Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Country Adventures!!

We left Irving along about 1:30 - so much for getting off before noon! 

We were hungry but decided to get through to the other side of Dallas before stopping for a Whataburger!


SO good!!


I had the Jr. Whataburger and was all smiles!
Alas, I had carried my current book in with me and accidently left it there!
I hope someone found it and is enjoying the read!

Son Dean had asked me to stop a Dollar Tree if I came across one as he was looking for peat pots.


It just so happened that one was right there across the street from Whataburger!
I bought all they had plus $10 worth of seeds as they were 4 for a dollar.

We were rolling along as happy as we could be when the truck started shaking!
Louis Dean was quick to react and pulled over to the shoulder.
It wasn't safe to get out (on I35 just south of Hillsboro) so he drove slowly with his flashers on until he could exit the Interstate.


We had a blow out on the inner tire in the back driver's side
It had ripped the wheel well cover off and Louis Dean had to get the rest loose before we could continue driving slowly to a tire place.

I looked up tire places near me on my phone and found Gabino Tires and Truck Repair, LLC located 4.3 miles from where we were. It was now 4:30 and they closed at 6:00 so we headed over there.
They are the nicest people and we knew God blessed us in sending us here.


Turns out four of our six tires needed to be replaced.
They had the tires delivered from another location and set to work getting ready to put them on while they were on their way.


It was a GOD thing all the way around.
No stress as we sat all comfortable like and visited with Luis and his family and pets!


Such a sweet dog!


This was the culprit but the other three could have gone out at any time.

In their inspection, Luis found a few other issues that need to be addressed -
The ball joint on the right passenger side was wobbly and the tie rods were loose AND the front brakes were all but gone.

God worked so many details out for us before hand.
Our bee meeting is in Hillsboro on Tuesday so we have an appointment to bring our truck back there on Sunday when Dean and Sherry can follow us and take us back to the ranch.
We can pick the truck up on Tuesday when we come for our bee meeting.
AND Luis and his family is interested in putting some bees on their property!
He has several acres and his home is next to his business.
So they may go to the meeting with is!
It was an all Win! WIN!! adventure just getting down to the country!


So much for getting there before dark!
We stopped at HEB on our way and we are here to stay until Sunday.
It would be dangerous to drive the truck unnecessarily. 

Long day but it's done  so we unloaded and let our cats loose - they'd been in their carriers nearly 8 hours without a peep!

Since it was chilly, Louis Dean and I sat with our glass of wine in front of the Dearborn heater in the bathroom. Isn't that a novel place to end our evening?
I was reading an article from the AARP magazine out loud to him when - in a split second - he fell backwards in his chair!! 200 pounds of masculine male falling backwards and landing hard.
He had a hard time getting up and I helped as much as I could.
He finally managed to pull up on another chair and he made it to his chair in the front room.
We rested and I gave him his medicine and he went to bed.
I admit this scared me good so I sat up awhile and calmed down and then went to bed beside him.
Normally I sleep in the girl bunk when we are down here but I wanted to stay close to him.

We both slept well and when I woke up around 8:00 - I went to the girl bunk and slept until nearly noon. I heard voices and went to the door and asked, "Is there a party going on?"
Dean and Sherry were with Louis Dean in the bathroom - because that's where the heater is and there's enough room to put a few chairs in front of it!
I joined them and we all had coffee and a good visit - though Sherry doesn't drink coffee!
She was on her break and had to go back to work but it was SO GOOD to see them.
I had been missing them more than normal lately.

Louis Dean didn't remember falling last night and I was surprised that he wasn't even sore.
He was out mowing while I was figuring out what to do next.
He also forgot that we can NOT drive the truck which I had to remind him of when he decided to go to Waco for engine fuel for his tiller, mower and whatever.

Dean happened to come by about that time and I told him his dad wanted to go to town.
He is so patient and gracious. No problem. Let's wait until after lunch and he would be happy to take him!


Sherry brought down two dozen farm fresh eggs and I fried up six of them along with some think cut bacon and four slices of toast.
Breakfast for lunch!

Father and son went off for the afternoon and I busied myself with housework and putting up the laundry we had brought back.

Sherry gets off at 4:00 so I dressed and walked down to her house just as she was closing up her computer.


On the way I stopped at the peacock pen.....
he was shaking his feathers at me.


Then he slowly turned around......


and there he is in all his glory!


The roosters and a few chickens were running around.
Most are in their hen houses.


Sherry has such a green thumb!
Her deck, living room, kitchen and bathroom all have such beautiful healthy plants!!

She and I had a nice visit and then we went out to see the goats.


One mama and her two baby Billy goats.


Sweet!!!

'
SWEET!!!


There are four babies altogether - 3 Billy goats and 1 female.


Today was the BEST!!!
I'm so happy to be  here - have I said that already???


Everything feels better when I'm in the Country!!

Dean and Sherry came down to join us in a spaghetti with meat sauce dinner along with garlic bread and a spring salad. Sherry and I make a good team - she cooked the spaghetti and donated the bread and sauce while I cooked the meat and made the salad and garlic toast.


Our trip down here did not go as we planned it but God had a better plan in mind and it was perfect!


25 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What adventures you have been having. All of them guided by God's hand! That dog looks like a wolf puppy! Maybe it is good that Louis Dean does not remember falling.

Unknown said...

Wow, it's never a dull moment with you and Louis Dean. Glad everything turned out okay and you were able to get the truck taken care of. Tires are important, especially driving to and from the country as much as you do. Sorry Louis Dean fell, but glad he wasn't hurt. That must've scared you to death. That peacock is a beauty. I can't stop looking at that picture. Just beautiful.

Rita said...

Yup--angels were watching over you two. So glad the truck will be in better shape when all is said and done. Seeing your friends, good food, baby goats...sounds just wonderful. Can hear your joy! :)

Donna said...

Wow Linda!! God seriously knows what He's doing! The blow out...meeting Luis...and that pup is gorgeous...getting new tires...incredible.
I was surprised when you wrote that LD didn't remember falling...I'll be praying sweet friend...
LOVED the baby goats video! So fun to "see" my friend...
Enjoy your time away!
hugs
Donna

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, God was surely looking out for you when the tire blew out. So glad you are having an adventure and seeing God's hand and the good in all things. Enjoy your time there. See you again soon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully you arrived safely and will be getting the truck fixed and can safely go home again. What a blessing !The peacock is beautiful and the babies adorable. Enjoy your time at the ranch. So glad you are not alone there and have a way to get around when needed.

MadSnapper said...

that last quote says it all about everything that happened in this post. you are right, A God Thing is what it all was. and both of you came out of it happy and safe, even from the fall and the almost disaster of him driving off in the truck. I smiled and nodded and felt thankful through the whole story today and am sooooo jealous over you holding that dog. I want to snuggle him. plus there will be more bees alive because of your tires. that peacock spread is gorgeous. i also want to hold one of those baby goats

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you got there safely. I know how stressful things like that can be. Take care and get extra rest while you are there! Hugs!

Changes in the wind said...

The Lord was definately watching over you:) Glad you made it and have the appointment for the truck to get it all fixed.

Deanna Rabe said...

God has you both in his hands! Thankful for the tire blowout that allowed the other issues to be found out. Also you’ve made new friends, and potential bee keepers!

I’m glad your in the country for a good stay, thankful LD wasn’t injured, and glad you’re with Dean and Sherry!

Arlene G said...

So glad yall got home safely.....Take some time to recover from your adventures.

Anonymous said...

So sorry, that’s all pretty scary. You are a good team with your DIL. I wish you could stay longer. Is it unusually cold there right now. It’s cold here too. ❤️

Vonda said...

Interesting how people come in to your life at just the right time. God's timing. Wonderful to know the truck will be taken care of so you'll be safe. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the country.
Vonda

Wanda said...

Oh Linda. God's providence is more than amazing! What a wonderful post and testimony to God's provisions, protection and grace!! Sending Love and Hugs.

Hootin Anni said...

LD's fall is really concerning me. I hope he is okay. Falls at our age just scares me.
Glad the tires were replaced and you both arrived safe and sound.

Susie said...

Linda, Thank God you and LD are Okay. That tire looked scary. To think more were that bad...yikes. I am so happy you got them all changed. Tell LD he is going to have to wear a helmet to keep from hurting himself. :) Glad you are safe with the kids at the ranch. You and LD make friends where ever you go.. what a wonderful gift. Blessings to all, love you, xoxo, Susie

Vee said...

Thanks be to God for getting you there safely. So glad that Louis Dean was not hurt in that topple. Yikes! It has to be true that God worked everything out for your good. Those baby goats are adorable. Have a pleasant week without too many surprises.

BeachGypsy said...

Oh that peacock is A BEAUTY, isn't he?? I love peacocks. Glad y'all made it safely to the country and enjoy your bee meeting, think it is today or tomorrow? We're having a big cold snap here....brrrr...it's COLD. Has it warmed up there any? Sorry Louis Dean took that fall!! Dang, that sounded scary. Fun seeing the baby goats! Wow, those onion rings look good, I do love onion rings, and guess what, I just posted onion rings on my post today....ha ha LOL. Girlfriend, are you growing your hair out?? It looks pretty, you always look pretty! Hugs from the country! To the country, LOL

NanaDiana said...

Isn't it just amazing when things happen and we end up right where we are supposed to be with the perfect solution to our problem(s). Sounds like God had His hand on you on that journey.

I am sorry LD fell. That is pretty scary. John has taken a few falls, too, and it always worries me that it will happen when no one is around. He is getting better though on his feet. His short term memory is not good at all but he has taken to making notes and that helps. He had his second cataract surgery today and so far -so good.

Have a wonderful rest of the week, Linda. xo Diana

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What an amazing story! So very thankful that God was surely watching over you all on that trip. That tire blowing sure could've been a serious problem...and then to find out the others were bad too. Wow. Praying all goes well in getting all the other issues taken care of while you are there. That fall Louis Dean took had to be very scary for you. So glad he wasn't hurt, but strange he didn't remember it. Maybe he was just really really tired. Anyway, again, God was watching over you. I LOVE seeing you holding that baby goat! That is priceless! And the pup at the tire place, how sweet! You look happy and refreshed there in the country. So happy for you to be able to be there. May your time there be extra sweet. Your family there sounds wonderful...Sherry and you cooking up that meal together reminds me of me with my sweet DIL Rose. It's fun to put a meal together with loved ones and friends. Take care and may God watch over you all and keep you safe and warm and happy.

Carol said...

I am so glad that God was with you in your travels. I am also glad you are at the ranch as I know that is your happy place.

photowannabe said...

We just had a tire saga of our own..no fun, but I borrowed your ending quote for my blog post today.
Hope LD is okay after his tip backwards and you are enjoying your time at the Ranch.
Hugs and Love
Sue

Sandy in Alaska said...

I felt like I needed a nap to unwind after ya'll got 'home' from the drive from home! Never a dull moment, right? I love the way God surprises us with HIS ways and timing! Love looking back and seeing how He unfolded everything during difficult times. Plus ya'll made new friends, lots of great fellowship with the old friends too and gosh, God sure saved ya'll from some dangerous possibilities with your truck. My Mother in Law went to the ER with what she thought was a severe kidney infection, which it was not, however, because of that visit she learned she had kidney cancer! God made sure she caught that in time! I love knowing how much you two will enjoy your time at your ranch! Heading to my hen house in the garage right now...my happy place! :) Hugs to you!

Carole said...

Car problems are the pits! Sorry about LD's fall - guess it's a hidden blessing that he didn't remember it... Kia kaha

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow, what an adventure you two had with the tire blowout, but what a good thing it led you to Luis and discovery of all the other issues before they caused any mishaps. That was definitely a God thing.

The video clip of you holding the baby goat baaing is adorable.