Thursday, March 21, 2019

Thursday With Summer......

Summer and I spent the whole day together!
I packed up the car, filling the entire trunk with the various bags and baskets this morning, and Summer drove us over to Fort Worth and the Trail Lake Nursing Home.


She is so photogenic!
I don't think she ever takes a bad picture.

Lillian's room is just inside the door and as we came in I could hear her crying.
Mark - the social worker, and Tara - her granddaughter, were both kneeling down in front of Lillian trying to comfort her. Tara had just arrived from her home in Weatherford. She was there to tell Lillian that Ann - Lillian's oldest daughter, was dying and she would take her to see her one last time.
We knew Ann was seriously ill and was in a hospital in Weatherford but Lillian thought she was improving. Ann was on a liver transplant list but had taken a turn for the worse.

I felt so sorry for Lillian. She lost her only son a few years ago, then she lost her husband in January 2017. They had been in the home together so after his death, she was given a roommate with whom she bonded and they were good friends. This lady died just 6 months before Mother arrived at the nursing home. Lillian was good to Mother even when Mother was not good to Lillian. Still, Mother's death upset her and then she had a difficult new roommate and that resulted in being moved not only to another room but to another hall where she didn't know anyone. The beauty of that move, though, was getting to have Margaret for a roommate. So, you see that Lillian has had many  losses in recent years. 

Lillian and Tara left and we stayed the afternoon with Margaret.


Lunch for four was now lunch for three.
I set the table in the community living room just around the corner from their room.
We had such a good time as we ate and talked. Lunch lasted well over an hour.
I had baked the Lemon Crack Cake in cupcake pans and that worked out so well.
That's the red container there on the table that I had prepared for the nurse's station.
I asked Margaret if they had asked to have a plate of food heated up and she said that Lillian had asked one evening but the aid had refused saying she would have to check to see if it was okay and never came back. Hmmmmm.......it did not set well with me to be baking and gifting goodies to the staff when they were not taking care of the residents. I thought about how to handle this and decided to go talk to them about it. There was a LVN at the desk so I told her the situation. I said that Lillian couldn't keep the microwave we bought her because of her pacemaker and that we had gifted the microwave to that station since theirs had gone out. I also said that Mark - the social worker - had assured us that the aids would heat up stuff when Lillian and Margaret asked. The LVN agreed and said that was certainly right. Then I told her about the aid refusing and she agreed that was wrong and that she would make sure they all knew it was okay to heat things in the microwave for any of the residents. I thanked her and told her I had brought cake and trotted back to the table to get it!
She ate one right then and there and proclaimed it delicious! I watched the cupcakes disappear over the course of the afternoon one by one as the different staff workers would come to the station.
I was happy I had brought them to 'sweeten' the deal.


All in all - lunch was a huge success!
There were a few other residents in there while we were eating but none of them would have been able to join us even if I had brought more food. Lillian and Margaret are the most independent people I have seen in this section. It's called Hall 1. Seems more practical to put the healthiest people in one hall so they could be friends and interact together. But perhaps they need to spread the less needy ones out so the 'work' is evenly divided among the staff. I'm certain there's much more to running a home than what I can see from my limited perspective.

Summer wheeled Margaret back to the room and I cleaned up the table.
I had brought a few movies and asked Margaret to select our entertainment for the afternoon.
Nita and Mike had bought a brand new TV for them on Sunday and got the VCR set up and fresh batteries in the remote!


Summer is not a big fan of musicals but she is a really good sport!!

While the movie played, I would watch awhile and clean awhile.


Lillian stores her case of soft drinks, water and a couple of baskets of odds and ends under the bed so I thought a bed skirt would be nice to keep the staff from seeing what she had down there. By the way, they had not been asking her for drinks this week like they did before. Or I guess they could have and this time Lillian said no! Anyway! Getting a bed skirt on with that rail is no easy task! Finally Summer held the mattress up. It's feather light. Glad she was with me or I'd still be tugging that thing this way and that. Then I just slit the skirt where the bar things were so the skirt fits nicely now.


And she has a little more privacy for her things.


Nita bought some hooks for their hand towels last Sunday and hung them up.


I laid out her new pajamas on the bed when I was finished.


I love a comfy cozy bed and wanted Lillian to have one, too.


This is Margaret's!
 Her granddaughter bought the bedding for her and I think it looks so cheery!


A painting of mine now hangs on the wall covering up an inspection door.
I need something smaller for the one below it!

It felt good at the end of the afternoon to look around at the warm cozy room with the fragrant smell of 'clean' hanging in the air.
I hope coming home felt good to Lillian tonight.


I packed all my stuff up and it was time to head home.
But I couldn't leave without going back to Hall #5 to see Roberta.
She was in bed and looked like she was asleep but she wasn't.
I went in and we visited for a few minutes.
She has asked for hospice and had spent the afternoon 'doing businesss' as she calls it.
Hospice will increase her quality of care. 
I had prayer with her and told her I love her.
God has knit our hearts together and I am grateful to know such a beautiful lady.
God is taking care of her - even with the hospice care.
Come to find out, the hospice lady got to talking to her and Roberta and her husband had been good friends with this lady's parents. They were all in the same Sunday School class at Broadway Baptist Church. The others passes away a long time ago. At 100 years old, all of Roberta's friends and siblings have already gone on to heaven. Last week she asked me to pray for her to have peace.
I don't think she's afraid of dying. In talking to her tonight, I gather she wants peace from the staff and residents there at the home. The lady across the hall has made a pest of herself spending hours in Roberta's room. Once I had to ask her to leave so Roberta could take a nap and she was really ruffled by that and demanded to know why she couldn't stay while Roberta slept!
I admit to tearing up when I said goodbye tonight. 

Summer drove us home and navigated us around some nasty traffic due to wrecks!
I picked Louis Dean up and we went up to the Center to walk.
When we got home I took a hot shower.
Any time I visit a nursing home or the hospital, I come in and change clothes and take a shower.
I remember Amber doing this when she would have to go to the doctor back when her preemie quadruplets were home from the hospital. Deanie does the same thing.
It's probably a good idea with all the germs around everywhere......especially in a nursing home.

While I showered.....


Louis Dean fixed supper!
It was delicious!
AND he cleaned up the kitchen!!
Now that's a Win! WIN!!!


Goodnight, everybody!
Sleep well!

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are a guardian angel to so many. And you do so much for so many! God's work, through YOU. Louis Dean fixed you a feast! And by then I know you needed it badly. Summer is looking so good!!

Jackie Mitchell said...

Linda, You are such a good soul. We need more people in the world like you. PS. What is a LVN? Love you & all you do for others.

Bluebird49 said...

I don't remember how long I've "known" you through this blog, but I just am so glad I do. You strengthen my "faith" in humanity, because I know the Holy Spirit lives inside you and you try to let It use you. Jesus broke the Ten Commandments down to two---Love God, and Love thy neighbor as thyself. I see you doing just that and I think you're an angel.

I'm so sorry about Lillian's daughter--I know that broke her. I wish that news had waited a day or so, so she could have enjoyed eating that great meal with you and Margaret, but I know there will be other times. The room is looking smashing, by the way. At Mama's home, they were all about what you COULD NOT bring in there--and no comforters, because they would get in the way of the aides cleaning! No microwaves or fridges (might catch on fire), no heating pads, (same reason!), and on and on.Your being able to work with the nurses (and some of them don't want to be worked with , it seems) so that Margaret and Lillian can have treats. They certainly deserve them, and especially since no family seems to be there for them.
I know it's hard to try to do for them, with other wondering why not them. I know you wish it could be everyone, too, but there's just no way. I wish they'd all get "adopted" by folks. We need clones of you and Louis.

Oh--residents would wander into Mama's room all the time, too. They'd go in her closet and ransack. Who knows what they did if she was in the dining hall! Some are so combative, too, and they don't know any better! (They're in various stages of dementia, so it's hard.) I know--it would be nice if they could match people up as far as their health and sense concerns, but I guess there must be "RULES" about that,too! Don't get me started!I haven't forgotten about Mama's stay at CHC.
Hope Summer added to their fun--she really looked so pretty, didn't she?!

Carol said...

Linda, You are such a blessing to those precious ladies at the home. My mother in law is currently in a rehab situation at a home and may have to go into assisted living. I will do the same for her.

Vee said...

My heart is so heavy for Lillian What a difficult journey she has been on. You and Louis Dean have been so good and I know that she sees in you a great blessing. Praying for her and for Ann and all her family.

Now if I employed some of your kindnesses, I might be more than person non grata at “the home.” 😊 And thank you for mentioning the changing of clothes and showering after a visit to the doctor’s or any medical place. Have never thought of that, though I do wash my hands a lot.

Summer sure does light up a room. She has one of those amazing smiles!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree about the shower and clean clothes after visiting hospitals and nursing homes. Better safe than sorry. So sorry your visit was interrupted by the sad news of her daughter dying. Glad her daughter showed up and could take her for a visit though. The thing about the microwave really amazes me. After all you are the ones that put there for her use. Hope better communications makes it work from now on. I do think people in nursing homes do get better attention when they know they'll be having visitors regularly. And your treats can but help too.

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I’m glad Summer was with you, as I know Lillian’s news was hard. Praying for her and her Ann and the family.

I’m glad that you keep an eye on Lillian and Margaret. Their room looks bright and cheery and cozy. I thought your painting was a Thomas Kinkade painting! Beautiful!

I never really imagined that other residents would be pushy about being in each other’s rooms. I guess many might have dementia. You’re inspiring Linda and I’m thinking about ways to reach out to people and encourage them, like you do.

Changes in the wind said...

Sorry that Lillian wasn't able to enjoy the lunch but nice that you just went ahead with the plans and that it turned out well. The beds look real pretty and you are in your happy place when you can decorate. Glad you spoke to the staff and hopefully it will get improved.

The Feminine Energy said...

Awwww Linda, what a "mixed bag" kind of day.... some nice, some hard. Poor Lillian! She's had a lot of loss indeed, hasn't she. That's the down-side, of sorts, to living a long time. I don't know whether I'd like to live a really long life or not. I'm glad the Lord has to decide & not me. :-) Love you, Andrea xoxo

Debby said...

You are such a blessing as well as Louis Dean and Summer. I love what you do to cheer these sweet ladies. Made me sad that they wouldn't warm up her food.
❤️

NanaDiana said...

What a full day you and Summer had, Linda. I hope, when I am done working full time, to be able to do some visiting at a nursing home. I think it is so important for the residents to have some outside interaction...some have no family at all and that is so sad.

I just watched Mama Mia myself...late as always with movies. lol

Thank you for cleaning and "doing for" your sweet friend. You are an angel on earth whether you think so or not.

Have a blessed weekend. xoDiana

Rain said...

I love your to do list. :)
You handled the situation with the warming of the food very well Linda!

photowannabe said...

Linda you are such a blessing to those around you and I admire your giving heart.
I'm so glad you got the microwave thing straightened out...hope it continues.
Your cupcakes certainly "sweetened " the deal.

Debbie said...

First and foremost, I agree with you about summer being extremely photo genic, but you are also! I have never seen a bad picture of you! You are such a kind soul to do all that you do for the people in the nursing home it really makes my heart smile. Nice of Louis to cook you dinner and good that you shower as soon as you get home, I know up here there are a lot of illnesses going around!

Carole said...

You are truly an inspiration. Very sad for LIllian but I know you will do what you can for her. Cheers

Susie said...

Linda, So good to see sweet smiling Summer. That girl seems to be happy all the time, I pray she is. You are so very kind to others. I know what you mean about tearing up with Roberta. It's sad . My mother had a friend that is still with us. I write to her and send her cards lots. She just lost another of her friends, I know the friends list is getting shorter and shorter for her. I want to see her soon. Hoping I can get some time. When I would go to the home where my Lizzy worked, it was sad to see people not eating and not even knowing it was time to eat. Totally heart breaking. My daughter doesn't work there any more...she got a better job and better hours. But she misses her "ladies". That Louis Dean's getting all sexy on you Linda, Cooking AND cleaning. Ooowee what a man. :):)Blessings to all, love you, xoxo, Susie
p.s. I love that you made the room cozy and clean.

Nonnie said...

I am overwhelmed at your thoughtfulness, talents, kindness and generosity to all these nursing home residents. What a blessing you are. I love what you did with their rooms and the way you dealt with the staff there. Those burgers sure look good. You are a lucky lady!