Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Mercy Snow, Salad Lunch and More Masks!

Day folds into night and night turns into another day and we just keep on keeping on.
I talk to Lillian on the phone just about every other day and she complains about how long the days are now. They serve breakfast at 6:00 and lunch at 11:00 and dinner around 4:30.
She is limited in what she can do to keep herself entertained. TV mostly but her roommate doesn't speak English so they watch Gunsmoke and such. Thankfully, Maria (her roommate) goes to bed early and that leaves Lillian with a few hours of privacy to read her Bible and just be quiet.

I am so grateful to have a multitude of things to do to keep me occupied and Louis Dean to keep me company. The day is never long enough to do the things I want to do.


It's been fun to make meals and avoid wasting anything.
Today's lunch was a good salad using some of the pasta salad I had already made and was needing to use up. I added the last slice of ham and the last two pieces of deli turkey to Louis Dean's bowl while I had the avocado in mine.


I ate my lunch at the kitchen table and read a few chapters in this book.
I didn't realize Tiffany Baker had written The Little Giant of Aberdeen County, which I have read.
Very gifted writer.


Louis Dean had his lunch while watching the fire that was still smouldering this morning.
He was able to free his tools!


Pam had left a bag on my front porch this morning! 
Hair ties for my masks! 
They are perfect!
It takes two and you just cut them - one for each ear.

She returned one with strings since she has a small head and the elastic works better for her.
I will be making another one for her since I think we all need two. One to wear and one in the laundry after wearing.


I made these for Trystan, Kailey and Logan.
You would never guess where the elastic I used came from!
A few years ago we had a sheet that didn't work for us. Wrong size I think.
But it had this great elastic all along the edges. All the way around!
I cut it all off and saved it and have used a good bit of it over the years for one project or another.
What I had left is what I use for the kids' masks or for more 'girly' ones since it looks a bit lacey.


I found one small piece of this Dallas Cowboy fabric at the bottom of a basket.
I washed it up and was able to make two adult masks and one child's out of it.
The adult ones are for my sons, Benjamin and Jesse, and the child one will go to Harrison.
Tomorrow I will sew masks for Jesse's family and an extra set for the the Bell girls.
Then I am taking a break and cleaning the den - the last room in the house to get attention.
I will celebrate Good Friday by baking Easter Bread and getting down some spring and summer decorations.

I'm so thankful for my sweet neighbors like Stephanie and Olga who pick up things for us as they are out at the stores and friends like Pam and Brenda and Virginia who do the same. 


Amber will bring us some supplies in the next day or two and pick up their masks as will Benjamin and Jesse.


We are safe at home and will stay here until the shelter in place order is lifted.
Then we will be heading to the ranch!


We are all doing the best we can right now......


18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your masks look so professional!! And your nighttime fire picture is beautiful. That looks like Venus up in the sky.

Kathy said...

My sister sent us aa couple of masks today. She said at the hospital they wash them with alcohol each evening and let them dry overnight to wear the next day. Ours are not nearly as pretty as the ones you are making.

I know what you mean about the day not being long enough. That is how I feel each day. I feel for Lillian and pray that this whole thing will be over soon. I miss the ladies I visit in the nursing home and wonder how they are doing.

You and LD take care and be safe.

Deanna Rabe said...

Good job on the masks.

It’s good to keep busy!

Susan said...

I like the frill ones you made for girls. I thought about the hair ties, but I thought they would be to short and to tight for around the ears. I am making one for my grandson and I have been using shoelaces for the boys. They do have to be tied. I love how creative you are!

Chatty Crone said...

Love the masks - you can also Lysol them on both sides at night.

Mary said...

Stay safe. Love the masks

The Feminine Energy said...

The last time I was in a grocery store was February 29th. I was with my granddaughter to pick up some candy I had promised her. If only I had known that would be the last time I would be walking down grocery store aisles until at least mid-summer... I probably would have walked a little slower. :-) Oh, poor Lillian. I can only imagine! I will pray for her safety as I do for everyone. We'll get thru this... and hopefully will have learned whatever lessons we're supposed to. I can think of a few that I have learned already! Stay safe, Linda & LD!! Love you, Andrea xoxo

Vee said...

We all have such interesting stories to tell. Poor Lillian. Her life in the home has become so small and narrow. I am glad that she has some quiet time for Bible reading and prayer.

The masks look wonderful. The one I made is much too big and bulky not to mention hot and unpleasant.

Hang in there. This will end some day and we are all praying that it is sooner rather than later.

peggy said...

hi Linda, I love your masks, you have been really busy, and the girls at the hospital say the hair ties are more comfortable than the elastic. I am now working on some head-bands to go with the masks to take the stress off the ears. Let me know if you want to try some. I wish we didn't need any of these things don't you? Love You.

MadSnapper said...

your best is so much better than my best. you are doing something for others, while I sit here and feel down and fret over when this will be over. I got up today so down I wanted to stay in bed all day... poor people at Lilians home, I had not thought so much about their sheer boredom but was thinking of the danger of the virus.. I will have to practice being thankful for what I have. thanks

Changes in the wind said...

I too have been amazed at how I have come up with creative ways to use up left overs. Your masks look great and am sure they will be appreciated. Feel bad for Lillian but glad she has you to watch out for her.

Arlene G said...

I am fortunate that some lovely ladies made face masks for me and Marvin has one too if we need them. I am hoping they will let us go out with masks in the near future. Poor Lillian, I am sure this is hard on her. I got my ham out of the freezer today so it can thaw, We are having Easter dinner on Saturday with left overs on Sunday. I wanted to do it on Saturday so Todd and Amelia could come over and fix a plate to take home. Glad you and LD are doing well. I think we are all longing for May!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm keeping safe at home too and like you enjoy what others send my way. I got lunch from One of my Dil's yesterday, A package in the mail with ham, cheese, bread, chips and a chocolate bar. It will make at least 4 lunches for me. She's so thoughtful. My SIL brought what I needed from the store. We are both blessed with people taking care of us so we can stay in and not be out. I sometimes feel a little guilty that they might be putting themselves in harms way. You are almost to the point of nothing else to clean . It' ll be interesting to see what you get up to after that.Take good care and stay at home.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are certainly keeping as busy as always, Linda, with your home projects, cooking and making those great-looking masks for family and friends. If we all need to wear these (as most folks are now) it's great to have style and yours really do! Good that you are keeping in touch with Lillian as these self-isolation weeks must be very hard for her and others at the nursing home.

Carole said...

You are a real Energiser Bunny (do you have those ads in the US?) Busy like your bees. Great masks. Cheers

Anni said...

Us know I prefer the Texans over the cowboys...but, Linda these are awesome for y'all who love Dallas. Terrific job.

Your crockpot recipe you mentioned with my comment from you sounds delicious.

Good friends, happy, busy, days & most of all right now, your health, is what it's all about. Stay safe.

Debbie said...

one day really does roll into the next...i keep asking chuck what day it is!! i, like you, never have enough time to do all that i want to do, i am never bored. it is nice to have the blog and my blogging friends to connect with!!! and i am grateful to have such a great quarantine buddy!!!

so nice of you to make those fun masks. i already had a box of masks because i am suppose to wear one whenever i go out in the winter. most of the time i don't, but i am so immune compromised that my drs. always tell me to. i have not gone anywhere since the beginning of march, chuck has done any errands that need to be done and he always wears a mask and gloves. thank goodness for bike rides, i do enjoy the fresh air...and also sitting on my back deck, we have a great view!!!

Bluebird49 said...

I am barely able to keep up with what day it is! How did I miss this, or was the other one older!? Anyway, it was good to read both tonight.
Our son has been surprising us with gift boxes and baskets with country ham and such in them, then Hickory Farms, then another one of baked items. We won't die of hunger! He sent his dad some Bubble Up drinks in the glass bottles along with other birthday things. (He had heard him say he hadn't had one since he was a boy.) It has been rather fun to find boxes we didn't order from Amazon in our step.
I do wish Ad's music friends could all get together. He misses them and the fellowship when they play and sing. Playing solo isn't as much fun for him.
I play my keyboard sometimes with the headphones plugged in. I'm trying some Chopin pieces, and the banjo isn't a classical instrument. Lol. We have enjoyed watching YouTube videos of music before bedtime, though. Classical music is very relaxing and I've always loved it; now Ed likes it, too. (Old dogs..New tricks, etc.!)😍😏