Sunday, March 3, 2024

Critter Duty!

 We have had a great time at the ranch this week and seeing all the animals!


We took over the critter duties Thursday afternoon!


I sound like a an hen myself!


It's amazing how pretty chickens and roosters are!


My favorite and no mean ones in the bunch!


Love the ducks!!


The peacock ....there's a peahen, too, and Dean and Sherry are hoping for some babies.


I went down and spent a few hours in the late afternoon to watch the incubator with the eggs.


Louis Dean went with me and we popped some of Dean's gourmet popcorn and watched The Last Full Measure.


Our sweet Rufus!


It's exciting to see the chicks start to hatch and I could hear cheeping from inside the egg!


Amon and his family had come to put the goats up and they came in just in time to see two chicks hatch!











Out of 22 eggs - 11 of them hatched!!

Dean and Sherry will start another batch now!


Food this week has been good and healthy - and not much of it for me!


I did some last bit of art on Saturday before packing it away until next time!


This was Friday nights sunset and it was beautiful!!



Saturday evening we celebrated Sherry's birthday with a dinner party!


Rosey brought some delicious watermelon cocktails!


AND this pasta veggie salad!


I had cocktail smokies and pepper poppers for appetizers.


Mushrooms, bell pepper and onions to go with out rib eye steaks!


Baked potatoes and brown and serve rolls finished up the meal.


It was delicious!
However.....I totally forgot about dessert!
Not one thing!!


But we were all full and happy and had a good time catching up with Rosey and her doings.



She brought us some of her pepper jelly and it is SO good!

Today (Sunday) has been slow and relaxing as we have packed and cleaned and loaded for our trip home this evening!


Dean brought Ruthie down to 'mow' our yard for us!



She has a bunch of assorted salad greens!



In other news -



This morning the Warriors won their Championship Game and it was a nail biter!

Congratulations!!!!

It's been a wonderful getaway with no surprises or upsets - other than one dead chicken I found in the back hen house.

Heading home in a little while - just as soon as I comb my hair and pack the perishables from the fridge.

I've loved every minute of our Country Time!!

Thank you, Dean and Sherry, for your hospitality!

13 comments:

Sandi said...

Those birds are beautiful! Doggy too.

And I LOVE hockey. 😊

Ginny Hartzler said...

That fire behind Rufus is gorgeous! Is it one of those colorful fireplace logs? You got National Geographic worthy videos of the hatchlings!! What do you do with them after they have hatched? You must remove them from the incubator right away I know. You kitty Santas will be adorable!

Anonymous said...

All your post was a delight! (Except for the dead bird.)
Sounds like you enjoyed every moment of your stay and I'm so glad. Seems like I've had a headache most of the week, but that's not really unusual
Hope you are home safe by now. I didn't look to see what time you posted, but I know you were getting ready to leave to come home. Your salad looks so good!
Harrison is a big boy! Hard to believe how the quads are growing up!
Love, Trudy

Anonymous said...

All your post was a delight! (Except for the dead bird.)
Sounds like you enjoyed every moment of your stay and I'm so glad. Seems like I've had a headache most of the week, but that's not really unusual
Hope you are home safe by now. I didn't look to see what time you posted, but I know you were getting ready to leave to come home. Your salad looks so good!
Harrison is a big boy! Hard to believe how the quads are growing up!❤
Love, Trudy

Rita said...

I love watching chickens and those are some pretty ones!
Congrats to them on the hockey championship!
You must be home and unpacked by now. I hope they planned to keep your "lawnmower" coming over while you're gone. ;)

Donna said...

Loved watching all the videos...Welcome to the world, little ones!
Congratulations to the Warriors!
All the food looks yummy!
Glad you both enjoyed your visit to the ranch!
hugs
Donna

Brenda said...

Let me say that again...you are amazing. No way on this earth would I take care of critters...family dog yes...critters no...and chickens. Let us just say that this vegetarian did not like chickens before becoming vegetarian...lol...that being said, your blog is so great...you should write books...I don't mean just your memories...I mean books about other folks...you are so entertaining and heart warming. Thank you...thank you...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a joy it must be to be able to do critter duty. Baby chicks just can't be beat! Hope you have a safe journey home and find no surprises or disasters waiting for you there !

Judy said...

Sounds like a delightful time in the country. So fun to watch the chicks hatch! What a beauty of a peacock! Congrats to Harrison and the Warriors!

photowannabe said...

Love your Critters, every one of them from "New-Born to Well Aged".
Your time at the ranch went so fast, I thought you would stay longer but it does seem that the time did you and Louis Dean a world of good. Ranch Therapy is the best.
Sue

MadSnapper said...

no roosters or pea hens for me, but all the rest you know I love and how fun it was to me Amnon and his family and that they got there to watche new babies come into the world to produce eggs. I pray the bird flu is not where your ranch is. I have seen it on the news and the price of eggs are going up fast. I paid 3.47 this past week, that was the cheapest ones. a week ago they were 2.47 and 2 weeks before that were 1.87.
I always enjoy all the photos when you go to your country home.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Quite the assortment of critters there! I would love watching those chicks hatch. I bet it is fascinating to see them pecking their way out!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Linda, for showing the chick hatching videos. This is auite a process for them to peck their way out of the shells Nd sorry to read that not all made it. The kitty Santa art looks so derful and I suspec models are your own kitties.