Sunday, September 3, 2023

Celebrating September First 2023!!!

 At last my favorite day of the entire year arrived and I was SO ready!!!

 
I changed the date on the perpetual calendar from Cracker Barrel I bought years ago!

Before I did even one of my traditions, I went out on the kitchen deck to spend the first moments of this special to me day with the Lord.
He has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams and I am so ever grateful for the life he has chosen for me.

After my Quiet Time, I came in and started all my traditions!


I lit a highly  fragrant Autumn candle that sits by my throne chair in the living room.


Next I put Neil Diamond in to play September Morn for the very first time in 2023!
I have several albums of his so after the first day of September, I play all his other songs, as well..


I listened while I sipped a cup of Pumpkin Spice coffee from Summer!
She gifted me a whole selection of Autumn flavored coffees!


I baked a couple of sheets of fruitcake cookies and they were really good!


Next up was pumpkin spice muffins.-
but the batter was more like a dough!

I checked the recipe three times and could not figure it out!
I finally added the rest of the honey and whiskey mix I had made when Louis Dean had a bad cough when we came home early from the cabin in New Mexico.
The muffins tasted good so they weren't wasted -but what happened???

The next day I realized I had forgotten the can of PUMPKIN!!!!
OOPS!!

It was a wonderful September Morn!
My Sweet Stephanie next door brought over flour so I could continue baking and then Ilene - another neighbor who is like family - came over to have coffee and cookies and muffins!

I had such a good day!
My dear friend, Lynn, called me and it was  a blessing to hear her voice and catch up with her life and family. She and her husband, Dean, gave us the table and chairs that sit on our driveway and we think about them often as we sit out there!

I loved all the messages, texts, and emails and I thank you ALL!!
I've celebrated September First for at least 35 years doing all these traditions.
It's slightly ridiculous how much I love this day - but it's even more special to me now that I have shared them with all of you since 2010 when I started blogging. Sharing our joys more than doubles them!

After spending the morning and early afternoon baking in the kitchen, Louis Dean and I got dressed and headed to Dallas to the Bells.

Harrison is on the Warriors Travel Hockey Team and his first game was that night!
We wouldn't have missed it for anything but we did have to go early to their house so we could ride with them to the game as I can't drive in the dark anymore.

Wo went on over early so I could stop at the Aldi's on our way for a few things - including flour and paper towels! How did I manage to run out of these staples??



Kailey took these photos for me!
Amber is amazing and cooks/prepares three meals a day seven days a week!
Amber and the kids also had a special bag of September Treats for me including a beautiful new sunflower and autumn leaves tablecloth!

She made an early dinner since Harrison's game was at 7:45 - and we had to be there 90 minutes before that time.


We were all so excited!!


This team requires a dress code - you arrive in dress shoes and pants, belt, and team shirt and cap.



 Then you change in the locker room to your hockey gear
and after the game you change back to the dress clothes.


Harrison is #90!!


It was such a good game and the teams were evenly matched.
They went into overtime and lost by one point in 'sudden death!'
Both teams played extremely well and we are so proud of Harrison!!


It's always a good thing to be able to spend time with Amber and the grand quads!

It was late when we got home so we went right to bed!
It's a blessing that I can drive home from Amber's house anytime day or night!
I know the way by heart and it's pretty much a straight shot on the Bush Tollway.
Another September First to remember - and treasure!!


Hope you all had a beautiful September Morn and praying it was a good first in a month of special days!


15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so glad you had such a super September 1st!! Hey, your blog name is on the hockey billboard!

Unknown said...

So glad you had a wonderful September 1st and hope God blesses you with many more. Now on to the rest of September which I hope is just as wonderful as your September 1st. So funny about leaving out the pumpkin in your pumpkin cookies. LOL

Rita said...

I'm new to your blog and didn't know how you love September first. Fall is my favorite time of year, so September is the time I first start thinking about it. Used to be we didn't see the leaves really turning until October, but these days it is in September, I guess. Lovely to have your traditions. Happy, happy September!! :)

MadSnapper said...

I wish I were more like you, I have zero traditions. think of me as a male in female clothing. no decorating, card sending, no traditions. all of which you have an over abundance of. You are always so happy and so is everyone you are surrounded by. I am happy for you that you love Sept. the month you and i were born in. Virgos we are even though we are opposites.. love you ahd Happy birthday in case if forget.

MadSnapper said...

just checked and you just slid into Libra. Aha!

photowannabe said...

Its delightful to read all about your traditions and the wonderful September Morn. The joy in your heart just spills all over us.
Fun to be with the Bells and enjoy your Grands. You are Blessed.
Sue

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love all things pumpkin spice, but i've yet to have my first cup of pumpkin spice coffee I thought I had some left from last year but I can't seem to find it. My wish for you is that every September day is enjoyable for you ~

NanaDiana said...

I love all your September 1st traditions and I just realized we started blogging the same time. Wow! They years have flown past, haven't they? And, brought hubby's health issues along the way. LOL about the pumpkin muffins with no pumpkin. Love Neil Diamond and that song, too. Love all his music actually.
I hope you have a blessed Memorial Day. xo Diana

Arlene G said...

Linda, I was out in the boonies this week so I missed September 1st!!! I did think of you however. Now we are back home and looking forward to sleeping in our own beds tonight.

Anonymous said...

It's good to see Amber and the cookies with the "substitutions"! I will bet that fixes them!🎃(Or most anything!)
Hope and pray y'all are doing well and enjoying September.
Love, Trudy

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love your September morn traditions...sounds like a marvelous day to start out the month...a very special month indeed. There is just something magical about the beginning of September after a long hot summer. Even though September may still be hot here in the south, it gives us hope for the future that it's just going to get better from here on out.I am glad you were able to celebrate with your family and watch a wonderful hockey game!! Such great memories being made. Sorry your muffins didn't turn out the way you planned, but glad you ate them anyway! Now you can enjoy them even more when you make them again WITH the pumpkin in them! LOL. Fun fun fun. You really make me look at September in a whole new light. Thank you for this uplifting and happy post.

Wanda said...

Happy September First, dear Linda. No one can celebrate September like you do. So happy you share it with us!
Everything you do is special, and meaningful.

I had a wonderful September 1st also, as I was able to put up a splashes of Fall. Just enough to say Hello Fall and enjoy the different places in our home that say we are grateful for Fall and really to treasure each day.

Soon the gentleman at church will bring me persimmons...then it will really feel like Fall making persimmon bread and cookies.

You are special and everything you do is!! Like you I'm so happy to be alive and able to enjoy my dearest and our family.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Sounds like a delightful day.

Anonymous said...

Happy September
Happy September birthday
You and I share that month.
My tradition for good luck is cabbage soup in the fall. Well as we know, there is no real fall in Florida. Thank goodness we live on the coast. I could not live inland. I digress. My cabbage soup is so yummy. Just a tradition. My best forever since birth is Linda. How she became Linda and I Brenda is an urban legend lol. Brenda

BeachGypsy said...

hi there Linda, I sure enjoyed celebrating your September 1st with you! Hopefully Fall is arriving soon. It sure is still HOT HERE. Ready for some cool breezes! hope you had a real nice Labor Day!