Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Monday on the Oregon Coast! Rockaway Beach and My Friend, Phyliis!

We left Seaside this morning and drove down Highway 101 to Rockaway Beach!


This was my first view of the Pacific Ocean on our road trip.


The Oregon coast is stunningly beautiful!

Guess what I found on the way down?
Hope Chest Thrift Shop!!


I pull over for thrift stores!!


This apple tree in the church parking lot was a bonus!

Louis Dean and I loaded up with a bag or two of treasures.
I asked the lady how long it would take to get to Rockaway Beach and that we were going to a friend's house for lunch. She said it was about 15 minutes and that they had a sister store there and be sure and stop in.

Now little did I know that my friend, Phyliis, had recently retired from her work with New Hope!
She was instrumental in their establishment and had been a big part of the organization for several years. Had I only known......I could have told her just who we were having lunch with!


Meet Phyliis!!! 
She has followed and read my blog for the last two years and we have exchanged a few emails.
I see a firm relationship between us. And Louis Dean and she are now the best of friends!
She is an amazing woman!
We both loved every single minute of our visit with her!


Her home is 100 years old and I would love to live there!!!


Who wouldn't with these views??


I would spend hours out here on her deck - just as she does!!


Everywhere I looked - another great view!


THIS is my favorite!!
I was standing in her living room looking out.....


Louis Dean was in heaven talking music with Phyliis!
I was admiring her denim sofas!!

Her house was warm and fragrant with the good smell of pulled pork in the crock pot!
We were gobbling up the food before I even thought about taking pics!


However, I remembered in time to show this apple cake that was so good.
Warm and cinnamon spiced with nuts and topped with the BEST ice cream and butterscotch topping.
She sent some home with us all wrapped up in foil for us to eat later.
Plus Phyliis makes the best coffee!
We sat and talked and talked some more.
Phyliis and Louis Dean share the special language of music......
he was in heaven. Bless his heart! He was SO happy!!!
While they spoke their music language, I went out to explore a bit.


What a gifted gardener Phyliis is!!!


Flowers are everywhere!

I went down the path and found this gate.....


oh, my!



I hope the sound is okay because I wanted to take you on a walk down to the beach with me.


Gorgeous!


I loved everything about this walk.....the cushy ground covered with pine needles....


A view of her home from the beach.


When I walked back into her yard, I noticed this picnic table with its treasure of beach rocks and shells.


Remember the New Hope Charity Shop?
I'm wearing my new to me Skechers - $2!


I came in and they were still talking!


This was such an important visit for Louis Dean.


He's been out of his comfort zone and to be with someone who enjoys music as much as he does -
it was wonderful!!



She played for him and he sang a bit.


I loved all of the pretty 'debris' in her home.
I could have spent HOURS there! Days!
None of us were ready for the visit to end and Louis Dean kept saying he wished he could talk to her some more. They exchanged emails and I am certain there will be lots of conversations in our future together!

We drove a mile or two down the road and checked into our motel for the night.
Summer keeps finding us great places to stay!


This one is right on the beach with a view from every room.


Louis Dean and I walked down to see the sun set and have a little walk on the beach.


It was spectacular!


Crazy beautiful!


We had such a good day.....


The wind was blowing and it was cold and I loved it all!


Phyliis sent us off with a basket chock full of good stuff!


Our dinner tonight!

I am so grateful for each and every day of this memorable vacation.
Thank you, Phyliis, for giving us this magical visit!
We came to Rockaway Beach because you invited us to lunch.
I am so glad you did!

















16 comments:

Carol said...

I am so glad that you visited with your new friend. Isn't blogging wonderful because of the opportunities it gives us to meet new friends? I am also still grateful that you are having such a good time. By the way, Skechers for $2 is a steal!!

Susie said...

Linda, What a wonderful hostess Phylis was to you and LD. Sounds like a great visit with an amazing blog friend. And LD got to talk music. That had to make him feel good, knowing how much music means to him. I like the ocean views. I liked that deck with all the little containers of plants and flowers. Your walk on the beach with your coat...it's still a fun walk any time you can walk on the beach. Love that sunset. Such a tasty gift basket too. Be safe . Blessings , love you guys, xoxo, Susie

MadSnapper said...

your blog has turned into a travelog. what an amazing day AGAIN...

Kathy said...

Wonderful! Oh how wonderful to meet blog friends and find out they are even better in person than their blogs. Phyllis is a gem for sure. And those sunset pictures on the beach! There are just no words to explain their beauty. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Vee said...

Oh what a beautiful spot on earth that Phylis enjoys. So glad that she shared it with you. Keep having fun!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What pretty views. The beach is always my favorite place to be. That place where your friends lives is wonderful! And the place you stayed over night was too. So glad you are getting the chance to see and do so much.

Changes in the wind said...

Exquisite! What a beautiful home your friend has, so glad you were able to go and visit and of course the ocean and sunsets are just to die for.

Rain said...

Hi Linda :) Nice blog post!! Phyliis' house is AWESOME...what a beautiful deck and a nice area! She's so fortunate! Loved the video, your voice is so sweet! :) Her cake looks SO good...and so does your dinner! Lovely sunset!! :)

Estelle's said...

Oh Linda...what a delightful visit. I so want to visit Oregon and this coastline.....

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Isn’t it delightful to find kindred spirits everywhere?!

What a beautiful home and view she has! Beautiful ocean!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This visit WAS truly amazing! So good for both of you, and food for Louis Dean's soul! You sure do have great thrift shop radar, ha ha!! I like the shoes. She really does live right on the beach, in a sweet little beach cottage. And how kind and wonderful to send you home with this basket of treasures! Once home, you can look at this basket and it will bring back the wonderful memories. Yes, I heard every bit of your wonderful walk! It is great, especially since I have never walked on a beach! gorgeous flowers, too. STUNNING sunset!!

jujupage1 said...

Wow! Truly amazing views!♡

Carole said...

what a wonderful coast! And your sunset pics are just fabulous. cheers

Aloha Acres said...

I just love catching up with you. <3 I have that same denim sofa and it's the most comfortable sofa I've ever sat on.

terre said...

it is such a joy to be following you on your trip. i love road trips (remember i drive to texas every summer to see my grand-boys!) and have driven the oregon coast as well as inland. you got some superb photos of the ocean and scenery. i wonder how far south you intend to drive? enjoy!

your new friend terre over at Zoomama Speaks...

Judy said...

Most special...to meet up with Phyllis! What a great roadtrip. The Oregon coast is amazing.