Friday, April 28, 2023

Simple Days.....

 I start tonight's journal entry with this art work on iron I did a long time ago.


A welder friend cut this out - two of them - one for me and one for him.
It's my version of The Last Ride......


I asked my son Jesse if he would like to have this piece and he said yes!
It's really heavy and I am glad it will have a new home where it will be displayed.

I never signed or dated this but I believe I painted it in the 1990's.

Wednesday night we meant to go watch the Bell Girls play a hockey game.....
but this crazy April weather kept us home instead.

Thursday we had another opportunity to see Harrison play and this time it worked out!


"I don't like being COLD!" 
I've heard him say that at least a thousand times.
Amber heard him, turned around and bundled him up like a burrito!!


It was an exciting game and we got to see Harrison make several goals!


He stopped to smile for MeeMaw!!!

We rode to the game with Amber and went back to have dinner with them.


She is an excellent cook and I ate every single bite!
I can't remember the last time I ate an entire steak!
There were NO leftovers!
Amber cooked up 5 pounds of potatoes to mash and they were GONE!!
I think she managed to save enough for Mike when he got home from a late night hockey game of his own!

We had the TV on in the game room while we ate our dinner so we could watch the NFL Draft.

**Source**

We were looking for Christian Gonzales....who is the brother of Logan's classmate friend.
He had visited his sister at school and talked with the class recently.
Such a great guy!
He is now a New England Patriot!

Today (Friday) has been low key......another chilly, gray April day.


I made an easy meal for lunch....


and I love my Quesada maker!

Tonight's supper ?
A large bowl of cereal! 

Louis Dean worked on the electricity in the gazebo.
His memory loss is getting in the way of what he wants to do and it takes him a good deal longer to do even simple procedures.


I used to be a compulsive cleaner and my house was just about spotless most of the time.
I'm not like that any more and I don't clean something unless it really is dirty and needs it.
When I'm stressed - I still feel the need to 'JUST CLEAN SOMETHING!'
But on a normal day, as today was, I simply enjoy housekeeping and fluffing up things.

Louis Dean buys things in large bulky containers.
I used the last of my laundry detergent this morning and remembered seeing a new container in Louis Dean's shed. He buys things and stores them in lots of different places.
It's like we play Scavenger Hunts at our house all the time!
I pour it all up in pretty bottles and that makes it easier for my arthritic fingers!
Who doesn't like to pour soap out of a pretty tequila bottle??
I do! I DO!!!











22 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Glad to hear you have been having good time, but not overdoing!

Rita said...

Your rendition of The Last Ride is just beautiful! I'm glad it will be displayed. :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Christian Gonzales on being drafted to play for the Patriots. That's exciting! I bet Logan and her friend were so excited. I'm one of those boring people who doesn't put her dish soap in a pretty container, but just leaves it in the container it comes in. I always want to, but never take the time to do it.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That piece of artwork you did is amazing!!! I never cease to be amazed at your many talents! So glad it will be treasured by your son. That is really special. Your meals look so good, and congratulations to the kids on their hockey wins/goals, etc. My hubby is a big hockey fan and I am sure he would enjoy watching the young ones playing too. Love the pretty soap bottles, etc. I use laundry pods by All,"Free and clear", so no pretty bottles for me. But I keep them in a plastic tub container in a cabinet above the washing machine, and they are easy to reach and drop in the washer. I really don't have space in the laundry room for any fancy stuff...it is pretty much "utilitarian". And with this being laundry central these days with our "guests" and also our son who comes home on the weekend to do his laundry...well...need I say more? LOL. But yes, home is where the heart is, and I am thankful there is a lot of heart in this home these days. God is good. Take care my friend, and stay warm and happy!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. I love that "Last Ride" piece that you did. I know your son will love it. Simple days close to home with those we love often give us the best memories. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

MadSnapper said...

your art piece of the last ride is now my most favorite of all your painintgs. Wow! A blessing for Jesse to have it in his home.
I have never taken anything from the bottle it comes in and put in another container unless the sprayer want spray and I have to. I must say your bottles are beautiful and since you love to decorate, why not pretty soap? Bob is always cold, he has a blanket on the sofa just to watch TV. I have never heard him say its to hot in here, I am the one that says that and cranks the AC colder. we have hit compromise,76 for the AC and he freezes and I am to warm. LD makes a cute burrito

Donna said...

Your art work is beautiful!
I know how LD feels about being cold..I also hate it!
That's a cute way to store laundry soap!
Happy Saturday...
hugs
Donna

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your artwork is amazing! I don't like being cold either but have been to a few hockey games for a grandson who plays. I always take a blanket too and keep my coat on! I don't clean as much as I used to do either. I'm so slow it takes longer to do everything, But I agree, there is no place like home !

Changes in the wind said...

That art peice is just beautiful and so glad your son wants to keep it.

Susie said...

Linda, I loved the pictures. Your thing about cleaning made me laugh. I used to clean house when I got mad...well I just don't get that mad anymore. LOL My house gets it's high spots dusted. Keep hugging LD to keep him warm. I feel cold all the time it seems. Your art piece is very nice. A keepsake too. Blessings to all, xoxo,love, Susie

Arlene G said...

Tell Amber when I come to visit you and LD, I want a nice steak dinner.:) We are at Grimmwood and we are having a beautiful day today...the sun is shining and we will go out and sit in our new chairs once the dew has dried on the grass. Linda, we really like the Adirondack chairs from Costa Elm. They are sturdy and very comfortable. We hope to add some pea gravel around the fire pit and get rid of the grass so it is one less part of the yard for Marvin to mow. Loved your post about being a young bride and mother. God is so good to all of us...he can redeem the times of our lives that we are not so proud of! We all have them. You are a mother who is so loved and appreciated by your children...that speaks volumes.

Debbie said...

i wonder where amber got her cooking skills from?? hehehehe, it look like you are a wonderful cook!!

i can't believe how big the quads are getting, harrison looks so grown up!! i have been using the washing machine sheets for soap, they look like dryer sheets and i love them. www.earthbreeze.com

Wanda said...

Linda, everything you touch is gold! I love the "Last Ride" and how special you could pass it on to someone who will treasure it.

Lots of excitment going on at your household. Love seeing your grandkids growing up and doing so well.

I love a clean house, but like you I have slowed down in that area. It looks clean to anyone who comes, but I know what really needs a good scrubbing!
Now I enjoy reading, meditating and relaxing. I like you would go 90 miles an hour. Always had lots of energy, not so much now..and that's OK. I love the life my dearest and I have RIGHT NOW!
My Don is always cold too. We have an electric thow he loves.
Hugs and prayers my sweet friend.

Suemn said...

Your "Last Ride" piece of art is absolutely wonderful. I know Jesse will cherish it:)

Debby said...

That's cute about pouring out your laundry soap from a pretty tequila bottle. Your art is definitely a keepsake. YOu do good work. I used to keep house better but I keep up and then sometimes I let a few days go - it works out for me! Until someone always shows up on those "off days."

Far Ago Farm said...

Hi Linda! I am so happy your son is giving your beautiful artwork a new home. I know he will treasure it for sure. We are hoping the Green Bay Packed draft picks will help our team rebuild! Detergent in pretty containers is definitely a simple pleasure that makes doing a chore more fun. Hope you all have a terrific weekend! Jane

Debbie said...

Hello sweet friend! So glad to read your post this morning. The iron painting you did is remarkable!! You are still as busy as ever, I see. It feels nice to reconnect with you, Linda...you are such a dear. Your posts always lift me up, and give me a boost of joy!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Love to you.
Debbie
xxoo

photowannabe said...

Boy, do I love that art piece you did. It truly is a masterpiece and Jesse will cherish it always.
Your Quads are priceless and I'm glad you could see some of their games.
You make me smile with your detergent bottles...only you would think of something so creative.
Dave and I are slowing down some too. The mind is willing but the body says...Hey, wait a minute...
Got to keep plugging along though or we will get Rusty.
Sue

Brenda said...

Love your blog. I read few anymore

Carole said...

that Quesada maker looks like fun!!

Deanna Rabe said...

Speaking of cleaning I must vacuum today!

I'm glad you got to one hockey game.

Good for LD to keep working at his projects! It'll help his memory.

Judy said...

How fun to be able to cheer Harrison on. Love his smile for you! My grandson is done hockey for the year now, but the last game I was at was surprisingly warm. They had great heaters in the stands. I agree...'home is the nicest word there is'. And you are always busy making yours beautiful!