Thursday, April 13, 2023

Cleaning and Closing up the Camper/Cabin and First Day of Setting up the Book Fair With Amber!

 We chose to sleep in and take our time preparing to come home yesterday.


I packed this stack of denim to sew a quilt with in the next few weeks.


However, I left this stack of whacked up jeans there all ready to mark into squares and cut up in May.


I dearly love repurposing things and after changing out the bedding on the camper bedroom and girl bunk, I got the idea of slipping a matching pair of pillowcases on the backs of the chairs in the front room.


I think they look good!
As I am writing this journal entry tonight and looking at this photo - I see the 'tablecloth' is really a cotton shower curtain to use over a clear plastic liner!


This is a beautiful pillow case Louis Dean's beloved wife, Ellen, stitched.
Better to cover the back of a chair and see it often than to keep it folded in a cabinet and not see it all.


I am the Queen of Cover Up and after realizing I could NOT get the marks off the front of the bathroom cabinet - I decided to cover them up with Dollar Store peel and stick squares.
This could go two ways - chicken wire and a decoupaged chicken or rooster on top - 
or honeycomb with a decoupaged honey bee or two or several on top.
Actually, Son Dean suggest the honeybees!


I see a theme here that goes with all the honey and honeybee things I already have in this bathroom!

Louis Dean loaded the truck and put all the chairs away from the front deck and cleaned the bathroom right down to mopping the floor while I vacuumed and packed up the fridge.
It was 6:15 when we left the ranch and stopped in Mart at the Dollar Store for more 'honeycomb.'


It was dark when we got home but Louis Dean did a fine job of driving.

We put the cats in the guest room and shut the door so we could unload everything and not have to watch the door. Alas, I was the one who let Tabitha out!
After filling their food bowl, I'd taken a water carafe to the bathroom to fill up and had just opened the guest room door when she darted out!
The front door was wide open so OUT she went and OUT she stayed for THREE hours!

We sat out on the driveway for awhile with a glass of wine and she would come up to us but not long enough to grab her. Finally we came in and left the front door open.
I had gone out the kitchen French doors to see if she was in the backyard when Louis Dean said she sashayed in the front door and right on out through the other open door.

I closed that one and we propped the front door open just a little and pretty soon she waltzed on in and I shut the door behind and opened the guest room door - since we had kept that one shut so Samantha wouldn't get out!


It was after midnight by the time I crawled under the covers!

Louis Dean slept in the guest room since I was going to be up early getting ready to go to school!


I wish I had taken a picture of the book fair as soon as I arrived!
Amber and I had already done a TON of work by the time I snapped this pic.
All those bookcases curving around?
No easy feat getting them in place and opened - it took a lot of muscle and most of it was Amber's!
See all those boxes on the tables?
Amber lifted hundreds and hundreds of pounds of books from on TOP of the closed book cases over to the tables! It was like she lifted weights and did strenuous workouts from 7:30 to noon!!

We stopped to have lunch at 12:30 with the kids in the cafeteria - Amber had ordered Chick-Fil-A for all of us!


Making progress!


By 4:00 I was ready to cry Uncle and the place looked amazing!
This is ALL Book Fair - the school does have an amazing library and I will take pics of that tomorrow.
What an absolutely WONDERFUL librarian they have!
She's also a great cook and shared her Golden Chicken Casserole recipe with me last year and it is now a staple in my list of menus.
I mentioned this to her today and suggested she share another great recipe with us - and could she make it TWO??? This IS our last year at this school and it would be nice to celebrate it with an extra recipe - don't you agree??


It was SUCH a good day!
Amber is absolutely AMAZING!
She knows how to throw a great party and that's exactly the feel of her book fairs!
Everyone - students, teachers and volunteers - we ALL get so excited!


She even has a photo op!!!


Logan helped me set up the table for books written in Spanish - something Amber was adamant about ordering a good many. When she first took on doing the book fair, there was a small box of books - even though she ordered more.
Last year was better but this year they seemed to have got the message and it is a VERY well stocked table now!

This year there's also a table for cookbooks!
A few years ago the Scholastic people sent some and I bought one but then the next two years - nothing.
I'm so happy about the ones available this year and at good prices!
I'll take some pics tomorrow of them.
I already know I am buying at least one and possible three!

I left a little after 4:00 but Amber stayed much later putting up the tiki hut which is the check out table.


Tomorrow I'm wearing my Hawaiian dress from Hilo Hattie which I bought on a trip there back in the days of synchronized swimming meets with Amber and the Pirouettes of Texas!
Amber bought leis for us to wear and there will be flowers in my hair and blow up palm trees on either side of the tiki hut!

The students were already wide eyed and excited watching us set up as they went past the windows.
I am so looking forward to tomorrow!
We have teacher preview day after school and Amber's dedicated to seeing that the teachers get every single book on their wish list!
Plus she serves drinks and snacks while browse!
It's like a cocktail party without the cocktails!
But there will be plenty of cold drinks and scones and other goodies!



13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am convinced that amber is super human!! The book fair already looks awesome.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. So glad that ad L.D. got home safely. I love the way you repurpose things - so fun creative! I have such good memories of Scholastic Book Fairs - both when I was a child and as a parent. I hope you and L.D. have a good weekend.

Kathy said...

I always love hearing about the book fairs. It makes my librarian heart happy. You and Amber do such a good job. I know you will miss doing it next year and they will miss you.

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced, along with Ginny,that Amber is superhuman! I'm betting she got that from you, Linda. I remember all the time you & Louis Dean stayed in the camper down there so youall could help with the quads when they were born.
So good hearing that, (even with a few 'cat'-atrophies ahead of you), you two got home safely. I know you were worn out...with THE CATS showing off! After reading about them, I don't always miss having a cat anymore! I can't do 2-3 hours of searching now! I'll just enjoy reading your cat tales instead.😂Love, Trudy
Sending love and prayers, (and thankfulness), that you are home.

Hootin Anni said...

What a great effort and do rewarding your book fair is!!! Like the photo op section...fun addition.

Laughing at the cats and "waltzing Matilda".

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you are home to help with the book fair which looks amazing thanks to Amber. Reading is so important and making the fair a fun experience is sure to encourage more youngsters to buy and read books.

MadSnapper said...

I know this school will miss Amber and this annual book fair next year and the school she ends up at will be so happy to have this super mom person to help their school.. have fun today. waiting to hear how it goes. glad you made it home safe and that the runaway cat came home

Deanna Rabe said...

I can tell that Amber loves a good theme! That's the best place to start and a book fair is no exception! I'm excited to see it myself, I can only imagine how the kids feel!

Her photo booth op is fun! That will be a highlight!

I love to read so much and even as a child I remember how hard it was to choose between all the books.

Have fun!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The kids always loved book fairs. Every one loves to read. Teachers seem to spend a lot of their own money buy books for the classrooms. They should be provided by the schools. Teachers are wonderful people. what we do without them. Volunteers like you are very appreciated !

Vee said...

Wow! It's already book fair time again! Love seeing all the imaginative things Amber came up with. Even at my great age, I fondly remember book fair season, which for me, was in the fall. Have a great day!

Jan said...

The Book Fair looks amazing! I've seen quite a few through the years, but never one where so much thought and effort have been spent for the benefit of the teachers and kids. Amber is amazing and so lucky to have you there to help!

photowannabe said...

I'm in agreement with all the comments about Fabulous Amber. You raised a wonderful woman.
The Book Fair looks so inviting and so much fun. Those kids and their teachers are getting the Best!
Glad you made it home safely and I know you will have fun working at the fair..
Sue

NanaDiana said...

You have a wonderful Amber in your family. You did a good job with her!!!! I also use pillowcases to cover up chair backs and can switch them out for holidays and months. I am glad you got the trailer closed up and got home safe and sound. I hate when an animal darts out of the house like that. Trying to catch our Scruffy when he gets out is like trying to catch greased lightening. I am glad you were able to get your baby but three hours is a long ordeal to wait.

I hope you have a blessed weekend. Happy denim quilting. xo Diana