Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Chandy's Quilt, Louis Dean's Chicken Fried Steak and Summer's Surgery is in the Morning.....

 I have spent a couple of days in Rest and Recover mode after the Big Birthday Bash on Saturday!
I took a hot shower before going to bed that night and then stayed in my nightgown for the next two days! It was wonderful!! We watched church online Sunday as I just could not summon up enough 'umph' to even get dressed. I guess that's what being one year shy of a quarter of a century does to you.
Sometimes your body just can't DO what your mind WANTS to do.


Sunday afternoon Louis Dean helped me work on the birthday quilt for Chandy - promised 2 years ago!
We had to take it out on the upper kitchen deck so I could pin the backing, batting and top together.
Sunday night I sewed the three layers together.


Monday afternoon I pinned the border from the back to the front.....


After all the pinning was done - I stretched out on the quilt and looked up into the pecan trees over my head.....and had some quiet time with the Lord and prayed for my friends.


The breeze had stirred and I always associate that with the Holy Spirit.
It's such a comforting feeling to know how close we are to God in our everyday doings.


I finished the quilt Monday night and washed it and put it in the dryer before I went to bed.

This morning I was up before Louis Dean and out watering and gathering up trash for pick up -
that's how Sanford and Son have moved out of our back yard....a trash bag at a time.
Every single trash pick up day - which is Tuesday and Friday for our neighborhood - more of the junk/trash/debris - is moved out of the back yard, storage buildings and deck boxes and onto the curb - where it miraculously disappears! 

Step by step and bag by bag.....I am making progress!
This has made me realize that we have more power and control than we think we do.
For so long I looked over at the yard full of awfulness and felt helpless.
Then I started bagging it all up - one bag at a time - until it isn't nearly as awful as it was!

I am reminded that just chipping away a little at a time will make all the difference.
This principle applies to so many situations.

This is Tuesday and that usually means time with Brenda.....
and we did meet at Whataburger for tea this afternoon.
No Tuesday Treasures unless you count our time together and I DO!
The thrift stores are a bonus but the real treasure of Tuesday is our connection and conversation.
We share our thoughts, plans and what's happening in our lives.
Sometimes this is as we shop the thrift stores and other times over a margarita at Fuzzy Tacos or at Whataburger with tea for two.

Friends are so very important and if you do not have one - you need to go out there and FIND one.
You can add friends to the ones you already hold dear.....


I came home and went back to work so to speak.
Housework, laundry and paying bills.
There's a certain amount of responsibility in running a household


Tonight Louis Dean made chicken fried steak for dinner.
I had already prepared the mashed potatoes and green peas.


It was such a good meal but his gravy was awesome!!
He was in his element in the kitchen tonight and I was more than happy to do clean up.....
and - trust me - there was plenty!


As for my plans for this Tuesday - I was determined to do do some art!
And I did!
I laid my palette and did some background work on the Santa painting.
It's easier to do once you START!

We are so blessed to have a city home and a country home....
 

Stepson Dean sent us this pic as he was working on Sherry's vehicle....
He was working under the truck....heard a commotion and found the two eggs....


then the next day he found FOUR!!!
Oh, the fun and joy of country living!!
I miss BEING there!


I close tonight's journal entry past midnight....
and I need to go to bed as soon as I post this.
Summer is here and I will be taking her to the Rowlett surgery center in the morning for her hand.
She's had to be off her medicine since last week and each day has increased in pain for her.....

Prayers for my daughter and for all my Florida friends.....




15 comments:

Phoebes World said...

Beautiful quilt...all that time and effort put into it makes it even more special..Im sure Chandy will love it
Amen to the rustling in the trees. I often sit in the garden just listening to the sound... and believe me it can get quite rough as we seem to live in a wind tunnel. But its still relaxing
Delicious looking dinner Louis Dean... I could eat a dish of peas alone...with a bit of mint sauce.. and who doesnt love gravy???
Prayers for Summer..I hope all goes well
And finally... How do you move a mountain??? One stone at a time... Well done Lovely Lady
Phoebe x

Hootin Anni said...

Wow L D's meal looks so yummy. Love the quilt Linda. What a work of art!! Hope the surgery goes well.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. I don't think I have around to visit your blog for a while so it is good to hear how things are going. That is a beautiful quilt you are making for Chandy! Prayers for Summer to have a good outcome from surgery. That Country Fried Steak looks so good! Let us know how Summer is. See you again soon!

So Much Glory said...

Linda - the quilt is so beautiful! The eggs are hilarious! Our chickens make us laugh every day! Love Louis Dean’s lounging pants - I got my hubby the same pair ;). Prayers for all in Ian’s path….

Changes in the wind said...

Two days of rest are just what was needed and I love how you are tackling the back yard one bag at a time:) That chicken fried steak dinner made my mouth water and so glad it was so good. What a quilt that is!!! Glad you have made such progress and am sure she will love it. Blessing to Summer and the surgery.

Chandy Johnson said...

Oh my goodness i LOOOOVE it!!!!!! 🥲🥲🥲❤️❤️❤️ I cant wait to see you guys Friday. 🥰 l love you.

MadSnapper said...

Praying for summer! love the quilt. love that cute hubby cooking. glad you had some stay home in a gown time. thanks for the prayers, its gusting to 60 right now and in a couple to 3 hours will be gusting to 90 and above. this storm is a nasty one

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll pray for Summer's surgery, Hopefully it will give her some relief from the pain. I do have a few good friends like yours, it is always good to get together and catch up. What ever would we do without them. I love the quilt and you are so lucky to have someone there to cook for you. That is a blessing too. I too am praying for those in Florida and all affected by the Hurricane. Hope it turns out to be a great day for you!

Arlene G said...

I like your analogy of getting rid of things one bag at a time. So often we feel overwhelmed but we do have some control over our issues. Some stitchers I know put one strand of floss in a piece of needlework every day. Just one strand, only takes about 15 minutes but if you do it every day, one day you have a completed piece. Hope all goes well for Summer. Your quilt is beautiful and I am sure that Chandy will be very happy to get it.

Susie said...

Yes, Linda, prayers for all in need. I like the one bag at a time thing. Hang a store bag on a doorknob and every day put something in it till pickup day. That's one way to get started. One day here soon, I am going to be shipping out some dvd's of westerns to L.D. LOL oh yes that's another way to thin out...send to our friends. LOL The quilt is going to be loved. Praying for sweet Summer. Blessings to all, xoxo, Love, Susie

photowannabe said...

Hubby and I were at a bakery this morning to have our "Wednesdate" and get some donuts for my friends 82 birthday.
As I sipped my coffee I was reading your blog. I started to get all teary eyed and Dave said , what's wrong?
I said I really don't have a heart gal friend close enough to do things with. I have lots of wonderful friends and acquaintences but no longer that special "heart" friend. They have all moved out of state or too many miles away to say lets go have a cup of coffee and gab.
I love doing the date things with Dave and all but I really miss what I used to have.
I am praying that I can take your advice and "Go out and find a new one".
Love the quilt. You do amazing work and yummm on the chicken fried steak.
Oh my a half a dozen eggs under the car..that's better than going to the grocery store.
Praying for Summer and the surgery. Praying for relief and renewed energy.
So concerned for all in Florida prayers for them too.
Love you
Sue

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What fun to discover those eggs! You came up with the energy to finish that beautiful quilt! Wonderful job♥

Carole said...

Hoping Summer's op goes well. Great that LD felt like cooking. And those eggs - how precious! Cheers

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful quilt, and a yummy looking dinner.
Was there a nest under the truck that the eggs were being laid in? What kind are they? That's quite an amazing story.
Prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for Summer.

Mandy said...

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Summer. The quilt is beautiful! What a treasure!