Thursday, August 26, 2021

Our Country Garden, Country Supper and Slamming Screen Doors......I Have TWO of Them!

 Louis Dean is so proud of his patch of black eyed peas! 

Never mind that they are planted so thick that you can't walk between them. He intends to pick peas tomorrow or Saturday and he's as excited as he can be. I picked what I hope is the last of the purple hulled peas this evening. Grasshoppers are everywhere and they are eating them so aggressively that I lieterally had to pull them off some of the good looking peas I wanted!


It looks like we are going to have a lot of watermelons in the near future.
They start off looking like fuzzy pickles!
I am not from a farming, gardening, or rural background so I am fascinated to see how things grow.
My siblings and I were inner city kids and only went to the country to visit relatives. I stayed out in west Texas with my Aunt Irene for part of one summer and our Aunt Viola took all four of us to Harper, Texas for a week one summer. I've always admired country life but never dreamed I would be living it myself one day - thanks to the hospitality of Dean and Sherry!

I love everything about being in the country!


And I love that we get to spend time with family.
Dean and Sherry came down to supper tonight.


I cooked steaks on our new propane grill for the first time!


It has a side butner which comes in handy down here since I only have a hot plate and an electic skillet.
There's a small stove inside the camper - but it's way too hot to turn that thing on in there!
Buttered onions to top the steaks.
I roasted a couple of Hatch chili peppers, too and that was good on the baked potatoes.


I bought a bag of fancy veggies at HEB and they were good.


Watermelon and cantaloupe from our garden!
Blueberries from HEB.


Sherry brought down baked potatoes and those delicious tiny tomatoes!


AND she brought PIE!
SOOOOO good!!

We ate outside on the deck - I had pulled all the vines away from the picnic table and strung them out on the grass or tossed them up on the fence. It was nice to eat and visit together.
Dean's shoulder has been hurting him and Sherry has to work tomorrow so they went on home to put up the goats and so critter chores.


Louis Dean and I sat out and enjoyed the last few minutes of the Golden Hour.
We start and end our country days here on the deck that faces east....well, east is to the right.
We don't sit square here.

Louis Dean did the dishes while I went back to my art.


I took this picture in December 2014 or 2015 on my front porch.
It is Kailey and Logan and we had been out walking in the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights.
This favorite photo will become a Christmas painting and I am hoping to finish it by then!
Small things take me so much longer to paint than large canvases. 


I only have one more session on this one for Grandson Levi.
It will be finished when I come back in September.

Off and all - all day today - I have been thinking about our two screen doors for some reason.


This red one was the first thing I bought when we talked about adding a room on to the camper.
By adding a room - it's actually right next to the camper and connected by guttering and covered by the big red roof. But that red screen door started it all and is the reason I use so much red here. It was a city wide garage sale here in Mart and the door costs $40. It was used but in such good shape and I loved it then and I love it still.
The other screen door is red also but it's a new one from Home Depot that I painted red.
I love to hear them slapping shut behind me as I go in and out.
When the cats are here with us, I am more careful about closing the door instead of letting it slam shut. Tabitha and Samantha can make a quick escape outside in the time it takes the door to shut.
I've been missing them!
We go home Monday and I will be picking them up after the kids get out of school on Tuesday.
And we all know what Wednesday is!

September First!!


Amen!


Goodnight from the country!


15 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

That's gonna be a special Christmas card.
That supper looked and sounded so awesome!!
Sending love!

Ginny Hartzler said...

It has been a very long time since I heard a screen door shut, that makes me kind of sad to think of. The red door is so cheerful and unique! Your evening sky photo is glorious!

MimiG said...

The sound of a slamming screen door - really makes me miss my Grandma. She had 2 off of the kitchen, but not one at the front door (the company door). She was in and out about 20 times a day and just let the doors slam as she usually had an apron full of something from the garden or peels/cobs from something she had canned from the garden for compost. She also carried her water from the kitchen well up and down the steps, in and out the doors. She was a Superwoman to me. Thank you for reminding me of her. I miss her.

Hootin Anni said...

Everything here is perfect. Good food, good company and a most beautiful evening. I bet you do miss your kitties!! I know I would.
Great art work Linda...of course that goes without saying.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I remember how many times my mother said NOT to slam the screen door! lol Love the painting of the two girls and all your fresh veggies and fruit! We are blessed my friend...and we are thankful! Hugs, Diane

Vee said...

I remember and I also remember the adults reminding us not to do that as it was wear and tear on the door wnd was an obnoxious sound. What a cute painting! Hope Harrison and Trystan have a possibility in the works.

Changes in the wind said...

Love that red screen door and all it represents. Your fresh fruit just looked wonderful as did the rest of the meal and so happy you could share it with loved ones. Picking those black eyed peas is going to be a job!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree there is something from my childhood that reminds me of coming home and hearing that screen door slam shut behind us. It is a welcoming sound.

MadSnapper said...

We watched a movie last night and I kept going in and out the door laughing the screen door behind them and Bob and I were talking about how many years it had been since she had heard the slap the screen door and we can't remember. I love both your red doors and I love your Red Roof but then I love red! I love your country live and I love all those vegetables and that food looks delicious. Sorry about Danes shoulder hope it's okay!

Deanna Rabe said...

I love screen doors like this. We have two white ones. One on the front door and one on the kitchen door! We often take them down in the late fall when we don't have the doors open again until spring! I love fresh air, and as grateful as I am for air conditioning, I love to have my doors open and a breeze blowing through!

I'd have loved sitting on your porch with the four of you sharing that great meal together. What a sunset!

Pam said...

Lovely blog. I do have a screen door on our old farmhouse back porch. I love the sound, but with three children grown and gone, it's only slammed a few times a day by my husband and myself, and the wind sometimes. Husband one time asked if I'd like a different kind of closure, one that would allow the door to close quietly. No way!

photowannabe said...

You make even screen doors sound magical...
I sure wish we had one on our front door...the breeze would be wonderful.
Love your Christmas painting..really extra special.
Fresh food from your own garden is awesome.
When we moved to this home 14 years ago I was so excited to have our own fruit trees. they have been wonderful to just pick an apple, peach and plum right off the tree and eat it right there.
I really know what you are talking about..yumm.
Sue of photowannabe
https://allredmop.blogspot.com

Lady Samy said...

That pie must have been wonderful. I also like grilled steaks. It is a blessing to grow and harvest your own food. One day I will do that too :)
I didn't know I had a talent for art. Congratulations! I'm an artist too. Kisses and good weekend.
Blog Lady Samy/Facebook/Instagram/Youtube

Wanda said...

"Don't slam the screen door!!" Yes I do remember screen doors. That spring that slammed them shut with a bang. I love everything about your post. I have such memories of growing up with a big garden, fruit trees, chickens, fresh eggs, etc. Been a city girl since marriage 1961. Miss the farm.
Your new painting for a Christmas card of the children is so special. For years I designed and watercolored our Christmas cards. That was always a fun thing to do. Maybe I'll post some of mine during December...You inspire me.
Thanks for your prayers for me and Don...the Lord is truly blessing us in the Winter of our lives. Hugs

Carole said...

Love that red! Great times! We are going to be in lockdown for another couple of weeks - but other than making sure we have enough food we aren't worried. Cheers