πŸ₯

Anonymous said...

Mama used to order baby chicks by mail when I was little; I've never seen a chick hatch! It was exciting for the mailman (rural) to bring a cardboard box filled with cheeping chicks. Mama had a little house with a warming lamp for them to be kept in and grow in. I wish I could remember more but I was so little. I just remember the fun part.
Hope you, too, have fun staying at Sherry and Dean's house! Watch something good -- a nice mini-vacation for youall!
Loved your pictures!
Love, Trudy

Ginny Hartzler said...

The quads are just growing by leaps and bounds!! I am guessing they may even drink REAL coffee now! I have to stay on a diet constantly, it's a real bummer.

BeachGypsy said...

Welcome back to the COUNTRY, yall!!--- so glad you're back. And look at Tarzan--- he's like " where yall BEEN??!--- IVE been waiting for you!" Enjoy yourselves and stay warm! Yes!!!--- NO SIRENS! NO JETS!!! pure peace and quiet...

MadSnapper said...

you know my first thought is the baby chicks and next is Tarzan, i loved Tarzan and read Tarzan and the city of gold about 20 times. Love Tarzan the cat and the fact you can stay with the eggs/chicks and watch that big TV.. the girls are so tall and grown up. how did that happen. your two babies of your old age are beautiful/handsome and happy. welcome back to your country home, hope that cold weather goes away quickly

Chatty Crone said...

Love the chicks. Love those four wonderful grands that are so big!
I am on a diet too! LOL

salemslot9 said...

I like your husband’s hat!
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ’™πŸ§’❤️πŸ§’πŸ’™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Susie said...

Linda, You call LD your knight in shining overalls.He is your Sir Works-Alot. Bless his heart, yours too. You may have to start carrying an emergency Chicken fried steak in your purse. LOL I will tell you a story of Ted and getting upset but not killing one another. He wanted to go to a parts store miles away to get a part for a trailer window, when we had a camping trailer. We just kept taking so many roads, I finally said. " let's go back and go to Kokomo, which was closer. " No... he continues on and yes we finally get there. Ted goes in and come out with the part and a blue stress ball. He hands me the ball and said, "here will this help ?" I said, "only if I can bounce it off your head all the way back home !" We both laughed and enjoyed the trip back. Blessings, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you are in the country and hopefully can rest some. Don't worry about your weight. You look great and it's more important to be healthy and happy! Sweet hugs to you both, Diane

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Winter has returned here too. But we are much colder. Some got snow, but I didn't. The roads to our east are icy and many accidents are being reported on the news today. How amazing to see the chicks hatching. Sure sign of Spring! Have a wonderful time at your favorite place!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

So cool to see those chick hatch like that!

Debbie said...

a wonderful entry linda, you have such a great, full life!! i think men are always happiest when the are eating!! i am sure tarzan looks for you every day, and he is happiest when you come and feed him the turkey. he is adorable and i am sure he loves those hugs!! linda you look great, healthy and happy, that is what's important!!

it must be so fun to watch the chicks hatch!!

Rita said...

Sorry it was a rough trip to get there. Tarzan missed you guys! Love the baby chicks. Glad you got the door fixed! :)

Nicole said...

Not sure what WAZE is but I have learned to type an address in the maps app on my phone and turn the sound up. The voice directs me where to go and if I miss a turn, or get on the wrong road, the thing I have gets me back on track. Don't know how it works but it does.

Donna said...

We lived on a farm when I was a kid...Mom raised baby chicks all the time. Thanks for the memory!
hugs
Donna