Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Tuesday and Wednesday....and a Tour of Santa's Bedroom at my Friend's Home!

Decorating seems to make a big mess before it starts to look good and it.is.a.LOT.of.work.
Summer helped me Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with the den and she did an amazing job of adding lights to the two new wreathes I bought. Louis Dean says they are the most beautiful ones I have even hung above the two big mirrors.


She also did the lights under the poinsettias.
I am a 'if it's close - it counts' kinda gal and Summer does things up right.


Louis Dean decided to help out and he spruced and fluffed up a tree for the den and added some lights.


This is the finished tree tonight.
Summer added the rest of the lights yesterday and went back to Rowlett this morning.
Louis Dean started them at the top - with the business end of the plug way up there.
She made it work.
The den is actually all done - I just finished it tonight, but I didn't take a lot of pictures because I am too tired to move the vacuum cleaner and cleaning stuff! Reality check!


This afternoon while I was knee deep in decorations out there in the den - Louis Dean cracked and shelled some of our pecan harvest.
I made sweet potato casserole (using fresh sweet potatoes!) and the topping calls for some chopped pecans. I think it's wonderful that I will use our own pecans this year for my baking!
I made garlic green beans and big fried pork chops for a late lunch.

I made enough to share and took dinner over to Pam this evening.
She's recovering from back surgery and when I came in. I thought she  had company.


This friendly super soft guy was sitting up in the chair!
Isn't he adorable?

Around 2:00 this afternoon, the wind started blowing....as in wildly!


This photo is taken from Pam's back door.
Such beautiful color right here in Texas!

From Pam's I went over to help Brenda as she boxes up and closes out her deceased parents home.
She has done the brunt of all the work involved - along with her amazing husband, Billy.
I didn't do much but I wanted to help any way I could.
She's had an estate sale and a garage sale and now is boxing all the rest up for Salvation Army to pick up. It's a melancholy business. I've learned a lot from Brenda over the years. She was a good daughter and has no regrets. But it has been an exhausting job and it's not over yet.

When I got home tonight, Louis Dean told me all about how the wind blew nearly every leaf off the pecan trees....within just a couple of hours.
He came out to the gazebo and found the leaves at least a foot thick. So he blew them off and mowed them! Tomorrow he's going to use the blower to get the leaves OUT of the sewing room.
He had left the door open.

I'm closing tonight by showing you my friend's amazing Santa Bedroom!
Chuck is a dear long time friend dating back to the late 70's-early 80's.
He collects all things Santa and has a collection that simply boggles my mind.
I saw these on Facebook and he graciously gave me permission to share them here on the blog.


SO many Santas! All so beautifully displayed.


It must be magic to sleep in here!


I am so impressed that you can't see cords running all over the place!


I don't know how long he's been collecting but it's safe to say it's been awhile.


I would love to know the history of how he stared this collection.


He and his wife live in Kentucky.


I am just blown away by all this and would truly love to see it in person.


I hope to ask him what inspired him to collect all these Santas.
I know from reading Facebook that everything in all the display cabinets and shelves stay out year round while all the rest is stored in their garage.
It must be a big one!

That's all for tonight!
I have been so busy lately I have missed visiting with everyone and I miss that.
I hope to catch up with y'all soon and I'm trying to not get so behind in my journal entries each night.
I'm sitting in the gazebo as I write and the wind has blown in some rain. Not a heavy downpour but enough to feel all cozy to be inside. It was nearly 80 yesterday and upper 70's again today and it's so warm I have the attic fan blowing. Hopefully we will sleep cool tonight.

16 comments:

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

A lot of work went in to adding the Christmas lighting Linda. Beautiful. The Santa collection you share is amazing and so well displayed. Sleep well.
Hugs.
Joy

Bluebird49 said...

I love sweet potato casserole. I also put brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans on top. Yum!
That Chuck really has an A-1 collection, huh!
Pace yourself, dear. Everything you put out will have to be tucked away again. I just love the Santa wall. It is so unique!

Estelle's said...

That bedroom is quite impressive..so much to look at and admire...what a treasure and delight this is.....have a great weekend Linda!

JBen said...

Your den looks so inviting and Summer did such a great job. Your friend sure has an awesome Santa display. Love sweet potatoes too, and with your own pecans, yummy!

Changes in the wind said...

So many decorations and all look pretty. That sweet potato casserole sounds wonderful. It would be fun to sleep in that Santa room:)

Arlene G said...

Your den looks pretty, Linda. I need Summer to come to my house and help me.lol I now have a prelit tree but I was like you...oh that is good enough. lol Stringing lights on trees is aggravating. I did put a few things in the bedroom yesterday but most will wait until next Friday. I am trying to use what I have but in different ways. Love the Santa Room...that is quite the collection.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful Summer was able to help you with the decorating and you got so much done. Four hands are always better than two just like to heads are better than one. Glad you can can still sit out and enjoy your gazebo. Here is's too cold. Other than yard work I don't spend much time outside this time of year and I miss it terribly. That Santas bedroom is amazing. It had to have taken awhile to collect all that and it's decorated nicely too. Thank you for sharing.

Tina said...

I love your decorating and it's all the nicer because you had help from Summer and Louis Dean! The wind has been blowing like crazy here too - it just starts to feel a little bit warmer and then the wind picks up again! That Santa room is AMAZING! You just have to have the Christmas spirit when you sleep in that room (it should be in a Hallmark Christmas movie!!) Hope you both have a wonderful Thursday!

Deanna Rabe said...

That is an impressive collection! Does he own one of your delightful Santa paintings?

That wind must have been crazy to lose all those leaves! Glad you got some rain.

Your home is looking wonderful!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The Santa room is amazing, but no more so than what YOU do in your home!! Your tree is gorgeous! Summer really has a knack for decorating...now I wonder WHO she got that from?

Vee said...

Those leaves go everywhere. Speaking of which, that is some lovely foliage from Texas today. The decorating team did a fabulous job. It looks so cozy and so festive.

Your FB friend has an amazing collection. Thanks to him for being willing to share.

Susie said...

Linda, Your house is looking very much like Christmas. Summer has been a wonderful help. I know she loves being with you and LD. Bless her sweetheart. Linda, The leaves, of our catalpa tree, fell off in just one day and it was full . The wind has picked up here. I had to get scripts filled yesterday, two trips to the CVS, Today I finally saw the chiropractor. I do not feel any better. I may have to go back tomorrow. My back is out from carrying wood. I have to stop that. Take care. Blessings to all, love you guys, xoxo, Susie
p.s. It was nice to text a bit with you.

BeachGypsy said...

Linda my green eyed girlfriend....I. Simply. Cannot. Keep. Up. With. You!! hahahahahah LOL I swear you do more than I do in a week in one day or so. LOL Loved seeing all these santas in your friends house. That is an amazing collection. So Christmas-y. Looks like y'all been real busy getting Christmas out and displayed, hung up, put up, etc. The wreaths are pretty, tell Summer she does great job!

Carole said...

Talk about a collector's bug! I used to collect things (not on his scale) but have stopped now - all takes up too much room and I'm not a duster... Cheers

Eva B. Norvell said...

You need to get LD one of those long handled pecan picker-uppers that you roll on the ground so he doesn't have to lie in the yard! We had one when we had huge pecan trees and it really works. Poor guy! I miss having our own pecans, and am a bit jealous....
Everything looks so festive--I haven't even started yet.

Kathy said...

Your house looks like Christmas central. It is so pretty and festive. I won't start until December 1. I hope it turns out half as nice as yours. Your friend's Santa collection is impressive!