Thursday, October 4, 2018

Celebrating June's Birthday, Crack Cake, Halloween Tree and a Baby Quilt! My Wednesday!

It was a warm day in Texas! I think it hit 90 degrees!
I'm so looking forward to cooler weather next week!


This afternoon, Louis Dean and I met up at PJ's Cafe in Irving to celebrate June's birthday!


Isn't she beautiful?
I want to look like her when I'm 87!
She is as beautiful inside as she is outside....
My children all love her.
When Amber and Ben were little - and even when they were bigger -
every Tuesday night she would come to art class and she always had some treat for them.
Always! Their favorite was Runts. 


Remember them??


And for Amber it was pistachios!


Kimmy is her daughter and I have known her even longer than June!

We had the best lunch and laughed and talked and had such a good time!
I need to order some more fruitcake mix because I always bake a batch for June's birthday.
I'm running late in so many ways this year!

Okay, so I got up at 11:00, we did our coffee and reading, went to lunch, pick up medicine at Walgreens, came back home and guess what I did?
Went back to bed!
I slept a solid three hours!
I think I am catching up after our three week vacation!

I got up at 6:00 and started on my chore list.
First I made a great big tuna salad.
It's always good to have something in the fridge that is easy to eat!
Then I baked a Pistachio Crack Cake.


I called Lillian while I was mixing it up and told her I'll be over to see her tomorrow around lunchtime and I can bring hamburgers or KFC. 
She said all she wanted was the cake!


It is all sliced up and in tins now!
A few pieces for Louis Dean. 
Several slices for the staff at the nursing home and the rest go to Lillian.
Oh, I will definitely take a piece to Mother!
It seems she is only eating soft food these days.

Lillian's daughter, Ann, has had some improvement and may be transferred to a rehab center in Weatherford. That's good news. I don't know yet if she has qualified to be on the liver transplant list yet. Perhaps I will know more tomorrow.

The rest of this evening was spent doing a month's worth of our meds - which took the better part of an hour to do!


Then I started back on the baby quilt I'm making for Nita's first great granddaughter!


I'm using the fabric Leah (my niece) had left from the Christmas quilt she made for the Chinese Christmas Tree last year.


I have the quilt top and back sandwiched together and will sew some more tomorrow.
I need to finish this soon as I have a full size quilt to make next week for Nita's first grandson's wedding!


I can do this!

Since it's October I want to show you my Halloween Tree!


It doesn't show up very well in front of the doll cases in the living room.
Next year I will relocate it!


I strung up a set of LED colored battery operated lights on it - because that was all I had!
I would have preferred orange or white ones.


This is the base of the tree.


And I love this spooky candelabra!


I had to get up close so I could show you the cool silicone light bulbs on it!

It all came from Goodwill!

It's now late but since I napped for three hours this evening - it's just now my bedtime!

Good night from Texas!!


17 comments:

Art and Sand said...

This reminds me that I need to bring all my Halloween decor down from the attic - especially my Halloween tree.

Good luck with the quilts.

Estelle's said...

My you must love the cake recipe...it's delish isn't it?I hope you try it with pumpkin too! You are so thoughtful of your dear friends and family....I love how many interests you have...it's just wonderful! Hugs for a great weekend!

Vee said...

It is no wonder with all you do that a three-hour nap is required. 💤 June is beautiful and a good friend. You have so many good friends!

Susie said...

Linda, Happy birthday to June. I bet the kids looked forward to her coming to art class. Glad you all could celebrate the day. The cake you baked to share with everyone at the nursing home is sure pretty. The only thing I bake any more is muffins. I love the little baby quilt. It certainly will be a keepsake. I do not think I will decorate for Halloween, just the fall season. Blessings to all, hugs to your mother. xoxo, love you, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds like it was a good thing you got a nap in between all your busyness and celebrating. I love that baby quilt ! You do put a lot of yourself into the gifts you give. Homemade anything is always better in my opinion. Whether it is cake or quilts. Hope you have a great day! Happy Thursday!

Arlene G said...

Your friend, June, looks great for 87! I am going to have to try that cake...it sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

I like the look of that cake, oh your quilt is beautiful!

Changes in the wind said...

Another full day, the quilt is coming along nicely and I am sure that the cake will be greatly appreciated.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That quilt is darling! What a sweet gift! You are a thoughtful person Linda, no wonder you have so many precious friends!

MadSnapper said...

June is beautiful and that quilt is gorgeous.. it will take a while to catchup from a month away from home.. you are on your way with all the decorations and I am glad I don't bake HA HA

Rain said...

Hi Linda :))

OOOOH I LOVE THE HALLOWEEN TREE!!! How cute is that??? And the candelabra!!! How wonderful :) I haven't started the Halloweenie decorations yet because our Thanksgiving comes first here in Canada, it's next Monday. After that, it's all spooky and eerie in our home!!

The quilt is coming along, it looks really nice! Great work! :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I must admit that I have taken naps and gotten up maybe even later than 6:00! Your Halloween Tree is cute! June looks so much more younger than she really is! I love this fall picture of Louis Dean! Brilliant Blue October sky and a fall shirt. Your quilt looks so professional and lovely! It could sell for a lot of money. I can't imagine doing those drugs for a whole month! I do mine every four days, and it is a chore. But it really does make it easier day to day. Otherwise it would be just too confusing.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The baby quilt is adorable! And of course you make us all want to decorate for Halloween! Lots of hugs to you and Louis Dean!

bj said...

When Bill was with me, I kept a bowl of Chicken Salad made up for sandwiches and etc. Now, I just buy a small amt of it at the store because I can't eat it in large amounts fast enuf anymore. boo hoo...
I also don't decorate for Halloween much....a friendly witch and a few Jack o Lanterns is about it.
I DO, however, decorate the heck out of Christmas......Like most everyone, I love Christmas to death and love decorating the whole house....
Your cake looks amazing.

Saimi said...

It's hard catching up from vacationing so don't push yourself. Your halloween tree is fun and those quilts your making are going to be so appreciated. I also quilt so I know first hand the work and effort that goes into making one. I love decorating for Halloween, Fall and Christmas it's fun to change things up so I'm thankful for the holidays that gives me the opportunity.
Have a great weekend!
Saimi

Carole said...

Good afternoon from Auckland. Spring is now well under way and heaters are being packed away. In about a month I'll be swimming every day. When I bought my house about 4 years ago I thought I didn't really want a pool - but now I really enjoy it - and luckily my better half is really good at maintaining it. Glad you are regaining your energies - I just wish I could sleep during the day - but no such luck no matter how tired/ill I am... Cheers

Judy said...

WOW! You do a lot of decorating!!!