Friday, October 28, 2022

Okra Pod Santas, The Trolley, Jack #28 and Another Santa Claus Painting!

Last year Nita's sweet Master Gardener neighbor, Sheryl, gifted me a ser of hand knitted washcloths and it was wrapped so pretty in tissue paper with an okra pod painted Santa tied to the package.


We grew okra in our garden here at the ranch - in fact- okra was just about the ONLY thing that grew this year! Since we weren't here often enough to pick them, they grew long and dried out with that intense 100+ summer we had.


The okra is STILL growing now!
Next year I hope to paint all the okra that is on the plants now.

I woke up at 7:30 this morning -
Sherry and I had planned to work the bees and treat for Varroa mites - but that didn't happen. 
I checked the weather and radar and rain was arriving in the next hour - so I went back to bed and didn't get up again until 11:30! Louis Dean slept that late, too!

This was a good day to stay in and listen to the rain as it came down steady nearly all day long.
I did a lot of art and Louis Dean busied himself with small repairs and this and that.

Sherry and Dean had gone to 'town' and they called close to 5:00 saying they were headed into Mart.
I quickly carved tonight's small Jack--o-lantern and we headed in to meet them.

There's a pub in town called The Trolley and we decided to try it out.


I'm not sure what these drinks were but they were pretty.
Sherry's was a kind of pina colada and mine was like a lime popsicle - but not! 


I gave Louis Dean a taste.....and he then ordered a Shiner.
Still - it was fun and we had a little something to eat before heading back to the ranch.


Sherry and I dropped off Jack #28 on the railroad track underneath the caboose on Texas Ave.


The Mart football team (Panthers) are like famous around here and tonight they were playing Dawson.
I just checked the score and saw the congratulations to Coach Kevin Hoffman on his 100th win tonight! I'm thinking this Happy Little Jack smiled back at a lot of smiling people as they came through town heading home.


I finished another Santa tonight before I packed up my brushes and oils and cleared the table.
Tomorrow is our last day here and I am going to clean the camper and cabin and then decorate for Christmas. 

I have all the Christmas decorations I bought for Lillian down here (I must have gone by Fort Worth and undecorated before coming down to the ranch) so I will be putting up a Christmas tree and making things merry for when we come back next month right after Thanksgiving.









11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I don't know how you manage to paint the faces so lifelike and personable! Well, I DO know - TALENT! The Santa okra are so cute and creative!

Hootin Anni said...

I really, really L🎅VE this Santa painting. And your jack is placed perfectly!

Brenda said...

You are so talented…amazing amazing

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh how cute are those little Okra Santas!!! What a fun idea!! And your painting of Santa is absolutely stunning! You truly have a gift! Wow! Sounds like you have been resting and having a good relaxing time, which is what your mind and body needed! Decorating for Christmas now so it will be done already when you come back after Thanksgiving is a great idea!! Then you can just enjoy it!!! Such fun visiting with you!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your Santa painting is very beautiful and I love the okra Santas. I'm glad you are getting some rest! Enjoy your weekend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have seen boards painted like your okra but who would have thought of okra pods as beeins something artistic. You are truly an antist ! No matter what you do it looks beautiful !

Vee said...

I like how you prepare for the next visit in advance. It will be so sweet when you arrive back.

Bet the rain was welcome even if it messed up the plans.

MadSnapper said...

I like that quote,It's always a good time to begin! will try to remember it when I need it.
LOVE the okra, painted or cooked. one of my favorite dishes from my childhood. we ate lots of okra. glad you had a rain day to paint and take life easy.
we are back to needing rain, it has been 5 weeks since Ian and we got the one day of rain and that was it, we did have one small shower 3 weeks ago. I am back to watering plants again. and yet still some parts of FL are still in flood waters that refuse to go down even without rain.

Changes in the wind said...

You sound so much better and love the okra painted. Would never have thought of doing that. Love the big painting too.

photowannabe said...

Your Santas are magnificent and I think the okra ones are so clever.
I am so happy you are rested and enjoying your ranch time. It's good medicine.
I wish I had your energy...
Sue

Carole said...

Happy Halloween! Cheers