Thursday, January 16, 2020

Gentle Routines....Wednesday and Thursday


Both the Home Health nurse, Dennis, and the Physical Therapist, Kirby, were here yesterday.
I can walk normally without a cane or a walker and have been able to since about the third day.
Next Tuesday the doctor will take the staples out and I will then schedule for out patient therapy.
Recovery is moving right along.
Yesterday was 82 degrees! It was late afternoon when I realized I was HOT!
I wasn't expecting heat in January!
Louis Dean had gone on errands and when he came home, he finished up the electrical work and I turned on the bedroom AC, my sound machine and the oil diffuser - and then proceeded to take a most wonderful nap!!!

Sherry worked some from the Irving office this week so she stayed with us last night and we had such a good visit! It's been a muddy week down at the ranch so this was a good time for her to be here in the city.


Louis Dean bought some more steaks on sale at really good prices from Kroger and he's been cooking them in a skillet on the stove. They are delicious! That's what he made for dinner last night.
Sherry and I sat out in the gazebo for a few minutes while he got things started in the kitchen.
It was the first time she's seen the gazebo since he got it all back up.
Then she went in and made salad and along with baked potatoes - dinner was served!


For dessert we had some rich cheesecake Amber brought over to us. Made even more special topped off with a couple of Bourbon Cherries from Aldi!

I've not been staying up late these days although I sometimes get up and piddle around about 5:00 in the morning before going back to bed. Nor do I sleep really late, either. I'm usually up by 9:00 or so.


This morning I woke up to a chilly rainy day......my favorite kind!
Louis Dean was still asleep so I slipped quietly out of the bedroom and set myself up in the living room to have my coffee and quiet time.
By the time he got up - I was ready to go back to bed for a little nap.

Kirby comes between 12:30 and 1:00 and the exercises don't take more than half an half.
I've been doing some light housework and have spent as much time out of bed as I have in lately.

They say the pain usually lasts 4 months or so and I believe I am over the worst of it.
This morning I took a pain pill - I couldn't see doing those exercises while I was already hurting - because they do hurt! I was taking an afternoon nap when the pill totally wore off and the pain woke me up.
This time I took a couple of over the counter Tylenol and iced my  knee.
It worked!
Normally, ice doesn't help me much but it is now becoming my friend.


I'm really grateful to be doing so well.
I sleep good, too, which is important.


This evening I started sewing a denim quilt for a young man I have known and loved since the day he was born.
I thought I had made him a quilt years ago but I had not! NOW I am!!
Back before Thanksgiving I counted out the squares and stacked everything up on the end of the sewing machine, thinking I would get it done before Christmas sewing it a little at a time.
That didn't happen.

When the kids came over Sunday, they did what they always do - they found denim squares and wrote messages on them and/or drew pictures. I intend to use all the ones they've drawn on in a small quilt someday. They didn't realize I had plans for the stacks of denim and they picked and chose and did their thing. So today when I started to sew - I realize I no longer have the same plan I started with in November. No worries! I have plenty of denim and it feels good to be doing a project again.





21 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

It is so good to hear you are doing this well! I think everyday will get better, and I'm glad you know when you need your pain meds. I know the pain must be intense!
Glad you got to see Sherry, and hope your denim quilt goes well. 💕

Deb J. in Utah said...

Glad you are recovering quickly. I will look forward to seeing pictures of that quilt when you are finished. Enjoy what's left of the week. Keep progressing!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Linda, you are managing your knee healing work since operation so well. Good that you are taking pain meds ahead of your physio exercises and when you know you need relief. Already you are working on a project - wow - and having Sherry visit is lovely. Between LD and Sherry and the cheesecake Amber brought over you all had a fine supper.
Hugs.
Joy

Jan said...

So glad your recovery is going so well!

Terra said...

That is good to hear you are recovering and getting help with exercising, etc. I like the quote about people who sleep with comforters/quilts.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so glad you are doing so well!!!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm praying you pull through and have a good recovery. This is when you truly appreciate family. And you have always been so giving of yourself.❤️]
Jane

Vee said...

Your recovery has been such a blessing not only for you, Louis Dean, and your family and friends, but also for all your readers. I wear a grin the entire time I am visiting. It is wonderful to read how very well you are doing. Sleeping and eating well, doing your exercises, puttering about the place, and even feeling like a project? Praise God! You’re an inspiration.

Kathy said...

I'm so glad you are doing well. Sleep is so important to healing. I am praying for you and Louis Dean. I like the quote at the end of your post. Every time I sleep under a quilt my mom made, I feel like it's a hug from her.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you are healing and doing better. You sound in good spirits too. Hope your pain is manageable today and you are able to do some of the things you want to do....some...not all! Take care! Take it easy!

Changes in the wind said...

Wow you are doing great! Am sure those denim quilts are really warm and appreciated. You are a perfect example of taking lemons and making lemonade:)

MadSnapper said...

so much good news today, you are doing fantastic, sleeping well, walking, LD is cooking (ha ha) ice is helping, you sound upbeat and something you did I can't seem to do is not get upset when something doesn't go as planned, like the denim squares. that would upset me, you just smile and go forward. wow

Sue said...

Your recovery is going so well, Linda, I believe your attitude has had a lot to do with it, you are inspiring me to inspire my dh.
I probably will come back and reread your recovery posts a lot in the next few weeks.
Your meal looks delicious.
Friends are so special!
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs, and prayers.
Sue

Arlene G said...

So glad to hear you are doing well Linda. It is amazing how quickly people recover from knee and hip replacements these days. That steak that Louis Dean made looks delicious. And cheesecake...yum!! So glad you got to see Sherri. I am sure you were missing her. Hope you can get to the rainch to do some of your recovery.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love that last quote about one sleeping under a quilt is comforted by love. So true when you think about all the love that goes into making one. So glad you are doing so well and even able to do some things. Just take care and don't overdo it. At least quilting is something you can do sitting down. Glad Louis Dean is feeding you well. he is such a blessing.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a blessing to be recovering so well and so quickly!

Rest is a great healer, and so is good food!

jujupage1 said...

I happy that you're back to doing a project! It's very kind of you to have done something for someone else. I'm also happy that you're active and making a speedy recovery! 😂💜🙏

photowannabe said...

You are an inspiration, especially your attitude...
It's so good to see how well you are healing and moving forward.
Yummm, steak, baked potato and cheesecake...there is nothing better !!!
I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt when you are done. Good for you puttering and doing projects.
Are those Bomba compression socks?
I'm thinking about getting some myself.
Take care and have a great day.
Sue

Carole said...

so glad things are going well. Cheers

photowannabe said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.
You said that I have experienced an amazing life.
That stopped me in my tracks and I got to thinking...YES, God has truly given me an amazing life.
I have been given the chance to visit many different places, cultures, made so many interesting friends and been pushed out of my comfort zone on many occasions.
I really am grateful for it all.
Lots of bumps along the way but Hubby Dave and I just keep on keeping on...
Keep resting, napping, puttering, and healing..
Love visiting your blog Linda.
Sue

Wanda said...

Hi Linda...So happy you are doing so well, and coming along nicely. Isn't it wonderful to have Home Nurse care? We are experiencing that with my dearest after the stroke. Speech therapist, physical therapist and RN's. All doing what they do best. That cheesecake looks so good.

One of my favorite times is my early cup of coffee and talking over the day with my Lord and Savior.

Hugs from us and prayers.