Saturday, August 21, 2021

Flowers, Ginger Pumpkin Praline Squares, Stick to the Ribs Food, Movies, and our Projects! Our Thursday - Saturday.....

 We are forever working in the yard - one way or another.
When I say 'Yard', I'm not meaning the lawn and the thankfully thick St. Augustine grass.
I'm talking about the flower beds. The bushes. The landscaping. Our lawn guy knows how to mow, weed eat and edge. And do the occasional hedge. Bu the fine tuning of keeping the yard in good graces is up to me.


Over the years, I have been moving more towards native Texas plants and always the perennials.....for the most part. I don't know the name of this 'sunflower' looking plant - it's on the tag attached to it but it is outside and I am in the sewing room - but it is a native Texas wildflower and a perennial.


As is this TExas Sage - which bloom pretty little purple flowers when the weather changes.
It was blooming last Sunday when we bought it!


I saw the name of this when we were at Home Depot but there's no tag on the plant we brought home.
It's like a yellow trumpet vine and all three of these plants are in the flower bed underneath the music and guest room windows.

Our friend, Val, had a recent knee surgery so I decided to take her some of my potato soup and some dessert.


I'm all about pumpkin this time of year!


And this was a really good recipe.
I shall use it again at Thanksgiving.
Like a good pumpkin pie without the crust but a praline topping!
YES!

We brought home a gallon bag of purple hull peas when we came back from the ranch and Louis Dean shelled them on Wednesday and I cooked them on Thursday.


With a good meat loaf, company mashed potatoes and sliced tomatoes - it made for a delicious 'Stick to Your Ribs' kinda meal!



Plus I made cornbread!
Louis Dean loves to eat cornbread and milk as a midnight - or a 3:00 AM - snack!


Summer is here and she treated us to a good movie!
Love anything Tom Hanks is in!

Friday afternoon found Louis Dean and Summer joining forces to get the trash tree over the storage building trimmed up.


I know this was a clandestine operation because Louis Dean told Summer to keep a watch out for me.


But I am in the habit of checking on his whereabouts every hour or two...


......and there he was!
Just a boy and his toy!!
They finished the job and he insisted on taking the fallen limbs to  the ranch to use for the campfire.
NOPE!
I have entered into the role of being the 'Responsible Grown up!'
We pay good money for the city to pick up debris like this and I put my foot down and insisted that was what we needed to do. It worked!!!


After that heavy meal on Thursday, I prepared lighter fare for Friday!
As in a light supper of chicken salad and lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes......


with the BEST crackers from Trader Joe's!
I've GOT to get me some more of these!!!


Summer is the Queen of Movies and she is providing us with a new one every night!
I'm all about BEES and this movie is about a different kind of bees.
I have never once in my life been a 'Queen Bee'.......but this was a fun movie!
Love seeing the stars who are now my age......and they are amazing!
And just for the record, I do NOT intend to ever leave my home as long as it is possible to stay here.
Nor do I ever see another romantic relationship in my fairly short expected future.
I have had two kinds of marriages and God saved the best for last for me.
Still, this was a fun movie to watch with Summer and we thought about Amber as the film went on.
I'm glad my daughters will have each other as I age.....and I am thankful I will have THEM as well.


This Saturday morning was a late one.
Louis Dean and I both slept so well......
It was after noon when I prepared our breakfast.
Fresh fruit - strawberries and apricots - with mini bagels.
One split with cream cheese and the other with peanut butter and honey from our recent harvest!
Delicious!!

Today's work involved Louis Dean repairing the lamp post light in the front yard.


It's been flickering off and on for over a year with no rhyme or reason.
There's always so many things to keep up with when you have a home and they just have to stand in line until we can get around to them.


Summer took this picture of Louis Dean looking at me.
That, my friends, is the 'look of love.' 
I did not have hair, make up or pretty clothes on.
I looked like a bag lady on a very bad day.
And yet.....he sees beauty where no one else can.
And I see him in the very same way. No matter what he looks like to the visible eye.
Is it not UNFAIR that men look so GOOD no matter WHAT???


I have had the very best week decorating and cleaning and preparing for September.
I know it may be silly but I dearly love the anticipation of my very favorite day of the entire year.....September First!

So far the entire house is dressed and ready .....except for the den and the gazebo.
And those are biggies!

We will be going to the ranch on Monday so I will have to finish these rooms up and make my fruitcake cookie dough when we get back next week.

In other news.......


My first born son, Jesse, went out for the first time since his motorcycle accident on June 23rd.


Of course, he chose a coffee shop!!
And not any coffee shop but one of his favorites......


Inclusion!

And then there is news from my youngest son, Benjamin......


Meet Zuko!
He's my newest grandcat......or grand kitten.
Only 3 months old and with an infected eye of some sort.....
he is probably THE most blessed of all stray kittens to end up in an animal shelter!
Klaus will now have a friend.
All of us.....me, Summer, Jesse, Amber and Benjamin .....have all adopted cats from a shelter.
Our first one - years ago - was Calico. Remember her, Summer? 
She gifted her to Amber when she was just about 5 years old.......problem was ......she was alergic to fleas....and we had 5 dogs at the time.
Then came July and Snowball and others after .....
Our Maggie, then Maddie and now Tabitha and Samantha.
Speaking of them.....they will be coming home soon
We miss them but we also know how much the Bells love them so we wanr to share.
It helps us when we go back and forth to the ranch and we know they love all the attention they get when they are over there with Amber and Mike and the kids......and Ginger and Bandit!













16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

We saw "News Of The World", and loved it! We have had many cats during our marriage. A few years ago, we had three, we have one now.

Ginny Hartzler said...

P.S. I'm waiting to see lots of pics of all your fall decorations!

Bluebird49 said...

Loved every single thing about this newsy post. Like getting a personal note and photos!
Love the pics of food and folks and hearing what's up with all of you. 💕

Bluebird49 said...

Oh, meant to say, I know Neil Diamond will be playing September Morn for you very soon!😘😘

Hootin Anni said...

I love decorating for Fall too. The colors ... The warmth it all creates ... And, my Halloween!

That food looks so good. All of it. And your 'native' flowers. Those bushes with yellow trumpet Vine flowers is ESPERANZA. I know 'cause we have a couple.
Sweet kitty.

Arlene G said...

What a fun post...just catching up. I am going to look for those movies. I had heard of the one with Tom Hanks but not Queen Bees. We recently got Britbox and I am watching Larkrise to Candleford. It is so good. I love a period piece. And I love spotting the British Actors I have seen in other series. Mr Bates from Downton Abbey is in this one as well as Phyllis from Call the Midwife and Dawn French from the vicar of Dibley. Hope yall have a good weekend and a good time at the ranch.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lovely post. I love all the beautiful flowers and plants in your yard. Louis Dean is a keeper for sure. So glad God put you two together. Glad things are going well for your children. I always love pictures of your fun and festive house. I would like to stop by for a cuppa and some good conversation one day! Too bad I live several states away. Have a good Sunday!

MadSnapper said...

I am happy to hear your family is rescuing cats from shelters.. we rescue dogs, so many pets needing homes.
no one is doing diddly squat in our yard. the grass is cut but who knows when it will be again.
I would love to see the new Hanks movie, but can't spend 20 dollars watching it. will wait until it shows up on prime or spectrum.
i shuddered looking at LD on the roof. glad he is down and safe. I have had to put my foot down this week MORE THAN ONCE

Changes in the wind said...

Love the picture of LD looking at you and yes it is love. You are so right about having a home and there is always something that needs attention. Our back yard lights have not worked for some time and finally found the problem and got them fixed thanks for my yard guy. mmmmm meatloaf sound so yummy maybe I will fix some this week. Such a cute little kitten and glad it has found a home.

Deanna Rabe said...

Yes, why is that men look so good even when they’ve been working hard!? You’re a blessed woman as I know you know! I am too!

I love that your kids all love LD too, and I love seeing him and Summer working together on projects!

Can’t wait to see your house ready for fall, I hope you’ll give us a tour!

Jackie See said...

I am also looking forward to your September 1st! My kitty is sitting here wanting her morning brushing, she is my shadow most of the time. I have always had a shelter cat, they are so easy to care for and give so much love. We closed on Mom's house friday and I was able to pay all of her bills! My load is so much lighter! Please pray for our daughter Sheri. She has been in the hospital since march. Her kidneys and liver are shutting down. We are not sure how much time she has left. God is working in her as we speak. Thank you for sharing! Your posts always brighten my day like a bright ray of sunshine. ~jackie~

Sandi said...

Such beautiful yellow flowers.

Vee said...

Oh yes, Louis Dean and Summer in cahoots again! I laughed about that because my grandmother and John were always in cahoots conspiring against me. 😁

I am glad that you put your foot down. There is no need to be hauling stuff for a fire at the ranch. Too funny. Don't let Louis Dean read that.

You are a dear friend to so many. Wish you were a neighbor.

A good week to you.

LC said...

Your posts of super filled days leave me a bit tired (in a good way) and ready for good FOOD from your delicious adventures. Blessings to you and yours as love continues to blossom!

Carole said...

Linda, you have a beautiful soul - you don't need special clothes or make up! Cheers

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Love reading your newsy posts, and marvel at all you and LD manage to pack into your days.
Just borrowed News of the World from the library, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.